Ships Nostalgia banner

Saguanay Line

46K views 85 replies 41 participants last post by  shiploversa 
#1 ·
Some Time About The 1960 At Hull Docks We Had Alot Of This Shipping Companys Ships In All At The Same Time Six Thay Had All Come From The Usa Loaded With Grain Thay All Must Have Left In A Convoy Thay All Arrived Toughter It Was Unuseualy To See That Meany Ships Of The Same Line In Dock Can Anyone Put Lite On What Happened To That Company Thay Had Some Very Fine Looking Ships.there Names All Began With Sun--- Please Post Photos If You Have Any Must Have Blown The Local Shipping Agents Head In Looking After Lot Sam2182sw

#31 ·
French Canadian Engineer

We did have a FC eng. cadet. He lived in the Gaspe peninsula.
Originally worked on the "Lakers"
Deep sea time was equivalent double the lakes time.
His intention was to return to the lakes as wages there were excellent.
We dry docked at the Davey shipyard.
I was contacted by a Quebecois, who had resided on the banks of the St.Lawrence close to our collision point.
He sent me an excellent copy (in French) of the report he had compiled.
One evening, waiting for the bus, outside the Davey Yard, in the company of Mac, my welsh Junior, a Quebesoise lady said, in English,
"Have you been here long?"
Mac said, "Six weeks"
The lady replied, "Then, I haven't missed the bus."

True! I didn't make that one up.
canada tom

#33 ·
Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards

#37 ·
Hi Canada Tom, I do remember the bar @ The Kitimat Hotel in fact we where in there one night and a Big Brown Bear was trying to get in the foyer of the hotel ! The manager shood it away, he said they are coming out of hibernation because the smell of the bakerey then they go routing in the bins. I vaugely remember another place we used to drink a resturant something resembeling a Swiss Chalet also some meeting like a Caledionian Club Pipes and a band dancing etc or was that somewhere else. I might have met you , we used to talk to some lads from the Alcan Plant good atmosphere. I remember going ashore one night and looking up at these huge banks of snow that had been cleared by the snow plough , the driver said they had 26 foot of snow recently. Anyway Tom I have fond memories of Kitimat, We sent one of the J/E`s ashore to buy a rifle for target shooting we had permision of the Skipper, The J/E came back with a 308 cal bear rifle and a bag of bullets! I took it back and bought a more sensible 22 rifle and boxes of ammo, left the rifle onboard when we paid off in Rotterdam. Cheers Tom. John Richards

#38 ·
The chief engineers on the shuttle boats I sailed on were Karl Reinholdt and (I think), Fred? Williams.....but there was a third one who was something of a character/oddball whose name I can't remember. For the 6 months he spent on board he just has a bag the size of an aircraft carry-on bag.

I understand that he'd inherited a load of shares for the LaBatt breweries, and was worth a mint. Reputedly his home address was the penthouse flat at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in downtown Montreal. His personal hygiene left much to be desired, but fortunately he took his meals in his cabin.

Did you come across him?

#40 ·
In 1958 I joined Constantines in Middlesbrough in their agency department, the most hated job was the sending out of Cargo Circulars for the regular Saguanay Sailings....we employed a Cargo Canvasser in MIddlesbrough. The Head Office in London was the joint UK Representative for the Line along with Bahr Behrend in Liverpool. Whilst Avonmouth figured on some sailings, then Liverpool, we were more interested in the Glasgow & Tees loadings where we were agents. These circulars had to be issued within 48 hours of our receipt of stemming and that meant that if the girls couldn't get the Banda to do the labels then I, as office boy, had to take about 250 of them home and handwrite the addresses..........then post them the following day.

This service was full Liner only and was to the West Indies,multi-port, with a wide variety of goods, mainly industrial and agricultural....they were loaded at Dents Wharf in Middlesbrough.

Saguanay UK Ltd had an office on London Wall I believe..

geoff

#82 ·
In 1958 I joined Constantines in Middlesbrough in their agency department, the most hated job was the sending out of Cargo Circulars for the regular Saguanay Sailings....we employed a Cargo Canvasser in MIddlesbrough. The Head Office in London was the joint UK Representative for the Line along with Bahr Behrend in Liverpool. Whilst Avonmouth figured on some sailings, then Liverpool, we were more interested in the Glasgow & Tees loadings where we were agents. These circulars had to be issued within 48 hours of our receipt of stemming and that meant that if the girls couldn't get the Banda to do the labels then I, as office boy, had to take about 250 of them home and handwrite the addresses..........then post them the following day.

This service was full Liner only and was to the West Indies,multi-port, with a wide variety of goods, mainly industrial and agricultural....they were loaded at Dents Wharf in Middlesbrough.

Saguanay UK Ltd had an office on London Wall I believe..

geoff
Auriez-vous connu le capitaine Fernand Bedard ?

