Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Bank Line (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=304)
-   -   Favourite port of call. (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=294207)

China hand 14th July 2019 18:40

Favourite port of call.

Amongst the ex Bank Line team, we have often spouted about things tramping, linering, docking etc. I can't remember if we ever had a favourite port thread.
Any ideas? For whatever reason at all, what port rang the bell for you?

China hand.

MikeGDH 14th July 2019 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by China hand (Post 2991873)
Amongst the ex Bank Line team, we have often spouted about things tramping, linering, docking etc. I can't remember if we ever had a favourite port thread.
Any ideas? For whatever reason at all, what port rang the bell for you?

China hand.

Kobe
Mike.

Robert Hilton 14th July 2019 20:53

Most of them.

Farmer John 14th July 2019 22:34

Always Bangkok, it seemed just that little bit more wild and I loved the approach up the river.

Half my family live there now, it is not quite the same place.

OilJiver 14th July 2019 23:00

For me John, a tough decision once upon a time, - Singapore or there. River transit notable, but would probably go Singapore. (Though neither place anything like now).

Paul Braxton 14th July 2019 23:06

Too many to speak of. Easier to remember some of the ones which I didn't like! (Dampier in NW Australia was one, another was La Skhirra in Libya and just about anywhere in western Africa).

makko 14th July 2019 23:43

Not Bank line but the "opposition"! Penang, Singapore, Hong Kong for runs ashore. San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, to see the missus!

Rgds.
Dave

David Williams 15th July 2019 00:23

Favourite Port of Call

The best Port of Call that I ever had was Kure in Japan,called
there about seven or eight times on the Empire Orwell,the best
ship that I sailed on.
Dave Williams.

stevie burgess 15th July 2019 02:39

For me it was the Kiwi coast and great times but also Japan and especially Kobe as we used to drydock there but also Kure as i joined a new build there and had many good times.

CEYLON220 15th July 2019 09:47

Going back to the 1950s - 60s, Ma-he ,Seychelles before it was a tourist attraction, Hong Kong where there was a bar every ten yards, Subic Bay where the US Marines thought they were cock of the north until the RN arrived, drinks in every bar that was visited wouldn't take your money, many of our lads drifted back to the ship blotto, great runs ashore --- every port visited the notice went up on the board " VD IS RIFE IN THIS PORT" Same notice went up on arrival back at Portsmouth!!!!!!!

John Paul 15th July 2019 10:51

Rabaul in mid 60's

MMA 15th July 2019 12:54

There has been a thread about best or favorite port but what subject it was under I can't recall.

You can break the best port down by what you liked there and when you were there. Brisbane for gigantic steak meals and giant prawns; Bangkok for the more salacious activites, although Kaoshiung comes just as near but slightly more upmarket, Hamburg for some excellent cultural activites and the best curry wurst in Germany, Singapore in the 1960s for the sheer buzz of being there - very different from when I lived there as a child, Durban for the best lobster thermidor anywhere, Port Swettenham in the 1960s for the unforgettable 'jungle bar' which had absolutely no charm or hygiene whatsoever but some great times and Bugo for the only bed-for-a-night beach near the ship where after a skinful of San Miguel one could sleep it off and get called from someone leaning over the fo'csle for turn-to the next morning. Happy Days.

tom roberts 15th July 2019 18:40

Home. Port Liverpool always the favourite,but abroad B.A.is among my best ,great bars the best steak in the world great girls and when sober enough I enjoyed the wonderful architecture.

MMA 15th July 2019 18:46

Following on Post # 1 and my post #12, there was a similar - but not the same - thread called "Shore Excursions" on page 10 of the Bank Line sub-site.

makko 15th July 2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom roberts (Post 2992057)
Home. Port Liverpool always the favourite,but abroad B.A.is among my best ,great bars the best steak in the world great girls and when sober enough I enjoyed the wonderful architecture.

Tom,
It is my regret that I never sailed from or to Liverpool. The only UK "port" that I visited during my sea career was "Gravesend, explosives anchorage!". I spent my time on the Barber Blue Sea service with Bluies.
Rgds.
Dave

Pompeyfan 15th July 2019 22:37

Hong Kong before handed back to China. We spent three days there not on Bank Line, but P&O's Canberra and 1954 built Arcadia. What a place. Junks following us into port, and setting up stalls on deck before we even docked, climbing the side of the ship like ants. Tailor's coming to my cabin to measure up for suits, trousers, shirts, the lot. Shoes made to measure all delivered to my cabin on sailing day. On the passenger terminal I would have the best shave ever, eyes tested with new glasses made to order. The passenger terminal was like a mini city, all you needed without going into town. The ship also had a wash and brush up. Going into town was also great, Kowloon. But a trip on the Star ferry to Hong Kong island is a must, and in the cheap section too!

