Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   News and Views from the Shipping World (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Naming ceremony Sir David Attenborough (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=294931)

stevekelly10 26th September 2019 14:30

Naming ceremony Sir David Attenborough

2 Attachment(s)
Today ! No I was not there :( My Daughter was :) https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/shi...oyal-ceremony/

AlbieR 26th September 2019 15:32

Hopefully Pat Kennedy was on his crane with his box brownie camera, just like the old days.

stevekelly10 26th September 2019 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbieR (Post 3006247)
Hopefully Pat Kennedy was on his crane with his box brownie camera, just like the old days.

Sadly his cranes no longer exist :( Have asked my Daughter for anymore pics, she has of today ! Knowing her she probably took a load ! :)

Pat Kennedy 26th September 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbieR (Post 3006247)

No cranes left in the yard any more sadly.
The closest I could get was across the road outside a McDonalds.

No one was showing the slightest interest, just stuffing garbage into their faces.
Still, the ship looked magnificent, what I could see of it.(Thumb)

stevekelly10 26th September 2019 20:19

5 Attachment(s)
More pics :)

AlbieR 26th September 2019 22:59

My post was tongue in cheek Pat but I knew you would be around somewhere

Pat Kennedy 26th September 2019 23:46

Albie
Apparently there were tickets available for the public to access the ceremony but I never heard about it until it was too late.
I really hope that the yard can build on this achievement and go on to get more big orders.
They have done us proud here on Wirral, even with no "proper" cranes(Thumb)

Robert Hilton 27th September 2019 03:51

By a lucky sequence of history nobody is likely to have to transmit the vessel's name by aldis lamp.

Barrie Youde 27th September 2019 09:04

Ho, ho!

I agree with Pat that here is a most welcome boost for the local economy. Long may it continue!

ps. In the early 1930s my Dad was Fourth Mate in Philoctetes. I remember him telling me that few people could read that name by morse, firtst time!

Engine Serang 27th September 2019 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevekelly10 (Post 3006237)
Today ! No I was not there :( My Daughter was :) https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/shi...oyal-ceremony/

Is that your daughter in the blue coat?

pitcrew 27th September 2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Hilton (Post 3006325)
By a lucky sequence of history nobody is likely to have to transmit the vessel's name by aldis lamp.

It could have been worse. Letting the proletariat have a say in things is a dicey business. We had a narrow squeak with the name there, but it might have been better to have a near thing with the European referendum, but stayed in, and called the ship Boaty Macboatface. Either way we would have made ourselves a laughing stock.

stevekelly10 27th September 2019 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 3006345)
Is that your daughter in the blue coat?

No she is not in any of the pictures :)

stevekelly10 27th September 2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy (Post 3006299)
Albie
Apparently there were tickets available for the public to access the ceremony but I never heard about it until it was too late.
I really hope that the yard can build on this achievement and go on to get more big orders.
They have done us proud here on Wirral, even with no "proper" cranes(Thumb)

Hi Pat If you click on the link for the survey website in my original post it says there are some tickets available for Saturday and it tells you how to apply.

Regards

Steve

David Wilcockson 27th September 2019 13:35

Bit late now!

Dickyboy 27th September 2019 16:11

Camel Lairds will have to get out of the habit of only building red & white ships. Their previous one (Red Kestrel) had the same colour scheme. :) :)

stevekelly10 27th September 2019 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickyboy (Post 3006431)
Camel Lairds will have to get out of the habit of only building red & white ships. Their previous one (Red Kestrel) had the same colour scheme. :) :)

They must have bought a job lot (Jester)

Stephen J. Card 27th September 2019 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Hilton (Post 3006325)

Forget names. Send the IMO Number. Easy morse!!!! (Applause)

Engine Serang 27th September 2019 18:53

Was it built on time and to budget?
Have CL much more work in the pipeline?
Could they be considered for the fabrication of modules for future RN ships? I remember an engineer telling me he served his time in CL working on nuclear submarines.

Pat Kennedy 27th September 2019 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 3006467)
Was it built on time and to budget?
Have CL much more work in the pipeline?
Could they be considered for the fabrication of modules for future RN ships? I remember an engineer telling me he served his time in CL working on nuclear submarines.

They did all the flight deck modules for the two new carriers, and some of the lower blocks as well.
This is in the planning stage but could be a future project;

https://www.clbh.co.uk/new-contracts...er-relief-ship

I worked on the Polaris submarines when they were built in Lairds.
I particularly remember the blue steel for the pressure hulls, which was brought in from the USA as it was a specialty that British steel makers were unable to produce.
They had to introduce new welding techniques for this steel as well as it could not be welded by ordinary electric arc welding.

Pat Kennedy 27th September 2019 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevekelly10 (Post 3006377)
Hi Pat If you click on the link for the survey website in my original post it says there are some tickets available for Saturday and it tells you how to apply.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for that Steve, got tickets for me and Mrs K for Sat 12.00 (Thumb)

vickentallen 27th September 2019 21:41

Is she crewed by RN ? or who ?

G0SLP 27th September 2019 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickentallen (Post 3006501)
Is she crewed by RN ? or who ?

British Antarctic Survey staff.

(BAS are part of NERC, who operate RRS "Discovery" and RRS "James Cook").

AlbieR 27th September 2019 22:18

Re post 20 Glad you got tickets Pat if ever anybody deserves to be there it is you. Enjoy Albie

Pat Kennedy 27th September 2019 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbieR (Post 3006513)
Re post 20 Glad you got tickets Pat if ever anybody deserves to be there it is you. Enjoy Albie

Thanks Albie, very kind of you to say so.(Thumb)

Dickyboy 28th September 2019 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevekelly10 (Post 3006435)
They must have bought a job lot (Jester)

They must have overestimated what would be needed for Red Kestrel(Jester)