#42 · (Edited)
to find out

hi, i am trying to locate an ex-crew member who worked on one of
the saguenay ships that use to carry bauxite from guyana to the caribbean, his name is jose zamora, and he was from honduras, i dont know the name of the saguenay ship,but it was somewhere between 1954 and 1957 if you have any information i will be gratefull
annag

#83 ·
to find out

hi, i am trying to locate an ex-crew member who worked on one of
the saguenay ships that use to carry bauxite from guyana to the caribbean, his name is jose zamora, and he was from honduras, i dont know the name of the saguenay ship,but it was somewhere between 1954 and 1957 if you have any information i will be gratefull
annag
Auriez-vous connu le capitaine Fernand Bedard ?

#47 ·
in 1959 i was 4/engineer on the s.s.federal voyager a british ship chartered to the canadian government home port montreal when in canada. i remember the many sun ships of sagueney terminals at that time. i think there were 30 in total. they were very nice ships with a reputation for good feeding.

#48 · (Edited)
I was born in Guyana then British Guiana and I am researching material about Guyana and those who might have been in contact with Guyana. I have found the names of several individuals from Guyana who worked on ships out of Guyana including the Saguenay lines, their names were:
Carlos Pinheiro, Romeo Pinheiro, Bobby Pinheiro, Larry Pineiro, Alfred Alsop, Curtis Warren, Richard, Gill, Andre Gill, Aloric Gill and some other names I will post later. Does anyone know of them? Please feel free to contact me anytime.

#55 ·
Sunwalker

I worked on the Sunwalker during the summer of 1969 as a officer cadet. The skipper was Pakri. As a nineteen year old and coming from Montreal,it was quite an experience .

Patrick
I must have been on leave or else on the Sunbrayton that summer.

I had 3 or 4 months sailing with Pakri. An interesting time - he didn't trust any of his deck officers: had to be called for every alteration of course no matter what time of day or night, and when we were loading at Mackenzie he wanted to be called every time we about to shift holds to check our calculations.

The Mate (a Brit living in Portugal - forget his name) eventually invited Pakri to do the loading watches if he didn't trust his team! He backed off a bit after that.

#56 ·
Remember when sailing on Cunard cargo ships on the Montreal run in the sixties made a one off call up the Sagenuay River to port Alfred with cargo. Very picturesque river run from the St Lawrence to docking,wild counntry. Cant remember much in Port Alfred though just couldnt wait to get to Joe Beefs in montreal.
Sttuart

#57 ·
I joined the "MV SUNGATE" at Avonmouth in 1959, 16 months carrying various cargoes from the great lakes down the St Lawrence seaway heading for Bermuda and tha carribean islands through Panama and up the west coast of USA to Vancouver and on to Kitimat what a place that was and it was December so you can imaging how cold it was, from there back to VC load up for Niagata and Yocohama in japan then back to VC and back down to Panama. British Guiana and Venezuela to load Bauxite for our voyage home to Edinburgh, 16 great months many fantastic ports.

#60 ·
SaguenayTerminals

I joined Saguenay Terminals s.s."Sunrip" in Antwerp in September 1955 and sailed for Port Esquival,Jamaica and Kitimat,B.C. with a crew of Canadian Officers and Jamaican Crew.Spent two years on that run with an occasional grain run from the U.S.West Coast to Europe.After the two years I then joined the s.s."Sunwhit"also in Antwerp and remained on her for an additional two years mostly on the same run,Jamaica/BC. In March 1959 were were instructed to rendezvous with two other Saguenay ships,the Sunmont and the Sunvalley,I believe,in Hoellen,Norway were all three of us were laid up.I have a colored picture of the three ships all tied up together as a departed by small boat for the pier.Officers and crew proceeded to Oslo where the crew were flown to Kingston,Jamaica and the Officers to Montreal.Shipping was tough during those depressed years and since Saguenay Terminals had a major commitment to their many long-term charters the only logical thing to do was to dump their own older vessels crew and all,I guess.Saguenay gave all Officers three months severance pay - but it still hurt leaving those ships. Sayonara Saguenay!!. Liam Moran

#64 ·
Ahhhhhhh.....Captain Brown: a memory to treasure, Patrick.

You will have been aboard the Sunbrayton when he had his fall from grace in the bars of Chaguaramas at Christmas 1968, and the wheels fell off his wagon. Maybe you had signed off when Capt Brown signed on an extra 3rd Officer, Jack Lynch, at $485 US per month? She was the local 'girlfriend' that he couldn't bear to leave behind - Jacqueline Lynch. There was an on-board search by the local superintendent at Chaguaramas to discover who this additional officer was! The Payroll Dept were perplexed about this unknown/unauthorised signing-on. Capt Brown was fired shortly afterwards - surprise, surprise - and was last heard of sailing as 2nd mate aboard an ALCOA ship.

Happy days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.