Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Histories (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393)
-   -   Lend-lease [what You Never Knew] (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=52273)

cshortridge73 24th June 2013 15:14

Lend-lease [what You Never Knew]

1 Attachment(s)
I wish to state early on that this article is probably not going to be interesting to all concerned. What it does dive into is the amounts of money spent, and some percentages of who gave what to whom.
Now does it provide data and info that the average person was not aware that took place...."Yes, it does....big time!!!!"
I was taken back by the "numbers of planes, ships, trucks, locomotives, and rail cars that was shipped.....almost unbelievable.
My hat is off the President Roosevelt that was at the head of making this happen.

click: LEND-LEASE PROGRAM [WHAT YOU NEVER KNEW]

kypros 24th June 2013 18:35

BUD so desprately needed at that time,President Roosevelt a political magician to get this bill through in face of strong opposition on his home front,I recall the final payment just six years ago well reported on our local news.KYPROS

E.Martin 25th June 2013 18:42

Lend Lease

With out Lend Lease and the USA coming into WW2 we would never have survived, when the war finished we were on the bones of our ****
Lend Lease finished and the Yanks wanted paying,they then came up with the Marshal Plan which involved lots and lots of money interest rate 2% which took from 1945 untill 2006 to pay off.
Not a bad business deal for Uncle Sam.

Aberdonian 25th June 2013 22:32

Soviet Repayment

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.Martin (Post 685718)
Lend Lease finished and the Yanks wanted paying,they then came up with the Marshal Plan which involved lots and lots of money interest rate 2% which took from 1945 untill 2006 to pay off.
Not a bad business deal for Uncle Sam.

What was the Russian stance on the issue of repayment?

Aberdonian

ben27 26th June 2013 00:04

good morning cshortridge73.yesterday.00:14.re:lend-lease(what you never knew).a very informative link on the above subject.i must confess I did not know all of it.but during the war we were bombarded with the generosity of the americans.i was in the navy.the 50 destroyers given to the R.N.were a great saver at the time.without lease lend the outcome of the war may have been reversed.i for one think the americans did a great act of generosity.thank you for posting.regards.ben27

Samsette 26th June 2013 02:47

Lend-Lease Repayment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aberdonian (Post 685766)
What was the Russian stance on the issue of repayment?

Aberdonian

Toughski-Shitski???????

Generous indeed. Churchill said something about it being a most unselfish act. And it was, regardless of all the benefits acrueing to the US economy.

stores 26th June 2013 05:27

hi BUD, great posts, have read every one, some great stories of Liberty Ships, and others, this post was really interesting, thanks again, STORES.

jg grant 26th June 2013 11:39

what uncle sam did was give us the boxing gloves and say, get in the ring and sort that bugger out', when you've done give us the gloves back or pay usfor use thereof. INMHO.

sparkie2182 26th June 2013 13:06

All the above is in reference to fiscal terms.

Let's not lose sight of the American lives lost...............Most of America's youth were right there, in the ring, alongside us.

E.Martin 26th June 2013 13:16

Ww2

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkie2182 (Post 685903)
All the above is in reference to fiscal terms.

Let's not lose sight of the American lives lost...............Most of America's youth were right there, in the ring, alongside us.

Only after Germany declared war on the USA.

sparkie2182 26th June 2013 13:27

I still like to thing they are remembered, irrespective of how their politicians decided policy.

jmbrent 26th June 2013 18:11

Should all of the war debt incurred fighting Nazi Germany not been transferred to Germany who after all lost the war? Then maybe Britain would be in a much better financial position than it is in today!! Or is that an ungentlemanly way of looking at it?

Duncan112 26th June 2013 18:20

43 Attachment(s)
Not ungentlemanly, a natural reaction, but it was the crippling reparations inflicted on Germany after the First World War, and consequent inflation, which gave Hitler one of his axes to grind that helped him rise to power.

Hugh Ferguson 26th June 2013 19:34

Knowing that the U.S. Coastguard photographed many ships passing through New York awaiting convoy I had great hopes of getting hold of a photo of a ship I was in which had a huge deck cargo.

We had loaded in St. John N.B. and coasted down to New York awaiting convoy to form which would sail from Hampton Roads to Italy. The deck cargo was literally half way up the masts and consisted of light weight cased vehicles.

Had I succeeded in acquiring said photo I would love to have posted it here as an example of a typical Lend Lease cargo.

Samsette 27th June 2013 04:00

Ingratitude

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.Martin (Post 685908)
Only after Germany declared war on the USA.

Some folks are never satisfied.(Cloud)

Samsette 27th June 2013 04:04

Cloud 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmbrent (Post 685985)
Should all of the war debt incurred fighting Nazi Germany not been transferred to Germany who after all lost the war? Then maybe Britain would be in a much better financial position than it is in today!! Or is that an ungentlemanly way of looking at it?

Why? Germany did not declare war on Great Britain. Check it out.

spongebob 27th June 2013 04:17

You are right Samsette, Neville Chamberlain Declared that Great Britain was at war with Germany and NZ, Australia, and Canada did likewise within hours.
The Germans accepted the situation.
Franklin D Roosevelt effectively brought the USA into the conflict on the Allies side well before Pearl Harbour forced him to openly declare and he did this by changing a law that enabled the USA to manufacture all forms of armaments for supply to Allied countries.

Bob

Samsette 27th June 2013 18:15

A Friend

A better friend would be hard to find, Bob.(Thumb)

Actually, Canada took a few days to make up its mind.

chadburn 27th June 2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsette (Post 686180)
A better friend would be hard to find, Bob.(Thumb)

Actually, Canada took a few days to make up its mind.

Although I understand Lockheed Hudson,s for the RAF were being towed across the Border from the US and flown out from Canada.

E.Martin 27th June 2013 19:35

Ultimation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsette (Post 686068)

Britain never actually declared war on Germany we gave them a ultimatum about getting their troops out of Poland which they refused
so consequently we went to war

Binnacle 27th June 2013 20:49

Chamberlain's declaration of war 3/9/39

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/ww2outbreak/7917.shtml

Rodney 27th June 2013 21:15

cshortridge73,

Many thanks for your link to "Lend-Lease". And a thank you to all for the kind posts re: The U.S.A. and President Roosevelt, it makes a wonderful change from the "yank bashing" that is a constant on an other M.N. site.

Regards, Rodney

Hugh Ferguson 28th June 2013 08:44

See HERE
And HERE

chadburn 28th June 2013 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 686218)
cshortridge73,

Many thanks for your link to "Lend-Lease". And a thank you to all for the kind posts re: The U.S.A. and President Roosevelt, it makes a wonderful change from the "yank bashing" that is a constant on an other M.N. site.

Regards, Rodney

The situation would be no different if we started off with a non Nuclear WW3 and the "Orange Forces" decided to move West across Europe, we would still have to rely on the powerhouse and the good offices of America to provide the supplies required and the ships (from those held in their Reserve Fleets) to form a new Atlantic Bridge. Barring for their interference in the Suez debacle we have a lot to thank the Americans for in my view.

stein 28th June 2013 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadburn (Post 686300)
Barring for their interference in the Suez debacle we have a lot to thank the Americans for in my view.

The interference consisted in the US not giving their support, something which Eden and MacMillan (stupidly some say) just assumed they would get from Eisenhower once the operation had started. On their own (with France and Israel) Britain had not the financial clout for such an adventure.

Even before the Suez incursion British reserves were below what could be considered safe. The Eden government knew that for the Pound-Dollar rate, and the cohesion of the Sterling area, to hold, they would need help from the IMF, and there the Americans held all the cards.