Another favourite port was Cape Town. A ride to the top of Table Mountain a must. The view is stunning.

Sydney was another favourite for obvious reasons, possibly the best harbour in the world, but also our home port on Arcadia, and I had family there, so was like home.

Auckland was my former home, so I loved going back there visiting friends and the hospital where I worked.

seaman38 15th July 2019 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by makko (Post 2992101)
Tom,
It is my regret that I never sailed from or to Liverpool. The only UK "port" that I visited during my sea career was "Gravesend, explosives anchorage!". I spent my time on the Barber Blue Sea service with Bluies.
Rgds.
Dave

If I remember correctly the only explosives anchorage in the Thames in the 50's was 'Chapmans Reach' near Southend, the first port reached inwards after that would be Gravesend. Carried explosives on many trips from Chapmans Reach. Explosives down the forward holds, detonators in the aft holds. When discharging they were put in the same barge!

tunatownshipwreck 16th July 2019 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaman38 (Post 2992129)
If I remember correctly the only explosives anchorage in the Thames in the 50's was 'Chapmans Reach' near Southend, the first port reached inwards after that would be Gravesend. Carried explosives on many trips from Chapmans Reach. Explosives down the forward holds, detonators in the aft holds. When discharging they were put in the same barge!

Guy Fawkes would be in heaven.

Farmer John 16th July 2019 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunatownshipwreck (Post 2992153)
Guy Fawkes would be in heaven.

D'you know, I have never thought about it but maybe he is!

Waighty 18th July 2019 14:16

The London dockers who did the loading at Chapman's Anchorage earned a fortune for doing so. A couple of days loading explosives, armaments, etc. would give them a pay packet way way in excess of their wages for a week in the docks proper. In fact when they were on-board they were the highest paid people there!

gordonarfur 19th July 2019 01:06

Best ports to visit

The conference lines owned the kiwi coast during the fifties and early sixties if the telephone exchange girls or the local nurses had,nt called within an hour of tying up to find out when the next party was then you felt hard done by. For booze and sex nothing could match Havana until that bloody idiot castrated came down from the hills and spoiled it all.

noelmavisk 19th July 2019 05:57

Rio for me, the beaches, the women, Sugar Loaf, and the views from that Christ statue, I know the name but can't remember the spelling.

mrcruisine 19th July 2019 07:45

Great post, as some rightly put it, every port had something to like, and I knew fellow Bankliners who knew every port and for each the best place to eat, drink and anything else as well. The joys of tramping, and even the worst ports had some redeeming features. Like a few here Singapore, Bangkok, Kiousung, Manila, a heavenly time after a 4 week passage from South Africa, and even East Africa had some great places, Mombasa and the infamous Sunshine Day and Night Club, Lourenco Marques (Maputo) for Peri peri prawns, cashews, Laurentina beer and delicious crabs, Durban and Capetown always favourite spots. BA for great steaks and leathergoods, same for Montevideo, Rio for just about everything, sigh! we did a West Coast South America run via Magellan Straits, all ports to Vancouver, great ports there also, so many ports so little time. When on banana boats central and south american ports were great spots as well. I was so lucky to do a different run every trip so got to sample a lot. Thanks guys for invoking so many smiles this end!

ken thompson 19th July 2019 10:07

easy! late 60s early 70s, manila and suva with the c.n.co. both a sort of Glasgow at its party best. but then there was also the n.z. coast. hard to decide. I was so lucky!

Hygromia/3rdShip 22nd July 2019 03:53

BA was great as a first trip engineer apprentice.
2nd trip a visit to Cartagena, Colombia was very memorable
3rd trip, visited Bangkok, taking Atur gas to Vietnam in 1970 was memorable for other reasons, HK and Melbourne then Geelong as a base for a few months where we were taking AV Gas and Avtur to Pacific Islands (Fiji, N Caledonia, Noumea, Solomon Islands + a couple of other smaller islands) the visits to Suva were very the reverse of normal where the girls bought you drinks and you sat on their knee - tall lasses!!
Also visited NZ and really liked it so much, I emigrated 13 years later.
Also on that trip, we had a 2 month dry dock at Jurong and stayed in a hotel in town - that was awesome!