Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Saguanay Line
Thread: Saguanay Line
View Single Post
Old 15th January 2016, 04:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1961

SaguenayTerminals

I joined Saguenay Terminals s.s."Sunrip" in Antwerp in September 1955 and sailed for Port Esquival,Jamaica and Kitimat,B.C. with a crew of Canadian Officers and Jamaican Crew.Spent two years on that run with an occasional grain run from the U.S.West Coast to Europe.After the two years I then joined the s.s."Sunwhit"also in Antwerp and remained on her for an additional two years mostly on the same run,Jamaica/BC. In March 1959 were were instructed to rendezvous with two other Saguenay ships,the Sunmont and the Sunvalley,I believe,in Hoellen,Norway were all three of us were laid up.I have a colored picture of the three ships all tied up together as a departed by small boat for the pier.Officers and crew proceeded to Oslo where the crew were flown to Kingston,Jamaica and the Officers to Montreal.Shipping was tough during those depressed years and since Saguenay Terminals had a major commitment to their many long-term charters the only logical thing to do was to dump their own older vessels crew and all,I guess.Saguenay gave all Officers three months severance pay - but it still hurt leaving those ships. Sayonara Saguenay!!. Liam Moran