Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   The Galley (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=368)
-   -   Pub Lunch. (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=260410)

Engine Serang 1st April 2018 10:08

Pub Lunch.

I am having a Pub Lunch at my house for a few retired MN friends in Mid April.
I have many happy memories of Pub Lunches, mostly at anchor in the Gulf but due to overindulgence I cannot remember the menus.
Can any of my Catering Colleagues give me a sample menu that is within my and the Memsabih's ability to cook and is typical of mid 1970's fare.

Cheers,

ES.

OilJiver 1st April 2018 12:12

Smallie eats: crisps, cheese straws, (if going posh; cocktail sausages with cheese, pineapple and cheese etc).

Main: Chile Con-Carne/Chicken curry/Scampi & Chips.

Allow for 1 case of Tennent’s/Tiger per head (they’re retired now) and 1 case of Double Diamond for any who may be predisposed to constipation.

Have a great day ES.

tsell 1st April 2018 13:25

... 'course, ES, ya cud alwise go the 'Strine rubbity way:

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/galler...ore-you-die/14

... then there's these from my mate Donny who lives in a big white house at 1600 Penn Ave:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/s...s-finger-foods

He's offered to help with the recipes if you'd like to give him a buzz:

You can speak to Donny at The Big White House Phone Numbers: Comments: 202-456-1111; Visitors Office: 202-456-2121, or email him: The Big White House Email Address - Dear Donny: [email protected]

... be sure to tell him, Taff sent you!!

Taff

woodend 1st April 2018 15:06

Come on don't overdo it, good old pie and chips and good thick gravey.(Pint) Washed down with copious amounts.

Dickyboy 1st April 2018 20:39

Scotch Eggs quartered, Egg Mayonnaise, Salad in Season. Celery Sticks ETC, Tomatoes Quartered, and or stuffed. Tinned veg & potato salad. There always seemed to be a bowl of that. :)

Engine Serang 1st April 2018 20:49

Always a wee bowl of boke.

cacique 1st April 2018 23:11

Since when were solids a factor for consideration in pub lunches? It must have differed from when men were men and the advent of what I have heard as being PC took control and the reigns.

Enjoy your well deserved hangover, even if you are hungry !

Keep Well,

Cacique.

spongebob 2nd April 2018 00:11

Nothing to do with pub lunches but I remember the pig farmer that lived near me who collected all the unsold ,stale Vogels mixed grain wholemeal bread from the bakery every week for his pigs .
The problem was that the bigger greedier pigs used to hog the feeding trough preventing the small and timid getting their fair share..
He solved the problem by heavily coating the first load with flour so the pushy ones quickly developed a very dry mouth and had stop gorging to go for a drink from a water trough several yards away.
This allowed him to replenish the trough with un floured loaves for the meek and the mild.
I imagine this strategy could work for many a pub lunch.

Bob

Engine Serang 2nd April 2018 07:30

That farmer was a christian and knew his KJV, Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Happy Easter Bob.

kauvaka 2nd April 2018 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by spongebob (Post 2848810)
Nothing to do with pub lunches but I remember the pig farmer that lived near me who collected all the unsold ,stale Vogels mixed grain wholemeal bread from the bakery every week for his pigs .
The problem was that the bigger greedier pigs used to hog the feeding trough preventing the small and timid getting their fair share..
He solved the problem by heavily coating the first load with flour so the pushy ones quickly developed a very dry mouth and had stop gorging to go for a drink from a water trough several yards away.
This allowed him to replenish the trough with un floured loaves for the meek and the mild.
I imagine this strategy could work for many a pu
Bob

A good sprinkling of salt over the edibles should do the trick.

BobClay 2nd April 2018 08:50

A pub lunch ? ….. wot's all this food stuff ? …… beer, then more beer, then a top off with beer.

OK OK, I'll give you one concession … a nice bowl of boiled tripe in the centre of the table, maybe a spoon or two for the posh types.

[=P]

Engine Serang 2nd April 2018 09:02

Bob, have you stole this menu from Bank Line?

It lacks balance, a squeeze of lemon juice would invigorate the tripe.

BobClay 2nd April 2018 09:04

You're right. A nice bit of squeeze is very invigorating.(*))

Engine Serang 2nd April 2018 09:15

The Bhandari used to make me Bubble and Squeeze, believed it was the national dish.

trotterdotpom 3rd April 2018 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 2849074)
The Bhandari used to make me Bubble and Squeeze, believed it was the national dish.

Nothing like a dollop of mashed potato, boiled cabbage and onions all squeezed together in the bhandary's armpit. Yum.

John T

Engine Serang 3rd April 2018 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by trotterdotpom (Post 2849689)
Nothing like a dollop of mashed potato, boiled cabbage and onions all squeezed together in the bhandary's armpit. Yum.

John T

Anything squeezed in the Bhandari's armpit is a Kofta. Make your armpits your charmpits.

septiclecky 4th April 2018 10:30

Remember we used to get Chicken curry for pub lunch every Sunday, then when we where in Liverpool he gave us Egg curry instead.

The purser was not amused when we draw a coffin on the dartboard scoreboard with RIP Chicken Curry underneath

Winmar 4th April 2018 11:47

Prawn Cocktail, Steak and Chips, Arctic Roll and as much Tennants Thistle Can juice as you can get down your Gregory as possible!

In the words of Barbara Streisand.............Memories!(Pint)(Pint)(Pint)( Pint)

alan ward 4th April 2018 12:02

Steak and Ale Pie with chips,job done.

endure 6th April 2018 00:20

Cheese beanos of course :-)

Dion de la Croix 6th April 2018 03:11

In New Zealand we would have a 6 pack of Big Ben pies washed down with a gallon of Red Bull.

spongebob 6th April 2018 06:14

Bob mentions Tripe , reputedly the most loved or loathed food on the planet.
No in betweens , so much so that an Auckland Pub in Hobson street called the Shakespeare Tavern invited Tripe lovers to form a club where members could enjoy a Tripe and beer evening on a monthly basis.
It got a good response, husbands joined , wives joined , even a few couples joined and it gained in popularity . I can well imagine that romançe might have well blossomed as what could be a better catalyst than a Tripe loving partner .
I don't know if the club survives

Bob .

Donald McGhee 6th April 2018 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by spongebob (Post 2853066)
Bob mentions Tripe , reputedly the most loved or loathed food on the planet.
No in betweens , so much so that an Auckland Pub in Hobson street called the Shakespeare Tavern invited Tripe lovers to form a club where members could enjoy a Tripe and beer evening on a monthly basis.
It got a good response, husbands joined , wives joined , even a few couples joined and it gained in popularity . I can well imagine that romançe might have well blossomed as what could be a better catalyst than a Tripe loving partner .
I don't know if the club survives

Bob .

Sounds like a lot of tripe to me Bob!!

Donald McGhee 6th April 2018 06:25

Tripe was never a favourite of mine, but devilled kidneys, or liver, bacon and onions followed by copious amounts of Guinness! There’s a menu for a pub lunch!

Ian Coupe 6th April 2018 10:32

Pub lunch

Don,t insult the Bank Line, Sunday lunch, Chicken Curry, paratas and beer.
The only tripe I came across was on the Weirbank where the Chief steward was using a large frozen block of it to stand on to reach the upper shelves in The deep freeze.
The best place for Sunday lunch was Raffles, Singapore, curry buffet and draught Tiger.
Have fun.