Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Ferries (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Wightlink Victoria of Wight tow from Turkey (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=268239)

albertd 21st July 2018 19:15

Wightlink Victoria of Wight tow from Turkey

I have been following the progress of the tug Amber II which it is towing Wightlink's new ferry Victoria of Wight to Portsmouth.

Earlier this afternoon, just SE of Sicily I noticed that it had deviated from its west heading almost north. It has continued on that heading (approx 340) since then.

I am wondering the reason. Have they encountered some refugees and taking them to safety perhaps?

See this link to Marine Traffic (select Past Track).

Mad Landsman 21st July 2018 20:03

Slowed right down just before the turn but does not seem to have stopped, then picked up speed at a couple of knots less then voyage speed - Maybe has a 'technical' problem.

albertd 21st July 2018 21:17

Yes, that is certainly another possibility. We may, or may not, find out. Interesting though.

Dickyboy 21st July 2018 21:34

1 Attachment(s)
I've also been tracking her. Perhaps it's just for bunkers.

George.GM 21st July 2018 21:36

Why is she being towed ? Don't they know the way ? It's quite easy.
Leave Cyprus to starboard, Malta to port, bear starboard just past Gib and
starboard again at Finisterre then sharp left at the Nab.
Doesn't auger well for finding her way from Pompey to Fishborne

Dickyboy 21st July 2018 22:04

1 Attachment(s)
Victoria of Wight

albertd 21st July 2018 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by George.GM (Post 2918003)
Why is she being towed ? Don't they know the way ? It's quite easy.
Leave Cyprus to starboard, Malta to port, bear starboard just past Gib and
starboard again at Finisterre then sharp left at the Nab.
Doesn't auger well for finding her way from Pompey to Fishborne

Strange thoughts there! Started nowhere near Cyprus and if she did a sharp left at the Nab, she would miss Portsmouth completely.

Seems to be following the coast towards Catania.

albertd 22nd July 2018 08:23

By this morning, they are well north of Catania, heading on towards Messina. Very strange.

Still showing Pompey as the destination.

albertd 22nd July 2018 10:51

Apparently the reason for using the tow is that the ferry has no sleeping accommodation for a crew to use during the delivery voyage. I would also imagine that it will reduce wear and tear on the new ship before arrival at Portsmouth.

George.GM 22nd July 2018 11:55

Correct mine Albert. Leave Crete to port not Cyprus. Then on to the Nab where
she will pick up the Pompey pilot who knows the way.
And surely the cost of the tow could be saved by the crew "hard lying" for a few days !
But then Wightlink are rolling in it !

albertd 22nd July 2018 12:10

Curiouser and curiouser!

An hour ago she turned south again, having nearly reached the Straits of Messina, but still fairly slow at about 5 kts instead of the 7 she was doing yesterday morning before deviating.

Could be a technical problem. The weather in the area looks OK, as far as I can tell.

Mad Landsman 22nd July 2018 12:42

Here's a thought - Maybe someone at Messina is in the market to buy a new ferry.
A sales demo opportunity presented itself and the builders asked for it to go up and 'have a look' at how it handles whirlpools etc.

James_C 22nd July 2018 13:15

The other thing to consider regarding the tow is that she may not meet MCA requirements with regard to structure/stability/LSA etc for even a delivery voyage through international waters, hence she may only be issued a certificate of fitness for towing.

albertd 23rd July 2018 10:54

Still trundling up and down the east coast of Sicily!

Ron Stringer 23rd July 2018 10:56

Maybe the builders are waiting for payment before handing over the vessel. (Jester)

albertd 24th July 2018 17:32

I understand that the reason for the delay is difficult weather in the western Med exceeding a wave height restriction.

Edit three hours later: It look as if they may be on their way at last. They have turned south earlier than before and picked up speed to about 7 knots.

neilbernard 27th July 2018 03:33

I can't access SN like I used to-I can't even access The pix I uploaded.
What's happened and how do I get back please?
I really miss it
cheers, Neilbernard

Mad Landsman 27th July 2018 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilbernard (Post 2923527)
I can't access SN like I used to-I can't even access The pix I uploaded.
What's happened and how do I get back please?
I really miss it
cheers, Neilbernard

Lots of threads on the subject if you have a look around on the subject of 'gallery' - It, and the directory, have been lost by the site owners.
I hope you still have you own pictures because you have no chance of finding them here.

Sorry to be the bearer if bad news(Smoke)

albertd 27th July 2018 09:47

To return to the subject of Amber II and Victoria of Wight. Following the delay off the coast of Sicily, they have now been underway again for several days and are off the coast of Algeria.

When they get to the Isle of Wight, I wonder if they will take the shorter route via The Needles rather than all the way round via The Nab. The draughts of the two vessels suggests it is possible.

Stevie B 28th July 2018 19:48

They will go via the Nab otherwise they would have to take a Southampton pilot at the East Lepe then take a Portsmouth pilot around the North Sturbridge. Via the Nab it’ll just be the Pompey pilot.

albertd 30th July 2018 15:03

OK, thanks.

Stevie B 31st July 2018 15:32

She’s just passed Gibraltar

albertd 1st August 2018 17:08

Thanks Stevie. Yes, and now SW of Portugal. Still sending an ETA Pompey of 6 August (5 days from now) on the AIS. I can't imagine that is now very realistic after the delay, but we will see.

Stevie B 1st August 2018 18:56

Rumour has it that the tow will end at St Helens anchorage then local tugs will take over and move her to the hulk moorings.

albertd 1st August 2018 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B (Post 2933339)
Rumour has it that the tow will end at St Helens anchorage then local tugs will take over and move her to the hulk moorings.

That sounds pretty logical. After all, the local tug crews will be familiar with any peculiarities of the tides etc.