Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Tramp Steamers (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=302)
-   -   Hungry Ships (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=23491)

Arthur Jenner 3rd January 2009 03:10

Hungry Ships
 
Most of my ships were tramps. I did sail on a few tankers & coasters but tramps were my favourites. Some of them were hungry but the hungriest was SS Carlton owned by Chapman & Willen of Newcastle. I could tell a few stories about that trip.

Arthur Jenner

spongebob 3rd January 2009 03:37

Welcome to the site Arthur and let us have those stories about that ship.
we all have stories to tell and the narration by others often prompts the memory banks and produces a good thread.

Bob

J Boyde 3rd January 2009 07:08

Arthur, I, and I am sure many other members, will be delighted to learn about you and you experiences. Many of the ships that are refered to as tramps have gone into history. It is what you, Arthur, and our members remember and record are important. There are so many events that have not been reported resulting in all losing history.
Jim B

Kevin Wright 3rd January 2009 08:49

warm welcome from Thailand Arthur, glad to have you onboard, I agree with Bob & Jim,,, a lot of people nowadays would not understand what Tramp Ships were, I myself worked onboard a few Norwegian trampers.

Enjoy the site mate

Kevin

R58484956 3rd January 2009 10:45

We are all awaiting your stories Arthur, whats the hold up.

John Briggs 3rd January 2009 10:49

Welcome to the site Arthur and many, many thanks for your account of my voyage as a seven year old on the old Fort Glenora.

Arthur Jenner 3rd January 2009 13:33

Fort Glenora
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Briggs (Post 278481)
Welcome to the site Arthur and many, many thanks for your account of my voyage as a seven year old on the old Fort Glenora.

Surprise surprise!
Here we are again. You are the only person that I ever sailed with that I have been in contact with. Nice to meet you again.

Arthur Jenner 3rd January 2009 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by R58484956 (Post 278480)
We are all awaiting your stories Arthur, whats the hold up.

Just keeping you in suspense. I did post a story somewhere about the SS Carlton

Sister Eleff 3rd January 2009 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Jenner (Post 278535)
Just keeping you in suspense. I did post a story somewhere about the SS Carlton

For those that are interested, the thread is called The Bosun and the deck boy and can be found in the 'Tramp Ship' section.

demodocus22 16th January 2009 01:19

arthur jenner " carlton"
 
hi arthur, i done a trip in the " carlton" in sep 59 to jan 60 went to, africa, then across to buenos aries, argentine, i was s.o.s done 4 on 4 off the whole trip, i think i was the only one from liverpool, joined her in cammel lairds dry dock, what a trip, black cook, loved his brandy, some glasgow lads, one had his faced glassed in buenos , what trip, lucky to do 8 knots, was u there, what a shock comming from the blue funnel line hahaha, but wanted to see other parts of the world, frank hughes

demodocus22 16th January 2009 07:17

athur ???
 
when where u in the carlton, i was s.o.s in her,

william.marshall439 5th July 2009 21:52

Hungry Ships
 
I too was on the Carlton and the Demeterton , and the grub was of the best , nicely cooked and very well presented, I was Chief Cook, seriously I must admit it could have been a lot better given a better budget, but the beer was excellent,kept it in the fridges, there was plenty spare room in there. After paying off Demeterton had to wait over a week for my pay off money from Newcastle .

Ron Stringer 5th July 2009 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by william.marshall439 (Post 337942)
I too was on the Carlton and the Demeterton

Saw the Dmemterton launched from Readhead's yard at South Shields. She was the last ship that I worked on (as very junior helper) before moving from South Shields to Chelmsford. The radio installation was done by Sid Burnett who fitted most of the Marconi-equipped ships that came out of Readheads. Earlier this year he was still alive, in a nursing home and well into his nineties.

demodocus22 6th July 2009 03:53

w marshall
 
hi u should have been in the carlton, then, we had a black cook, was it u, ??? as soon as we hit port he was on the brandy, he could not cook for ??? as they say, " who called the cook a c, who called the c a cook," but stll enjoyed my trip in her, all of 7 knots with the wind and sea behind us, when in B/A, had to wait for the tide to take us up to Roserio, even comming into Avonmouth, just as well we had a tug, frank

jim morris 27th July 2009 22:40

I sailed on the old DEMETERTON Liberty ship built in 1944 from May 1958 till July 1959. The best trip that I had in the 5 years I was at sea. Joined it at Dagenham dock,

We had a cook from Ceylon and the 2nd cook was a Liverpool piss head (Freddie Sumner). The cook never went ashore all trip but the rest of the catering staff (2nd cook, A/S and myself Cabin Boy did and had a great time in the States, South America Japan, Canada back to the States then back down to South America again.

As far I can remember the grub was ok. It must have been as we were away for 14 months and I was still alive to pay off. 6 of those months we were without a Chief Steward. It beats those British Tankers trips anyday.

Happy sailing.
Jim

tsell 28th July 2009 09:35

Hungry Ships
 
My experience of Chapmans was in the Nurtureton in the 50's.
I have posted my story in the thread 'What was the worst ship you sailed on', post #18. The memory of that voyage will live with me forever!

