Ships Nostalgia banner

Wightlink Victoria of Wight tow from Turkey

12K views 78 replies 11 participants last post by  albertd 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been following the progress of the tug Amber II which it is towing Wightlink's new ferry Victoria of Wight to Portsmouth.

Earlier this afternoon, just SE of Sicily I noticed that it had deviated from its west heading almost north. It has continued on that heading (approx 340) since then.

I am wondering the reason. Have they encountered some refugees and taking them to safety perhaps?

See this link to Marine Traffic (select Past Track).

#69 ·
I don't think it was too windy. Sure, the flag was billowing well, but the hovercraft are still running. I snapped a few photos as well, though much like yours. Once the weather clears a bit, she should be fairly clear on the Gosport ferry terminal camera.

#74 ·
It was the wind I was thinking of, she has a lot of top hamper, and shallow draught, and the harbour mouth can act like a funnel. Especially from the SE, which fortunately wasn't the wind direction at the time. She did stand off for an half an hour or so before she committed to the move. I wouldn't have liked to have seen her do a Vanguard (Jester)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.