Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Colliers (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=300)
-   -   CEGB Steam Colliers (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=8709)

John Mavin 15th November 2006 21:11

CEGB Steam Colliers

I've put a picture, albeit not a good one, of James Rowan and Sir Wiliam Walker on the gallery under Coasters. I'm trying to find some more of them which may be of interest.

Regards

John Mavin

nigelcollett 16th November 2006 11:25

Thanks John

Have been looking out for one of the Walker as the one I is not poor its attrocious!

Regards

NigelC

ruud 16th November 2006 11:53

1 Attachment(s)
Ahoy Nigel,
How about this one?
Courtesy/©A.Duncan

Thamesphil 16th November 2006 19:13

Sir William Walker

2 Attachment(s)
There seems to be a lot of interest, not just in this thread, regarding these colliers. I have to say that they were amongst my favorites and I was lucky enough to capture both Sir William Walker and James Rowan on film not long before they were sold.

ruud 30th December 2006 10:45

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thamesphil (Post 89182)
There seems to be a lot of interest, not just in this thread, regarding these colliers. I have to say that they were amongst my favorites and I was lucky enough to capture both Sir William Walker and James Rowan on film not long before they were sold.

Ahoy Phil,
Here another shot of the Sir William Walker1954 taken at Commissioners Straith North Shields 24-06-1956

robandbarbara 3rd April 2007 23:19

C.E.G.B. collierr

1 Attachment(s)
' Battersea' approaching Westminster Bridge, 11.07.1952

zelo1954 3rd April 2007 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruud (Post 97332)
Ahoy Phil,
Here another shot of the Sir William Walker1954 taken at Commissioners Straith North Shields 24-06-1956

Sir William Walker holds a special place in my memories too. It was the first vessel I ever saw launched. I was 7 at the time and recall being on the Wearmouth Bridge not being able to understand why about 1/2 the town was also out that evening gawping down the river in the general direction of Austin's shipyard. I had absolutely no idea what was going on until I saw this big hulk on the riverbank move down the slip and enter the water. Looking up the records it was on 16th July 1954.

Cheers, Geoff

ruud 3rd April 2007 23:47

Ahoy gents,
For all you admirers of the SIR WILLIAM WALKER 1954,here another shot of her.
Courtesy/©Real Photographs
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9...4reawr3.th.jpg

backsplice 4th April 2007 09:58

during my years on the NE coast I saw hundreds of ships but these CEGB colliers were just magic to the point of a little bit of envy I always thought the should have been short sea traders .........only my own observation from the good old days ....yours aye Backsplice

robandbarbara 5th April 2007 23:46

CEGB Colliers

1 Attachment(s)
Polden. at Portsmouth., 07.1963. Eventually ended up as the 'Stinto' (Italy)

ruud 6th April 2007 10:04

Ahoy RobandBarbara,
A fine shot of the Polden, here another view of her stern side.
Courtesy/© by our member Donald MacFie.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9...fiemzy3.th.jpg

Kit Smith 27th May 2007 18:41

I had a newspaper article that told the story where they were going to put the james Rowan in the Tames as a training ship, did not come to pass and she was broken.

Kit

ianrobson36 14th December 2012 14:44

Anyone got a photo of the David Pollock which I served on in 1962, I am trying to collect photos of the vessels I have served on.

Gingerbeer

A.D.FROST 14th December 2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianrobson36 (Post 641041)
Anyone got a photo of the David Pollock which I served on in 1962, I am trying to collect photos of the vessels I have served on.

Gingerbeer

Try this(Thumb)
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...ollock-01.html

granty 14th December 2012 15:51

hi
i was born in the house across from the lighthoues at shoreham and took a picture of the walker coming into shoreham for the 1st time a copy of that picture is in ports and harbours section i grew up watching all those bigger colliers comming to shoreham after the new power station was built and the harbour made bigger my father was on the middle pier at the time of the modernisation of the port he had been master of the harbour tug before that.
later on i was a boatman from about 63 till 68 then i went to sea, i attended all those colliers in and out off shoreham i could name them all but this would take for ever as you may remember if you were ever in those ships comming into shoreham the boatman used to skull down to the ship to run the spring to the lock head we used to do the same up at the swinging basin and on sailing run the spring to the locks as well some off those colliers i my eyes were beautifull looking vessels very majestic
regards
granty

