Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Other Companies/Ships (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=351)
-   -   Rowbotham Tankships Ltd (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=15751)

derekhore 6th January 2008 10:56

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

There must be plenty of ex-Rockies on here, certainly some threads following on in the picture gallery would indicate that, so, in the words of a Norwich City Chairwoman.."Let's be 'avin you!"

Me - mate & 2nd mate - March 1980/July 1987......Rudderman (x3), Helmsman, Tillerman (my regular vessel x17), Orionman, Leadsman (x3), River Shannon (x4), Oilman (x3), Pointsman, Oarsman, Eastgate, Quarterman, Echoman (x4), Polarisman, Stellaman.

vasco 6th January 2008 13:31

http://www.james-fisher.co.uk/services_marine_oil.php

This is the list of Fishers Ships currently.

Alas there are none of your old vessels left. The last to go was the Tankerman (Severn Fisher) last month. Oarsman about 2003, Tillerman (Lough Fisher) about the same.

I joined Fishers after the take overs, so will be no help to you really, but I am sure somebody will.
Welcome to the site, it lives up to its name.

derekhore 6th January 2008 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasco (Post 175199)
http://www.james-fisher.co.uk/services_marine_oil.php

This is the list of Fishers Ships currently.

Alas there are none of your old vessels left. The last to go was the Tankerman (Severn Fisher) last month. Oarsman about 2003, Tillerman (Lough Fisher) about the same.

Hi.....

The Tillerman (807 grt) you are referring to was not mine!!

She was sold in Leith back in January 1986 .. to a Greek company who took her down to the Medi via Plymouth, to service fishing fleets.

The Tankerman was the largest vessel in the Robo fleet when I left in 1987, and was on a long term MOD charter in those days, spent a lot of her time in Pompey! She was built in Appledore, North Devon, along the same lines as the BP Hunter & BP Harrier .. probably the last big vessels to be built at that shipyard sadly.
I left them when P & O took over and changed the flag to the Isle of Man.

Do you know what became of the Oilman? She was a handy little job and took over the BP charter round the West coast of Scotland from us, although she was far too quick to discharge in some ports, in & out in hours!! .. Not good!!

vasco 6th January 2008 15:06

Here is a picture of the Tankerman https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hp/photo/95014

She was extended, I was on her for a good few trips and it was ok, but latterly her age started to show.Not many tears shed when she went. As one person once said of her "had career breaker" wriitten down the side.

Sorry, no idea about the oilman.

derekhore 6th January 2008 16:11

Good pic .. you can't see the join!!

price 6th January 2008 17:18

Hello Derek and Vasco,
I joined Rowbothams in the Spring of 1968, first ship was the Guidesman with Capt. Tommy Williams. I was later on the Pointsman (1933), Tillerman, chartsman, Oarsman (778 grt.), Steersman (334 grt), Bridgeman (369 grt), Helmsman (531 grt), Wheelsman, Steersman (1566 grt), Leadsman and the Rudderman (1592 grt). I was on most of these vessels many times in different capacities, leaving the company early in 1973. My first command was the Bridgeman during the winter of 1968/69. Many happy memories, too many to recount in this post, I worked at Pembroke Refinery from the mid 1970s until my retirement in 1998 so was still in touch.

Bruce.

Peter Eccleson 18th January 2008 14:08

Tankerman

1 Attachment(s)
I stood by her at Appledore Shipyards. Did the radio/navaids installation and commissioning and sailed on trials and first positioning voyage as 'Radio Officer'.

She was a nice ship. Was she sold for further trading or scrap?

Fond memories of sunny days in Devon! Appledores was a great yard to work in.

Cheers
(Pint)

Thamesphil 18th January 2008 14:20

The OILMAN (built 1982) is currently owned by Papua New Guinea owners and operating in local trades. She is now named PACKULA. The TANKERMAN is still in Fisher's fleet as the SEVERN FISHER.

Peter Eccleson 18th January 2008 14:31

1 Attachment(s)
Thamesphil

Vasco (above) says the Severn Fisher went 2007?

willincity 18th January 2008 16:43

I was Master onboard Rowbotham's chemical tankers between 76 to 87
Vegaman- Orionman - Centuarman - Stellaman - Marsman great runs from NW Europe down the Med and back, 6 weeks on 4 weeks off, in those days it was class in a glass. They then sold them all within 6 months and I remained for another year or so on their Type III chem/tank the Echoman although she only ran CPP and was never good enough to carry simple easy chems.
I also sailed on the "scrap yard" known as the Polarisman out in the Caribbean then followed that up with my last trip on a then Robo's tanker, the never to be forgotten, Westgate in Ethiopia in the months of July and August. (I lost over 12 kilos in 10 weeks on that ship) it was time to move on.
That said bar for the last 12 months I considered them to be a decent 11 years with Rowbothams but then around about the same time leave with the Scandinavian chemical ships was opening up to 1 for 1 so move on I did.
There were some good seaman in the Rowbotham fleet and when on the short sea runs (Tees-R'Dam - Antwerp) the AB's were spot on with tank cleaning and we rarely had a cargo tank knocked back while on the chemical trade.

