Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Container Vessels (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=307)
-   -   Question about the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=145946)

kepler22b 23rd March 2016 01:48

Question about the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller

If you look at this photo (http://www.odin.tc/pics/triplee.jpg) you'll see that the ship can carry a lot containers, but with all those containers in the bow, how does the ship deal with stability? If it has a lot of containers at the front, I suppose the ship would "sink" at the front...

Satanic Mechanic 23rd March 2016 02:38

Ballast tanks

chadburn 23rd March 2016 10:34

I thought that with the "lower speed ships" Mearsk were chopping off the Bulbous Bow?

R58484956 23rd March 2016 16:19

Greetings kepler22b and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Satanic Mechanic 24th March 2016 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadburn (Post 1928458)
I thought that with the "lower speed ships" Mearsk were chopping off the Bulbous Bow?

Oh big debate there with all the Narks getting their collective knickers in a twist with the inevitable wild claims of savings and counter claims of shamanism and witchcraft. I swear to god if I see another model pool photograph 'proving' one or other opinion my next step will be to visit the pool with a fully functional model attack submarine or maybe a model pirate ship.

It basically seems to come down to this, there is a speed below which bulbous bows are no longer effective and indeed cost fuel, above that different bows are required for different speed/draft combinations. Next try to predict the trading pattern for the next 5 years and fit the appropriate bow - this involves consulting with a Nark who after performing arcane rituals and the ritual sacrifice of chickens and other small animals will give you a suggestion and a photograph of a model, he will also recommend brackets and carlings- but they always do that, they can't help themselves.

kepler22b 24th March 2016 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by R58484956 (Post 1928914)
Greetings kepler22b and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Thank you :)

chadburn 24th March 2016 09:20

Y
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic (Post 1929834)
Oh big debate there with all the Narks getting their collective knickers in a twist with the inevitable wild claims of savings and counter claims of shamanism and witchcraft. I swear to god if I see another model pool photograph 'proving' one or other opinion my next step will be to visit the pool with a fully functional model attack submarine or maybe a model pirate ship.

It basically seems to come down to this, there is a speed below which bulbous bows are no longer effective and indeed cost fuel, above that different bows are required for different speed/draft combinations. Next try to predict the trading pattern for the next 5 years and fit the appropriate bow - this involves consulting with a Nark who after performing arcane rituals and the ritual sacrifice of chickens and other small animals will give you a suggestion and a photograph of a model, he will also recommend brackets and carlings- but they always do that, they can't help themselves.

Sounds more like a hinge and bracket to me(Jester) never had these worries pre CAD/CAM.

R870879 24th March 2016 10:38

Crew list

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepler22b (Post 1928234)
If you look at this photo (http://www.odin.tc/pics/triplee.jpg) you'll see that the ship can carry a lot containers, but with all those containers in the bow, how does the ship deal with stability? If it has a lot of containers at the front, I suppose the ship would "sink" at the front...

Slightly off subject I know but amongst the facts and figures about Maersk's new container ships, it mentions "normal crew 19 maximum 34". Anyone know how those figures are arrived at?

chadburn 24th March 2016 11:56

Normal running Crew and the occasional 'Flying Squad' to help when it comes to maintaining the vessel at sea in good order due to the normal lean manning limitations which can allow faults to build up. Upper limit determined by Cabin space and Lifesaving Apparatus? Lower by minimum manning level.

R870879 24th March 2016 14:24

What is a normal running crew comprised of? i.e. Captain, navigating officers, engineers, catering and GP ratings?

Frank P 24th March 2016 21:40

I have heard that there are no catering staff on these ships, all the food is pre-cooked and frozen and the crew use use the microwave ovens to heat it when needed. How true that is I am not sure....

chadburn 24th March 2016 23:04

Again it's shore side ideas being moved across to the shipping world, there are Freezers onboard full of pre packed meals( a bit like Wiltshire Farm Foods) along with Microwaves for any Maintenance riding Crew who are landed to rectify any defects. We all know that Computers cannot be wrong that's what the Banks tell us, and that certain Radio Frequencies cannot possibly interfere with engine management systems(Jester)

Robert Bush 28th March 2016 15:53

Minimum Manning Scales

Niether Maersk nor Denmark are Saints when it comes to setting minimums.

Remember as charterer's rep on a Maersk VLCC with a 14 man crew declaring it unsafe for lightering. The operation took five hours with The Master alone on the bridge and one man with a broken arm. Two of the ABs were giving lip to an over worked 3rd. Mate.

Charterer put the ship off hire until five ABs were flown out from Copenhagen.

Maersk has huge influence in Denmark due to its size. Go figure

wharferat 22nd January 2017 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank P (Post 1931082)
I have heard that there are no catering staff on these ships, all the food is pre-cooked and frozen and the crew use use the microwave ovens to heat it when needed. How true that is I am not sure....

That is one rumour I can dispel. I have recently paid off a Maersk Triple E & the normal crewing on all Maersk's own container ships includes a Cook & Steward.

A lot of Maersk's ships when dry docking are getting new bulbous bows, reckoned to be more efficient at the lower service speeds than originally built for, also in some cases new propellers are being fitted for the same reason. Normal trim when on a sea voyage is down by the bow as this also delivers efficiency savings. It may seem to some to be penny pinching & more hassle than it's worth, but the savings when applied across a fleet the size of the one that Maersk operate becomes appreciable, measured in millions of dollars per year.