Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Tugs (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=289)
-   -   Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=19959)

gde 15th July 2008 23:01

Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's

Way back in the early 70s I was the assistant manager of North Sea Marine Rig Services which was part of the BOC group at it's Peterhead base.
At this time the BP Fortie's field as well as the Frigg field was being built up.
During this time we supplied anything from a simple sewing needle to an anchor and chain,24 hour's a day,7 day's a week.I was also the base manager for Buchan and Johnston/MP Galloway of Leith (they were the main deck/engine/galley ship's stores merchant's for the Ben Line.)We were a very small staff who looked after the daily need's of Brown and Root,Saipem,ETPM,
as well as all the tug/supply boat companies such as Gulf tug's,Theriot,Jackson Marine Corp,as well as many other's.One company who stood out was Jackson Marine,with the Moon supply boats and the tugs such as the Godfather,Mr John H,Mr John H etc.Those ship's were booze free,no drink allowed and were in fact the best maintained fleet in the North sea.With some of the best British,German and American crew's I have ever worked with,they were magic.

Have any member any photo's of either a Moon boat or perhap's my favourite The Godfather (named after the famous film of that name) I would also like to push my luck and perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

The North Sea oil story started from the port of Peterhead and I still have good memories of the first pipe supply boat's to enter Peterhead harbour coming in stern first !!!! The Pecos and the Cimarron both from Texas USA.O' the happy memorie's.

Perhap's you may let me know.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD.

DCMARINE 16th July 2008 00:56

Have a look at:
www.images-of-ships.me.uk
Look under Tugs or Supply vessels.
Donald Campbell

gde 16th July 2008 18:06

re JMC tugs/supply

Donald,

Many thank's,magic.

My most humble apologies,I now remember,you purchased my old engineering magazines for a Calmac Captain friend of yours.
Hope you are keeping well,by the way I sold the tug-boat,it was too much work.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD

Thamesphil 17th July 2008 10:23

Gavin,

I have a couple of photos of the Jackson Marine tugs at www.shipspotting.com. I think one of them is the "Godfather".

Phil

gde 17th July 2008 19:05

JMC tug GODFATHER

Hello Thamesphil,
Thank you,I have at long last found some of the tug's which I was involved with during the early day's of The North Sea platform building.The Godfather which was named after the famous film was a very powerfull tug and came alongside in Peterhead on very rare ocassions.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD

Bob cheeseman 18th July 2008 07:34

Hi there Gavin,try and search the Maui Gas Rig fleet in New Zealand when it was installed,i was a crew member on the Mister Marshall D which was Jackson Marine,the last tug (as we were the smallest in the fleet) to hold the rig in place as thay sunk her .Mister Fred was the other tug.There were a couple of tenders (Moon boats). A lot of photos was taken of this event as it was a first for NZ .They stayed around to also work the Atlas pile barge and the Cocane Pioneer pipe laying barge .Bob c

gde 18th July 2008 20:04

Many thanks Bob I shall go and have a look now.

Gavn

port captain d murrell 6th April 2009 00:50

hi gavin,its dennis could you service the zodiac !!!!give me a ring for a chat,regards den (07740090836)

Capt Cliff Roberts 13th May 2009 12:39

Are you the Dennis Murrell friend of the late Brian Jordon who I knew at JMC

Quote:

Originally Posted by port captain d murrell (Post 308985)
hi gavin,its dennis could you service the zodiac !!!!give me a ring for a chat,regards den (07740090836)

Good morning Dennis,
I believe we know each other? from many years ago.
I worked on the Godfather for a long while in the NS working opposite to J.D. Nunnery.
Regards Cliff.

Nick Balls 13th May 2009 13:22

I Remember the Moon boats very well in Great Yarmouth .
somewhere at home we still have a set of "Jackson Marine" playing cards !!!
I worked for Star Offshore and some of our Portuguese crews started out in Jackson Marine having become unemployed when the Grand-banks cod fishing finished ( Dory boat fishemen) I know some of these guys would be very interested in this Thread. Many now retired and coming from the Vila Do Conde and Povora de Varsim.
I was working with these guys in 2005 out of Peterhead and always thought it strange that there was this massive connection of Seafaring, fishing and even some of the Gallic traditions between the two places.

Footitt's Folly 11th June 2009 06:41

Nick - I was the engineer on the tug Godfather. I remember on joining and putting to see in the face of a gale to stabalise a barge that was in danger of breaking free of its tow.

I also worked for Jackson Marine and a pipe vessel called the Hustler.

todd 20th June 2009 13:45

Jackson Marine

1 Attachment(s)
I have found this old photo I took in the early 1970s.

The "Midnight Moon" at a well-head. Arabian Gulf.
Jim

Donnie Gardin 23rd June 2009 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Cliff Roberts (Post 321331)
Good morning Dennis,
I believe we know each other? from many years ago.
I worked on the Godfather for a long while in the NS working opposite to J.D. Nunnery.
Regards Cliff.

