Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - WW2 Tankers North Alantic
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2007, 22:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

My location
I very much agree with your point Split, the fact the Allies could not have won the war without the American industrial might. In no way do I wish to demean anyones efforts then or now however that is not what I was trying to say.

You have to read the facts as they have come to light today and not what you think you know from such programs on the History channel. I was guilty of doing just that. It is only during this year that I have gathered some decent books and begun to find out just what went on. I have a good friend who was on HMS "Loch Fada" in Walkers EG2. Another good friend who's dad was also in Walkers group commanding HMS Wren .. because of these people I have taken time to get some REAL facts ...and people must do that .. the information is now available and with those details you can understand the vast arena that was The Battle of the Atlantic.

A point for example ... during September 1939 to December 1941, the first phase of the Battle of the Atlantic the British sailed about 900 Atlantic convoys, U-boats achieved major successes ( 6 or more ships confirmed sunk ) on only 19 of these convoys. In total the 19 convoys lost 187 ships. The 900 convoys of the period comprised a total of 12,057 ships. So, 98% of all the ships in these convoys reached the British Isles.

Quote from Chay Blair .... "Contrary to the general perception at the close of 1941, (which I too held until I took time to read and digest) German U-boats were no where close to isolating and strangling Great Britain. Nonetheless the myth of U-boat prowess and invincibility had taken firm root in the publics mind. Rightly, Churchill had declared "The Battle of the Atlantic" to sharply focus the attention of British ASW authorities on the U-boat problem. This battle cry achieved its purpose more rapidly than is generally credited."

Now do you begin to see there is a hell of a lot more to the Battle of the Atlantic than we .. the younger ones ever realised. I am now 65 by the way.

If we are to pay due respect to those people who fought the war at sea then we must have all the facts to hand otherwise exaggerations will be found out and ridiculed by those to come, and God knows people want to put the boot in enough these days.

Love 'em or hate them the Americans were really needed and their Industrial might that Churchill and Roosevelt desperately eventually got on the Allies side turned the war.

Barnsey