Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   The Radio Room (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=365)
-   -   Coast Station call-signs .... (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=17132)

hawkey01 9th March 2008 17:15

Just adding a reply to one of the other threads which jogged my memory.
9H2015 or similar - Kuching Radio - which if I remember correctly was on the air for about 5 mins at various times during the day. I did once manage to get him but think we were about to pick up the pilot at Sejingkat. Think he had even less power than my Span VII.
Hawkey01

Tai Pan 9th March 2008 17:51

EAR. Monsanto or Gentle Jesus. wx report aleays gentle breezes.

BA204259 9th March 2008 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Garner (Post 196484)

EAR was a Spanish station John, 'tho can't remember which one. Monsanto was Portuguese and his c/s was CTV. It was a monastery and the monks did the wx and ran the radio station. As far as I recall they just broadcast a wx report (that is they didn't offer a commercial service) and it was invariably "gentle breezes" (hence Gentle Jesus) and "light airs and zephyrs". Often when there was a Biscay gale howling round your lug'oles.

Trevorw 10th March 2008 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Garner (Post 196484)

You're getting old John! Monsanto wasn't a Spanish coast station, it was Portugese, call sign CTV.

His claim to fame was in his weather forecasts - you never had light breezes, it was always, "Gentle zephyrs".

Incedentally John, Monsanto was run and manned by monks!

trotterdotpom 10th March 2008 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevorw (Post 196595)
You're getting old John! Monsanto wasn't a Spanish coast station, it was Portugese, call sign CTV.

His claim to fame was in his weather forecasts - you never had light breezes, it was always, "Gentle zephyrs".

Incedentally John, Monsanto was run and manned by monks!

I recall Monsanto broadcasting "Gentle Breezes" too - I think they updated from "zephyrs". Whatever they were sending, there obviously wasn't a window in the building.

It's interesting to hear that the place was run by monks, I thought it was a Portuguese naval station. They must have spent a lot of time at mass because they were never listening to ships (apart from the time they reported me for transmitting in Silence Period!).

John T.

Ron Stringer 10th March 2008 14:55

Gentle breezes - and don't forget the 'smooth wavelets'. Never mind that in reality you were rolling onto your beam ends, Monsanto always had a more optimistic and gentle view.

andysk 10th March 2008 15:27

I thought Monsanto was CTB ? maybe the memory cells are deteriorating quicker than I thought ! Their other favourite phrase was "fluffy white clouds" at one time, when in the middle of a storm !

The West African coast, TUA, Abidjan, always reliable for sending the OBS messages to on MF.

Tai Pan 10th March 2008 15:53

I give up, you are quite correct, getting old.

Empordā 11th March 2008 19:43

EAR was La Coruņa Radio (funny A2 noise) which operated together with Vigo Radio EAF. Both were closed down in 1986 and substituted by Finisterre RADIO EAF.

BA204259 11th March 2008 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empordā (Post 197244)
EAR was La Coruņa Radio (funny A2 noise)...

Thanks for the reminder.. I remember some of the Spanish coast-stations didn't have a very musical tone, more of a hiss!

K urgess 11th March 2008 20:10

Try this for a blast from the past. (Sad)

Just click on the Kunstfunkstellen/ Coast Station button

Roger Bentley 11th March 2008 20:50

Very busy monks!

I don't think CTV Monsanto radio had anything to do with a monastery if they did they must have been awful busy as they worked every frequency from the usual MF up to 22 Mhz. According to the list accounts were settled by Minstry of Marine, sounds more like a commercial or naval outfit rather than the Franscicans etc. Although they did persist in the old zephyr breezes in their Wx bulletins.

BA204259 11th March 2008 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib (Post 197254)
Try this for a blast from the past. (Sad)

Just click on the Kunstfunkstellen/ Coast Station button

Often have a shufti round Seefunker, including just now EAF and EAS, they sounded more musical than the ones I remember from the early sixties.

BA204259 11th March 2008 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Bentley (Post 197260)
I don't think CTV Monsanto radio had anything to do with a monastery if they did they must have been awful busy as they worked every frequency from the usual MF up to 22 Mhz. According to the list accounts were settled by Minstry of Marine, sounds more like a commercial or naval outfit rather than the Franscicans etc. Although they did persist in the old zephyr breezes in their Wx bulletins.

