Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   The Engine Room (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=367)
-   -   Doxford Engines 3-legged (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=14518)

hamishb 25th October 2013 13:01

Baby Doxfords
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have posted a list in the gallery,of Doxford engines built by licencees
Ailsa Shipbuilding Co.Ltd. and John Lewis & Co.Ltd. between 1952 & 1958.
Ailsa 6 engs
Lewis 5 engs

Bill Morrison 25th October 2013 20:05

J Lewis Doxfords
 
Hi A.D.
John Lewis also built a 4 cylinder Doxford. It was a 48. S.B.4 producing 1500 H.P. @ 135 R.P.M. It was fitted to the FAIRTRY one of the first freezer trawler's in 1954. I have search for information of this engine without success.
Regards.
Bill Morrison

hamishb 26th October 2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Morrison (Post 711468)
Hi A.D.
John Lewis also built a 4 cylinder Doxford. It was a 48. S.B.4 producing 1500 H.P. @ 135 R.P.M. It was fitted to the FAIRTRY one of the first freezer trawler's in 1954. I have search for information of this engine without success.
Regards.
Bill Morrison

Hi Bill I have been informed by A.D. that the ship name on the engine list was originally FAIRTRY and is shown on the list as JOY 18 Eng no 307 if that helps you atall
Regards
Hamish

Tim Gibbs 19th June 2019 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKB (Post 709460)
Alfons asked:
Who can tell more about his experience with the starting assister?

I was on the builder's sea trials of the "City Of Plymouth" out of Appledore Shipbuilders and I believe the problem with the over-enthusiastic dead-band assister occurred during that trial. I can't supply much detail as I kept out of the way, it seemed to me that the Doxford men had enough on their plates without me poking my nose in as well.

I thought it best to concentrate on the Blackstone generators that I was there to look after, but I seem to remember they had quite a bit of bother with flexible pipes failing and covering the job in oil prior to the big bang. The engine was a 58JS2, I believe.

I was Ellerman's Project Engineer for that class of ship built at Appledore. Great ships - shame about the 58JS3s! I had wanted the engine to drive a CP propeller at constant speed but the boss wouldn't have it. I think it was killed by the yard wanting a 45k extra which is a shame as it would have transformed the engine by doing away with the starting assister and probably considerably reduced the piston ring and liner wear problems encountered in service. Interestingly we found that the dead band was not as big as the theory suggested and it was further improved on the second shop when we changed the phasing of the propeller with the crankshaft .
At the beginning of the contract we were badly deceived by British Shipbuilders and Doxfords who told us the 58JS3 was a slower speed(220 rpm) version of the "fully developed"Seahorse. Unfortunately that was totally untrue but it was too late before we found out the full truth. The first engine was over 6 months late and development had to continue with the ships in service .
Perhaps a TM410 or K Major wouldn't have been so bad after all !!

sternchallis 19th June 2019 22:36

You might want see if there are any old copies of Southerns Marine Diesel Oil Engines about prior to revision 8, mines rev 10 and it only has the LB, P & J types that were around in the 1970's.


It may be worth writing to the Institute of Marine Engineers if they are still around
( when I left they seemed to be pricing themselves out of the market).

Though whether anybody you speak to even knows what a Doxford is. They seemed far removed from when they were first set up or even when I joined in the 1970's, it was becoming very academic with pages of formula in their transactions. There was only John Gray who had a column that seemed in touch with real world. But worth a try, but they would want you to cross their palm with silver.
Back copies of the Motorship, Shipbuilder and Marine Engineer.

Somebody who would have had lots of info was Tony Frost, but he sadly passed over the bar.

Good luck in your endeavours, I sailed with 2 twin 6's an LB and a P type, with BSL, they were an experience that all Marine Engineers should have had.

JKB 21st June 2019 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Gibbs (Post 2988025)
I was Ellerman's Project Engineer for that class of ship built at Appledore. Great ships - shame about the 58JS3s! I had wanted the engine to drive a CP propeller at constant speed but the boss wouldn't have it. I think it was killed by the yard wanting a 45k extra which is a shame as it would have transformed the engine by doing away with the starting assister and probably considerably reduced the piston ring and liner wear problems encountered in service. Interestingly we found that the dead band was not as big as the theory suggested and it was further improved on the second shop when we changed the phasing of the propeller with the crankshaft .
At the beginning of the contract we were badly deceived by British Shipbuilders and Doxfords who told us the 58JS3 was a slower speed(220 rpm) version of the "fully developed"Seahorse. Unfortunately that was totally untrue but it was too late before we found out the full truth. The first engine was over 6 months late and development had to continue with the ships in service .
Perhaps a TM410 or K Major wouldn't have been so bad after all !!

Hello Tim, long time no see. I didn't know you were involved with the Ellerman's vessels but I only made a flying visit for the sea trials on the "Plymouth". I remember you from the early days of the Appledore-built UMD dredgers "City Of London" and "City Of Westminster" and their 6MB275 main engines, although my Mirrlees colleague Paul Beetham was more deeply involved than I was.
Developing engines at sea seems to be a constant theme, I spent a lot of time on Appledore's Rowbotham vessels "Echoman" and "Tankerman" trying to get them to run reliably on heavy fuel, I suspect Rockies were told they were "fully developed" as well.

dannic 25th June 2019 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by sternchallis (Post 2988079)
You might want see if there are any old copies of Southerns Marine Diesel Oil Engines about prior to revision 8, mines rev 10 and it only has the LB, P & J types that were around in the 1970's.


It may be worth writing to the Institute of Marine Engineers if they are still around
( when I left they seemed to be pricing themselves out of the market).

Though whether anybody you speak to even knows what a Doxford is. They seemed far removed from when they were first set up or even when I joined in the 1970's, it was becoming very academic with pages of formula in their transactions. There was only John Gray who had a column that seemed in touch with real world. But worth a try, but they would want you to cross their palm with silver.
Back copies of the Motorship, Shipbuilder and Marine Engineer.

Somebody who would have had lots of info was Tony Frost, but he sadly passed over the bar.

Good luck in your endeavours, I sailed with 2 twin 6's an LB and a P type, with BSL, they were an experience that all Marine Engineers should have had.

Have Sotherns edition 8, with 3 cylinder doxfords in it, but no model type etc. mentioned.
Had forgotten how complicated the were!! Only sailed with 6 cylinder but worked on SSMTC single cylinder at college.
Dannic.

Bill Morrison 26th June 2019 21:39

Posts #79 , 80, 81& 82.
I never had the good fortune or misfortune of sailing with Doxford Engines but heard many horror stories.
The records of the Doxford Company are now kept by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums. I don't think you can get them on line which means you would have to attend in person. You can get the Ref No for articles you would wish to view on line. I found this one for 58JS3(for small ships)
Ref No DS.DOX/6/4/179
Feb. 1979
Supplement to "The Motor Ship" includes detailed plans. Hope this helps.
Bill


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.