Thamesphil 18th January 2008 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson (Post 178968)
Thamesphil

Vasco (above) says the Severn Fisher went 2007?

Yes, my apologies. A sale was agreed with Nigerian interests on 20/11/2007. However, I wasn't aware that she had already been handed over to new owners.

Phil

derekhore 18th January 2008 17:07

Willincity....

Do I know you?

:)

willincity 18th January 2008 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekhore (Post 179020)
Willincity....

Do I know you?

:)

You may well do,

derekhore 18th January 2008 17:46

Hmmmmm!

:D

kevinseery 18th January 2008 20:35

Lough Fisher was previously the Cableman not Tillerman which was a 12000 tonner they bought 2nd hand from Thuntank. I was with Hull gates from 1981 through the time Rowbothams bought them, then P&O, then Fishers bought them in 1997. They made me redundant in 2003 so I went to Everards, now Fishers own Everards. It's like being on a carousel with the same faces coming round and round. The Rocky ships I was on were Pointsman, Cableman and The Anchorman class (built in Malaysia mid 90's).

Barry Man 10th February 2008 15:08

I wonder if you guys know that a book about the Rowbotham company and fleet was published by the World Ship Society a few years ago.

kevhogg 10th February 2008 15:32

was AB on Tankerman Helmsman and Tillerman '91/92 good crowds and decent outfit

derekhore 10th February 2008 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Man (Post 186831)
I wonder if you guys know that a book about the Rowbotham company and fleet was published by the World Ship Society a few years ago.

Indeed, there is currently one for sale on Ebay!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ype=osi_widget

timo 10th February 2008 16:39

that ship the never to be forgotten, Westgate in Ethiopia in the months of July and August. (I lost over 12 kilos in 10 weeks)

I had a couple of mates (AB's) who were on the Westgate late 1982, I think they relieved the crew that took the ship down to Ethiopa, they both lost the best part of 2 stone each in the 3 months out there. I heard storys of chickens being slaughtered on the quay and being bought up the gangway, they said joining and paying off was a long drawn out affair too, I knew a couple of other guys who went out there towards the end of the charter and going by what they said things got better, not great, just better.

cymruman 10th February 2008 18:20

Did 3 trips on westgate in Ethiopia ( 2 as second eng and 1 as chief ). Not the first choice of trips to do but it was generally a good trip. Had to switch off at Heathrow and just get on with it. First journey out took about 10 days but after that it was about 7.
Only time I ve flown in a DC3 which proved quite interesting, once the runway in Assab had been cleared of various livestock. Great trip for losing weight as well as mind

andyhlc 10th February 2008 23:44

ex rockies

(Thumb) i was with hulgates first then rockies until 97 and since then i have been working offshore

andy balderson

derekhore 11th February 2008 15:03

Was mate on the Eastgate shortly after Rowbums took over....the Captain was a guy called Shenton. (I think his nickname was "sha**er"!!!)
We ended up doing the Irish run with the River Shannon.

andyhlc 14th February 2008 19:34

eastgate skipper

i was with sh*****R a few times when i was cook i found him alright even so a few did not , but i got on with him ,
derck how long was you with Hullgates, can you remember Brian Wilson from Hull (skipper on the Northgate) hope to see your reply

andy

KEITH SEVILLE 16th February 2008 11:02

Does anybody remember Captain Rodney Burnet who served on the Orionman
and the Bridgeman?
He was from Southampton and married to an nurse.
Would be about 67 years old I think now

Keith

derekhore 16th February 2008 13:20

andyhlc .....
I was not actually with Hullgates, I was with Rowbothams, but sailed on the Eastgate Feb 86 - April 86 as mate after Rockies had taken them over.

Keith ....
Rodney Burnet, known affectionately as "The Roadrunner" due to the way he dashed about on the bridge! Rumour had it he wore out a pair of shoes every trip!
Was with him when he was Captain of the Orionman in late 1980