Hello Captain Roberts. I remeber you as I also worked on the Godfather as an oiler. Before that I was a deckhand on the Victory Moon with Captain Leo and Mate Mickey. I hope to here from ya soon. Take care. Donnie Gardin

Footitt's Folly 4th July 2009 08:56

Nick - I have a super 8 movie of moving up the river due to bad weather christmas 1974 where the Hustler and Vagabond as well as the Artic Moon and others were moored due to bad weather in the North Sea. If I can work it out I will try and see if I can put this on the site.

Chiron 30th July 2009 14:28

Re: Vagabond.

Hi everyone, found reference to the supply ship "Vagabond" in this thread whilst doing a search.
I now live in the British Virgin Islands and there's a lot of these older oil rig supply/anchor handling boats running cargo between the islands. There is one that was running interisland cargo named "Vagabond" and it appeared to be the original name in the platework. Unfortunately she came a cropper on Fallen Jerusalem, the wrong side of the Round Rock Passage and now lies with her bow and bridge proudly atop the rocks, whilst the stern is in around 40ft of water.
I am pretty sure she worked the North Sea, as I have all the charts from her wheelhouse, which covers the UK coastline, Norway, Denmark etc and as far south as Gibraltar. There's actually a passage still marked on the northern North Sea chart from the Ecofisk field to Great Yarmouth, perhaps her last North Sea trip? Charts date from 1975.
I have photos if they will help, she is approximately 170ft long and built in the US style before they were properly adapted/designed for North Sea work.
Just would like to know if I'm right, a little bit of history, plus I'm Scottish and have sailed/raced the North Sea numerous times in the Banff/Stavanger Race, latterly the Haliburton North Sea Race. Also have a lot of friends on the rigs and in the Merchant Navy.
Thanks for any help.

steveknudtsen 1st September 2009 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob cheeseman (Post 232137)
Hi there Gavin,try and search the Maui Gas Rig fleet in New Zealand when it was installed,i was a crew member on the Mister Marshall D which was Jackson Marine,the last tug (as we were the smallest in the fleet) to hold the rig in place as thay sunk her .Mister Fred was the other tug.There were a couple of tenders (Moon boats). A lot of photos was taken of this event as it was a first for NZ .They stayed around to also work the Atlas pile barge and the Cocane Pioneer pipe laying barge .Bob c

Bob, This is Steve Knudtsen - I was the relief captain that worked on the Mister Fred and the M/V Betty - the two larger tugs assigned to the Kokan Pioneer in the Maui Gas Project days. Its fascinating to find people who remember back that far. Have a good day, Steve

steveknudtsen 1st September 2009 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd (Post 333277)
I have found this old photo I took in the early 1970s.

The "Midnight Moon" at a well-head. Arabian Gulf.
Jim

Jim, this is Steve Knudtsen I worked for Jackson Marine in the 70s. I was in the middle east working on tugs and supply boats. I also was on a job to New Zealand towards the the end of my time with them. What is your last name?

Steve

steveknudtsen 1st September 2009 08:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gde (Post 231394)
Way back in the early 70s I was the assistant manager of North Sea Marine Rig Services which was part of the BOC group at it's Peterhead base.
At this time the BP Fortie's field as well as the Frigg field was being built up.
During this time we supplied anything from a simple sewing needle to an anchor and chain,24 hour's a day,7 day's a week.I was also the base manager for Buchan and Johnston/MP Galloway of Leith (they were the main deck/engine/galley ship's stores merchant's for the Ben Line.)We were a very small staff who looked after the daily need's of Brown and Root,Saipem,ETPM,
as well as all the tug/supply boat companies such as Gulf tug's,Theriot,Jackson Marine Corp,as well as many other's.One company who stood out was Jackson Marine,with the Moon supply boats and the tugs such as the Godfather,Mr John H,Mr John H etc.Those ship's were booze free,no drink allowed and were in fact the best maintained fleet in the North sea.With some of the best British,German and American crew's I have ever worked with,they were magic.

Have any member any photo's of either a Moon boat or perhap's my favourite The Godfather (named after the famous film of that name) I would also like to push my luck and perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

The North Sea oil story started from the port of Peterhead and I still have good memories of the first pipe supply boat's to enter Peterhead harbour coming in stern first !!!! The Pecos and the Cimarron both from Texas USA.O' the happy memorie's.

Perhap's you may let me know.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD.