Couldn't argue with you Roger if you've seen where the accounts were done. I know when I was at sea the perceived wisdom was that CTV was a monastery. All I remember is taking their weather forecast on M/W and I certainly don't remember them on H/F or as a commercial station. As far as I'm aware the only commercial H/F marine radio station in Portugal was Lisbon/CUL. But that was a long time ago and the grey cells tend to disappear at a rapid rate now, so who knows? Truth or just merely legend? I know which I prefer to think. (Thumb)

Trevorw 12th March 2008 01:19

Talking of funny warbling notes - does anyone remember IAR (Roma) sounded like he'd got laryngitis!
Malin Head/EJM had a teriffic sound.
For me though, the best one of all, both in terms of sound quality and good morse, was PCH, Scheveningen

Cunarder 12th March 2008 01:27

Agreed Trevor - and usually the first Euro station to appear on 500 homeward bound around the Cape or from any other direction....

Moulder 12th March 2008 10:47

The best sound of all was the commanding tone of GLD when you first heard him homeward bound.

(Thumb)

Tai Pan 12th March 2008 13:02

SUQ. Suez canal station sounded like a camel breaking wind.

Roger Bentley 12th March 2008 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA204259 (Post 197267)
Couldn't argue with you Roger if you've seen where the accounts were done. I know when I was at sea the perceived wisdom was that CTV was a monastery. All I remember is taking their weather forecast on M/W and I certainly don't remember them on H/F or as a commercial station. As far as I'm aware the only commercial H/F marine radio station in Portugal was Lisbon/CUL. But that was a long time ago and the grey cells tend to disappear at a rapid rate now, so who knows? Truth or just merely legend? I know which I prefer to think. (Thumb)

Thanks for the comment - I had another look at the 1955 list of coast and ship stations just to recap and the listed stations for Portugal at that time were Boa Nova CTI, Cascais Radio CTC, with CTAA listed as the call sign for all Portugese warships, Faro radio CTT, Monsanto CTV numerous listed with figure suffixes, Sagres radio CTS, and Pilotos Cascais radio CTS, the only station not using T as the second letter was good old CUL, and I now note that the settlement for the CT calls was as stated the Ministry of Marine, therefore I now think these were all Naval stations. As CUL charges were settled by CPRM Companhia POrtugese Radio Marconi. so you are quite correct there was only one commercial station. I learn something new everyday! Best regards, Roger(Thumb)

K urgess 13th March 2008 19:38

GLD sounded a bit different.
Something to do with the transmitter offset on 500, I believe.

mikeg 13th March 2008 20:26

Kris,

I like your new radio room clock avatar, are you hopeing time will go backwards?

Mike

K urgess 13th March 2008 21:46

Can't find the reference to GLD that I had before. It may be on the "QRT 500" DVD about the close down.
I thought it might be on here which has some interesting info. It may have just been that their tone was as low as was allowed.

That's right, Mike.
We spend all our time looking back in time so I thought turning the clock back would be a good idea. [=P]
Now I have to find an appropriate "pig Latin" saying.

Cheers
Kris

K urgess 13th March 2008 22:00

Yes the reference was on the DVD "QRT 500".
GLD's note was produced because they actually transmitted on 498kc/s.
The crystal controlled transmitters were specially designed to transmit on 500kc/s plus or minus 2kc/s.
This was done so that all the British coast stations on 500 could be distinguished from each other in the UK's high traffic area.
The first transmitters were 1Kw W5 replaced later by the W50 2kW units. GLD had a booster amplifier to give 5Kw.

Salaams
Kris

trotterdotpom 14th March 2008 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib (Post 197939)
Now I have to find an appropriate "pig Latin" saying.

Cheers
Kris

Not Pig Latin but how about..."Tempus fugit, non autem memoria" (Time flies but not memory).

John T.

Moulder 16th March 2008 01:42

Anyone remember the c/s of St.Helena Radio (Jamestown)? - believe it was operated by C&W and remember sending them my OBS.

Steve.
(Thumb)