Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Looking for Old Shipmates (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   Members no longer posting. (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=292575)

lakercapt 6th April 2019 21:56

Members no longer posting.

Have I missed something but some of the regular posters have been absent for a while and wonder what has happened to them.
I have not seen "Keltic Star" for a while nor "Binnacle to name but two."

Samsette 6th April 2019 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakercapt (Post 2977755)
Have I missed something but some of the regular posters have been absent for a while and wonder what has happened to them.
I have not seen "Keltic Star" for a while nor "Binnacle to name but two."

KS was a strong poster as was Seamen38 so, what has become of them.
There are quite a few others, also, and I hope they will return. The Stormy Weather section has been reduced to just one thread, which is a pity, 'cause I enjoy more livelier stuff.

hawkey01 7th April 2019 12:46

Lakercapt,

Binnacle was on the site on the 4th April 2019.
Keltic Star has not been around for a very longtime. His last visit was 13th January 2018.

Seamen38 not listed as a member.

Hawkey01

Annmckinnon 7th April 2019 13:07

I posted a similar comment not so long ago regarding absent members ,they seem to vanish into thin air

Barrie Youde 7th April 2019 13:24

A bit like the Merchant Navy, really.

Hugh MacLean 7th April 2019 17:13

Seaman38 [seaman38] is still a member - last post 11 March 19. (Thumb)

I guess the site is not as interesting as it once was. Fragmentation of members to other sites, some old hands no longer with us, some boring topics being posted. It will either pick up or slowly go the way of many others.

Hugh

Farmer John 7th April 2019 23:42

We are getting older, and certain times of the year most of us are asleep.

Dickyboy 8th April 2019 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh MacLean (Post 2977885)
Seaman38 [seaman38] is still a member - last post 11 March 19. (Thumb)

I guess the site is not as interesting as it once was. Fragmentation of members to other sites, some old hands no longer with us, some boring topics being posted. It will either pick up or slowly go the way of many others.

Hugh

I agree (For what it's worth)
Some threads have become boring, but one of main complaints is how quickly almost any thread can be turned into a political argument.
There are many grumpy old sods who would prefer to bemoan the state of the world than chat about their lives at sea.
It should be a happy trip down memory lane, much of which could be repeated over the years.

It could also be said that it's all been said, so what's the point in staying in the forums?

spongebob 8th April 2019 11:01

I went back through my posts recently trying to find one I made about ten years ago and as I trolled through I was amazed at how many then frequent posters had dropped out.
Passing away, old age, boredom what ever , we are thinning our ranks as time becomes our leveller rather than other sites taking our fancy.
Those sea going days are long gone for many, I signed off my last ship almost sixty years ago, I have well nigh exhausted my stories but I will hang in here until the ship or I founder.
Keep posting .

Bob

RNW 8th April 2019 12:25

Bob, I am one of those who have stopped posting, not because I am disinterested, I look at the site daily, I just don't have any new stories to post.
But now I do !!
I live in Australia and a friend I made in Dover at the PWSTS in 1969 who lives in Blackpool has contacted me to say he has been given a visa to live in Australia.
Can you imagine what a reunion this will be when we meet.
We live in a very special world wide circle of like minded people. We all love the sea and it's people.
RNW

Harry Nicholson 8th April 2019 15:05

All things change. Ten years ago the Brocklebank forum buzzed with traffic - alas now it is rare to find a new post. Even so, SN is worth hanging onto - what else is there for an 80 yr old in the wilds of North Yorkshire who must keep an eye on his PSA?
Now my broken arm is mended, I'm driving again, making enamel art with a kiln, and writing memoir. I can recommend scribbling down your memories, even though most immediate family go glassy-eyed - it's amazing what lurks in the mind (better than what's on telly, at least).

It's inevitable that our happy band will diminish, impermanence is the way of things. Meanwhile, it will be soon warm enough to sow the runner beans.
May you all be happy.

spongebob 8th April 2019 21:55

Harry, I am about to plant out my Brocolli as autumn sets in down under, the PSA is on a Lazy rise and all is well
At least we have had the internet facility through which to enjoy one another's company and stories , a luxury denied all those Agincourt Longbowmen who had to fade away without sharing their tales and unable to leave an indelible mark on the scroll.
( providing SN doesn't go to ground)

Bob

Engine Serang 8th April 2019 22:38

In bed with a flu for a week.
And nobody gave a damn.

Dartskipper 8th April 2019 23:07

I wondered about all that coughing and sneezing...….:sweat:

Dickyboy 8th April 2019 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 2978185)
And nobody gave a damn.

Hope you're better now E S. Influenza is horrid innit?
I've had it a few times, and twice it developed into pneumonia which resulted in hospitalisation and very seriously ill. No one locally noticed, but they wouldn't coz I never told anyone. :)

Farmer John 8th April 2019 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 2978185)
And nobody gave a damn.

Was it in the "Bicycling Times"?

(read "Diary of a Nobody").

spongebob 9th April 2019 00:13

ES , sorry to hear of your set back but it is a timely reminder to me to attend the local doctor and receive the latest concoction of antigerm ,free for over sixty fives, as our winter looms.

Get well and posting

Bob

Engine Serang 9th April 2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by spongebob (Post 2978205)
ES , sorry to hear of your set back but it is a timely reminder to me to attend the local doctor and receive the latest concoction of antigerm ,free for over sixty fives, as our winter looms.

Get well and posting

Bob

I beg your pardon BOB. The Memsahib and myself trooped along to Boots last October and had our Flu jab, Euro 20 each, as we do every year.
Must have caught a different strain or perhaps a touch of swine flu.

stein 9th April 2019 10:41

Trotterdotpom, a frequent poster for many years, I have not seen any of his comments lately.

spongebob 9th April 2019 11:23

Yes, we miss his cut and thrust, even feared it at times , but don't take too many liberties.
He is lurking in the background

Bob

OilJiver 9th April 2019 11:26

Yes Bob. A master of the one liner.

(Come on John – just give us a quickie).

Ron Stringer 9th April 2019 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 2978243)
The Memsahib and myself trooped along to Boots last October and had our Flu jab, Euro 20 each, as we do every year.

Demand a refund! (Jester)

lakercapt 9th April 2019 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 2978243)
I beg your pardon BOB. The Memsahib and myself trooped along to Boots last October and had our Flu jab, Euro 20 each, as we do every year.
Must have caught a different strain or perhaps a touch of swine flu.

Wow we get it for free at many locations!!!!

Chris Isaac 9th April 2019 19:37

The site has just run out of steam.
We have no more stories to tell.
The gallery postings have become boring.
We need a new injection of seafarers, the trouble is that there are no “new” seafarers. When we left the sea it all just died.
Today’s seafarers do not have the adventures and fun that we enjoyed and remembered.

Pat Kennedy 9th April 2019 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Isaac (Post 2978347)
The site has just run out of steam.
We have no more stories to tell.
The gallery postings have become boring.
We need a new injection of seafarers, the trouble is that there are no “new” seafarers. When we left the sea it all just died.
Today’s seafarers do not have the adventures and fun that we enjoyed and remembered.

Maybe that is part of the reason but my own view is that many members became disenchanted with the new, seemingly disinterested, ownership of this site, followed by lots of Korean spam which seemed to go unchecked for a long time. Then there was the problems with the gallery, disappearing photos etc, and the schism which saw a lot of frequent posters move over to the Ships History site.
I still like SN, and look in every day, but I must admit to getting bored with some of the input these days.
I suppose it is up to us to start new and hopefully, interesting threads.(Thumb)