Gavin, I worked in the North Sea on the Eastern Moon and Arctic Moon in 1971 then later worked in the mid-east, far East and New Zealand for Jackson Marine. The attached picture is of the Mister Fred, Mister Marshall and Asian Moon all on the Maui Gas project in New Zealand. The construction barge in the picture is the Kokan Pioneer, a joint venture with Brown & Root and a Japanese firm. I was surprised to see that there were still folks around who remembered the JMC Tugs and Moon supply boats.

Capt. Steve Knudtsen

Ray Mac 1st September 2009 13:07

Just imagine them comming into Aberdeen today alongside some of the big Maersk boats(Thumb)

todd 1st September 2009 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveknudtsen (Post 355001)
Jim, this is Steve Knudtsen I worked for Jackson Marine in the 70s. I was in the middle east working on tugs and supply boats. I also was on a job to New Zealand towards the the end of my time with them. What is your last name?

Steve

Hi Steve, my surname is Todd, and I was working for Gray Macs at the time I took the photo working out of Abu Ali.

Jim

Ron Stringer 1st September 2009 22:08

Saipem Castoro Due

Quote:

Originally Posted by gde (Post 231394)
...perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

Gavin,

As you well know, there were/still are a number of Saipem Castoro laybarges and you don't say which one you are interested in. If you do a Google Images search on Saipem Castoro, it throws up a lot of photos of the different vessels.

I was on the Saipem Castoro Due sorting out their first ARQ radiotelex installation when she was anchored off Peterhead in the bay below the prison. There are a couple of photos of her at

http://www.saipem.it/flotta/images/castoroII.jpg

and

http://lacasadikikko.enricorotelli.i...castoro_II.jpg

Capt Cliff Roberts 3rd September 2009 10:47

Vagabond

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiron (Post 345209)
Hi everyone, found reference to the supply ship "Vagabond" in this thread whilst doing a search.
I now live in the British Virgin Islands and there's a lot of these older oil rig supply/anchor handling boats running cargo between the islands. There is one that was running interisland cargo named "Vagabond" and it appeared to be the original name in the platework. Unfortunately she came a cropper on Fallen Jerusalem, the wrong side of the Round Rock Passage and now lies with her bow and bridge proudly atop the rocks, whilst the stern is in around 40ft of water.
I am pretty sure she worked the North Sea, as I have all the charts from her wheelhouse, which covers the UK coastline, Norway, Denmark etc and as far south as Gibraltar. There's actually a passage still marked on the northern North Sea chart from the Ecofisk field to Great Yarmouth, perhaps her last North Sea trip? Charts date from 1975.
I have photos if they will help, she is approximately 170ft long and built in the US style before they were properly adapted/designed for North Sea work.
Just would like to know if I'm right, a little bit of history, plus I'm Scottish and have sailed/raced the North Sea numerous times in the Banff/Stavanger Race, latterly the Haliburton North Sea Race. Also have a lot of friends on the rigs and in the Merchant Navy.
Thanks for any help.

Hi I was Master of the "Vagabond" during the 70's hauling pipe from Immingham and Nigg Bay I have a folio of all J.M.C vessels vessels I served on during many years with Jackson's inc, Forties Moon,Mr Robert,Mr Richard, True Grit, Capt Jac,Ruby,Godfather,to name just a few I can't remember the dates but will have a look through old photo's books etc (my excuse is age) to see what I can come up with.
Regards Capt Cliff Roberts.

Capt Cliff Roberts 3rd September 2009 11:03

Godfather

Quote:

Originally Posted by gde (Post 231989)
Hello Thamesphil,
Thank you,I have at long last found some of the tug's which I was involved with during the early day's of The North Sea platform building.The Godfather which was named after the famous film was a very powerfull tug and came alongside in Peterhead on very rare ocassions.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD

Hi Gavin,
I worked on the Godfather for a long while working opposite J.D.Nunnery and Ray Griffen I will see what I can dig up in the way of photo's etc Steve Knudtsen might also be able to help as he has told me he is still in touch with Miles Rice one of our Port Captain's.She was a wonderful anchor handling Tug and one of the best handling tugs I've ever had the pleasure of running and a very good sea ship,I could tell you of some very hairy moments with her in the North Sea but she allways came out on top.
Capt Cliff Roberts.

Carl ASHPOLE 31st January 2010 18:44

Hi Folks, my father worked with JMC on suffolk road in the 70's as purchasing manager. I recognise a few of your names and have been on all the JMC boats that came into Yarmouth. If you know of me, feel free to respond. My partner is Jayne Gray who also use to work for JMC at Yarmouth, her name may also ring a bell. Take care and hope to hear from some one from the past soon.

agallaher 7th June 2010 17:15

Captain Cliff from the Godfather and Donnie Gardin from Mister Pete. Well I will be blown over by a feather. Never thought I would track you two down in a Million years. I too worked with you also on these tugs. Regards, Bert Gallaher