Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Cunard (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Cunard Princess 1980 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=3302)

Cunarder 27th October 2005 16:06

Cunard Princess 1980

1 Attachment(s)
Some smiling faces from a quarter of a century ago. I'll leave you to ponder the names but I'll put you out of your misery shortly.

Cheers - Alan

Bill Lambert 28th January 2006 08:36

Princess

Hello Alan,
As nobody seems to have replied, thought I'd better give it a go.
Back Row, left to right.
Dixie Dean, R/O, Alan Lynch, R/O, Angie Eddleston, Lt.Cmdr. David Mansel Pope, RD, RNR, Harry Jefferson, Malcomb ?.
Front Row, left to right.
Ronnie Bolton, Dick Sturge, Larry Portet, Dr.Alan Kirwin, Alan Marsden.
I was wandering where all the engineers where. Then I realized that as usual, they where probably all working.
Cheers. Bill. (*)

Cunarder 31st January 2006 07:26

Hi there Bill - great to hear from you - at least there are two of us left...!

Next to Angie is Arthur Myers - medical orderly - and at the end of the back row is Malcolm Scanlon. Second from left on the back - I can't remember either - I'll refer to the archives and get back to you. Hope you are well?

Cheers - Alan

jim barnes 31st January 2006 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lambert
Hello Alan,
As nobody seems to have replied, thought I'd better give it a go.
Back Row, left to right.
Dixie Dean, R/O, Alan Lynch, R/O, Angie Eddleston, Lt.Cmdr. David Mansel Pope, RD, RNR, Harry Jefferson, Malcomb ?.
Front Row, left to right.
Ronnie Bolton, Dick Sturge, Larry Portet, Dr.Alan Kirwin, Alan Marsden.
I was wandering where all the engineers where. Then I realized that as usual, they where probably all working.
Cheers. Bill. (*)

No probably in the bar, Hic (Applause)

Jeff Taylor 19th January 2007 16:24

I met Larry Portet in 1968 when he was relief Staff Captain on QE. He seemed a quiet, dry sort of fellow.

cruisemuscle 3rd March 2007 03:19

Hello all, I used to work on the cunard princess back in 1981, Iam wondering if anyone is around that would have been there at the same time?

cruisemuscle 3rd March 2007 03:20

also wondering if anyone has heard of ron bolton

Cunarder 4th March 2007 21:26

Cruisemuscle - I was on Cunard Princess from the beginning until '81 as relieving Chief R/O. Haven't heard of Ronnie Bolton for a while. Last I heard was that he was Master somewhere (he was still 1st Off, maybe Chief Off) at the time that I left. Let me know if you track him down....

Cheers
Alan Marsden

Bill Lambert 9th March 2007 04:23

Alan,
I think he's retired...

Cunarder 10th March 2007 07:04

OK, thanks for that, Bill.....

Al

bees247 14th January 2008 13:38

Old Memories

HI Allen

I have just joined.

I was on the Princess in the 80ís as 4th Engineer. A fellow engineer was Pete Hacking.

Regards

Ian Wilson

J Scott 14th January 2008 14:49

Hi Alan,

I think I was the person third from the left in the back row. I was temporary replacement 2/O from the cargo division.

I was then transferred to the QE2 for a good few years.

I am now Master with Holland America Line on the Noordam.

The days of lunchtime discussions / sessions in the cabins aft of the Bridge are long gone!

Regards,
John Scott.

sparkie2182 14th January 2008 19:35

when i last heard of ron bolton, he was master of the caronia.
i recently heard a suggestion that harry "tabnabs" jefferson is now living in spain.
any further details would be appreciated on this.

Malcolm S 20th August 2008 19:04

Cunard Princess

The other 2nd Officer with David Pope was me, Malcolm Scanlan.

Malcolm S 21st August 2008 21:27

If anybody is still interested, in the picture - top row left to right=
Dixie Dean - carpenter
?? - Security P/O
Alan Lynch - boson
?? - medical P/O
Angie Eddleston - Nurse (believe she married Paul Jowett - 2nd Off)
David Pope - 1st Officer (believe he divorced and moved to Spain)
Harry Jefferson - radio officer
Malcolm Scanlan - 1st Officer (moved to Canada)
seated =
Ron Bolton - Chief Officer (retired)
Dick Sturge - Staff Captain (retired)
Laurence Portet - Captain (retired and sadly going blind and I hear not very well)
Alan Kirwin - Doctor
Alan Marsden - radio officer (married nurse Pam and lives in Aussie land)

Picture was taken on the bridge and represents the deck department only, all the engineers were in the 'wardy' drinking coffee (Nah!)

sparkie2182 21st August 2008 22:13

sorry to hear of Captain Laurie Portet.............:(

best wishes go to him

Derek Roger 22nd August 2008 15:36

Only one i recognize is Harry Jefferson . Anyone have any news of Harry ?? Derek

McCloggie 22nd August 2008 16:49

J Scott;

I have to say that you have improved with age over the last 25 odd years!

If you see this you know !

McC

gwzm 22nd August 2008 22:44

Derek,

Last I heard of Harry Jefferson was 20 years ago and he was reported to be living in Spain but I can't confirm.

Salaams,

gwzm/John

Steve Ingamells 23rd August 2008 19:48

Hi all,

I never knew so many had survived :-)

Yes, it's quite clear where the engineering department were at the time of the picture...

Happy days indeed, from what I can recall through the beer goggles.

Quick memory of Captain Portet:

I was briefly on the bridge of the Princess as he was lining up to enter San Juan dry-dock. He looked slightly concerned, and turned to one of the deck officers: "How wide did they say it was?"

I made my excuses and left...

All the best,
Steve
'lecky and rum tester, 1978 - 1981

Derek Roger 23rd August 2008 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwzm (Post 241151)
Derek,

Last I heard of Harry Jefferson was 20 years ago and he was reported to be living in Spain but I can't confirm.

Salaams,

gwzm/John

Thanks Derek

paul williams 14th August 2013 17:27

Is any one still out there? I sailed on the princess from 1980 onward, I remember Bill , Steve and most of the chaps in the picture. I would like to find out the name of a 3rd engineer that sailed with me on my first watch in feb 1980,together with Eric the fish{mech} and Liquid Len{leckie mech}. he mainly did hotel service work, married a girl from the pursers office and they settled in a Tortola for a few years . Ring a bell with anyone?

Malcolm S 20th August 2013 15:41

Paul,
Sadly Ron Bolton and David Pope have passed on, not sure about Capt Portet.
Dick Sturge still married to Sandy - living in Atlanta, Alan can vouch for himself but living in Sydney, Dixie Dean is still around, and last time I checked I am still alive (not kicking) south of Vancouver.
Must admit of the Cunard ships I was on the CP was the best.

Malcolm

paul williams 29th August 2013 09:28

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Malcolm, Nice to see your ok, I have only recently discoverd this site and Alan's thread. Sorry to hear about David and Ron, I sailed with both of them, I first met David at a dance on Union Castle's, "Edinburgh Castle" back in 1975 . Ron was a chap that always seemed to be full of humor, had a lot of laughs with him. I have found a picture of the chap I am trying to identify. he is second from the right, can you put a name to him? Paul

Malcolm S 1st September 2013 17:25

Greetings Paul,
Very familiar as is the other one on the right, not sure about the two on the left.
Names sadly elude me, sorry - I have reached the "I cant remember the last time I forgot anything" stage in my life.
Dave or Bill comes to mind but not much else.
Question to you though - are you the Paul also known as "The Bear"?
Best Rgds
M