Taffy R556959

stan mayes 28th July 2009 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim morris (Post 344465)
I sailed on the old DEMETERTON Liberty ship built in 1944 from May 1958 till July 1959. The best trip that I had in the 5 years I was at sea. Joined it at Dagenham dock,

We had a cook from Ceylon and the 2nd cook was a Liverpool piss head (Freddie Sumner). The cook never went ashore all trip but the rest of the catering staff (2nd cook, A/S and myself Cabin Boy did and had a great time in the States, South America Japan, Canada back to the States then back down to South America again.

As far I can remember the grub was ok. It must have been as we were away for 14 months and I was still alive to pay off. 6 of those months we were without a Chief Steward. It beats those British Tankers trips anyday.

Happy sailing.
Jim

Jim -
Demeterton was not a Liberty ship she was a British Standard WW2 type built at Burntisland.
She was sold in 1964 renamed Jayshree -Hong Kong flag.
!965 sold and renamed Freedom Venture -Hong Kong flag.
1971 broken up in Taiwan.
Regards
Stan

jim morris 3rd August 2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan mayes (Post 344619)
Jim -
Demeterton was not a Liberty ship she was a British Standard WW2 type built at Burntisland.
She was sold in 1964 renamed Jayshree -Hong Kong flag.
!965 sold and renamed Freedom Venture -Hong Kong flag.
1971 broken up in Taiwan.
Regards
Stan

Thanks for that info Stan, I was only a lowly cabin boy so was not into the technical side of ships but was always under the impression that it was built in the states in 1944. I stand corrected. Nice to know what her fate was.
All the best.
Jim

john powles 26th March 2013 20:28

Hi. I sailed on both the MV Demeterton & the MV Carlton in the 1960s my first ship the Demeterton as a junior engineer joined in january 1967 in Amsterdam & had the unforturnate accident of walking off the street into one of the canels & it was bloody freezing at the time.got a lift back to the ship in a convicts outfit by favour of the Amsterdam police ,boy did I look a sight for the crew.--happy day,s all gone now -but happy the the Demeterton is still going strong although not as pretty now.

expats 12th May 2013 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by john powles (Post 666205)
Hi. I sailed on both the MV Demeterton & the MV Carlton in the 1960s my first ship the Demeterton as a junior engineer joined in january 1967 in Amsterdam & had the unforturnate accident of walking off the street into one of the canels & it was bloody freezing at the time.got a lift back to the ship in a convicts outfit by favour of the Amsterdam police ,boy did I look a sight for the crew.--happy day,s all gone now -but happy the the Demeterton is still going strong although not as pretty now.

I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)

Erimus 12th May 2013 12:09

As an agency clerk on the Tees in the 1960's/early 70's we heard lots of stories about hungry ships..including the Hungry Hogarths, where, in fact, I never had a bad meal.

I was at a pay-off sign on once and a new Chief Steward came aboard and was delighted to be there ' he joined the company as they had more to spend per man than his previous owners (unknown) '....that figure was 3s 4d per man/day and the company was J.J. Denholm.....

geoff

Ray Mac 12th May 2013 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by expats (Post 677233)
I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)

was the 2nd/Mate name Antoine Bamber, bit of a religious man, he was with Oregon SS for many years.
Ray

expats 12th May 2013 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burned Toast (Post 677243)
was the 2nd/Mate name Antoine Bamber, bit of a religious man, he was with Oregon SS for many years.
Ray

I'm not sure of his first name but he was religious . In any conversation he'd reply to what had been said several minutes before; rather off-putting.

john powles 12th May 2013 16:31

The" D"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by expats (Post 677233)
I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)

Hi. I was on the Demeterton in '68 & I remember the clic cans you mentioned The chief steward used to put the clic cans together in some of the cases- if you complained about the food & ,when you bought a case of beer {tennants} he made sure you got the ones with several clic cans in. the engineer you were on about was mic timlin commonly called thunderballs a tallish lad very fair hair ,I made him a 21 birthday Key of the door out of brass down in the engine room it was about 8" long & polished up nice & brite I wonder if he still has it took me a while to make it.the apprentice you mentioned I remember him to he did have a way with the girls & yes he was skinny ate like a horse & never put on a ounce of weight Captain Williams was a bit of a con man to we caught him switching pre-recorded cassette tapes with ones that he had copied off. the second engineer was John Mchann a tall Irishman the chief engineer was Allan Gilan from Sunderland ,the have both deceased now .

expats 13th May 2013 08:31

John, I'm trying to 'put a face' to your name....

As I remember it we did a US/Ocean Island/China/Aussie/Durban/Boulogne run?
In Dalian I was called into a Red Guard comittee (my previous ship had been on a regular run to Leningrad and my discharge book was full of CCCP stamps) to describe life in Russia....I told them what I thought they wanted to hear and they stood and applauded me...
In Dalian there was another British Ship and we all went over in 'fancy dress' . I went as a cowboy; an engineer (maybe you?) nailed two bits of dunnage together, wore a sack, and went as 'Jesus' and the two apprentices pinched a pair of "Big Fat Gus's " long Johns and went as Siamese twins (God knows what the Chinese thought of us) to a party on board her. If memory serves, the C/Eng came back after midnight and was in 'deep ****' with the Red Guards...

Happy Days!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.