Hamish Mackintosh 14th December 2012 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by robandbarbara (Post 119870)
Polden. at Portsmouth., 07.1963. Eventually ended up as the 'Stinto' (Italy)

My last ship before coming to Canada,1957. Capt Eoll was master and he left her the same time as me to become a Seaham Harbour pilot

ninabaker 14th December 2012 22:42

I have fond memories of seeing these go by my bedroom window. I was brought up in a house that was just across the river from Battersea Power Station in central London from 1963-73. The colliers were of course up and down the river supplying Battersea and other power stations. Not the most romantic of ships but I was always mad about any kind of ship and watched them come and go daily.

Pat McCardle 15th December 2012 04:23

They were always smart well kept ships when I was with Stevies, 1980-1984. SIR JOHN SNELL - SIR WILLIAM WALKER - JAMES ROWAN - CLIFF QUAY. Pity I never took more pics especially of the engine rooms on these ship.
(Thumb)

A.D.FROST 15th December 2012 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat McCardle (Post 641168)
They were always smart well kept ships when I was with Stevies, 1980-1984. SIR JOHN SNELL - SIR WILLIAM WALKER - JAMES ROWAN - CLIFF QUAY. Pity I never took more pics especially of the engine rooms on these ship.
(Thumb)

Didn't one of them feature in the film 'Battle of Britian'

granty 15th December 2012 08:44

hi
it did and i think it was the Cliffe Quay or one of that class
regards
granty

trotterdotpom 15th December 2012 10:08

Stevie Clarke's "Steyning" played the part of "Bantu Wind" in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

John T

majoco 12th September 2018 04:05

granty said:
Quote:

i was a boatman from about 63 till 68 then i went to sea
in Shoreham.
You must have been there when I was the Sparks on "Sir William Walker" July to November '64 - I inherited the job from completing my 6 months as a trainee then the chief sparks went on extended leave and I stayed on. Had a good few sessions in the "Rising Sun" by the lock gates. A few years later - August 69 - I joined the RNR up the other end of the harbour and pleased to see that the colliers were still going to the power station.

granty 12th September 2018 06:50

Hi Martin
Yes I probably was I was in my teens then and had crew cut and very blond hair
Cheers
Granty

Devans47 3rd May 2019 19:13

Hi Martin,
I was a jnr/sparks on the Sir William Walker (GSMX) in November 1966 through February 1967. Cant remember the chiefs name but he was pretty old in those days. I remember calling Stevie Clarks office in Leith/Grangemouth to see what time she was sailing for Shoreham and was told 12 o'clock, thinking it was noon the next day I stayed overnight with some friends in Leith and turned up the next day and the 'Walker" was gone on her merry way without me. So went back to Leith and caught a bus that night from Edinburgh to London then another bus to Brighton and a local to Shoreham where I had beaten the 'Walker' to the power station. Her sister ship was in port so explained to them what had happened much to their enjoyment and promptly went ashore with some the guys to the local pub. Slept on the couch in the mess and rejoined the 'Walker' at about 3 am as she had come in while I was asleep. The ch/sparks tore me up one side and down the other but didn't report me but it took awhile for the jokes to subside. Had lots of great times at the Top Rank ballroom in Brighton as well. Happy happy days.

notnila 4th May 2019 00:05

That story reminded me of when I was A/Steward on the Gosport,the ship had docked in Middlesborough and the watch ashore,and me, spent the weekend on Tyneside.On returning the lot of us were on the same train,and the C/E and I were in the same compartment.As the train pulled out of Eaglesham we saw the rest of the crew standing on the platform staring at us,the 2/E pointing at us and yelling "Shorthand Money!"Nobody told us to change at Eaglesham!
We went back to N Shields for another night,the Chief to his wife and me to"The Jungle",travelling down to Shoreham the next day! If I had been on my own I'm pretty sure I'd have been sacked,or at least logged,but then the Old Man would have to Log the C/E as well.