Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - What goes on in the Galley.
View Single Post
Old 6th April 2009, 00:01
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,447
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Who called that nurse a nugget, who called that nugget a nurse, well something like that.

I never sailed in liners so I didnt know that nurses carried out galley inspections, so I have 2 queries,
a. Was this usual in all big ship company's, or just P&O.
b. I am sure that the big ship galleys worked more or less 24 hours a day, did that mean the nursing staff working a 3 watch system.

With regard to cargo ships, a good galley staff usually produced good food, within the constraints of the company provided stores, and it was usually appreciated by most of the crew. There were, of course, one or two dissenting voices, these were quite often owned by people whose espicurean expertise, and discerning palate, had been honed to perfection, in such notable eateries as dock yard canteens, chip shops and Stan Waters. But, never the less, when such less than complimentary remarks reached the ears of the galley brigade they took it to heart, and usually turned to and by combining their multi talents produced something really special for consumption by those Egons Ronays of the seven seas. Quite often the recipient of such special diets recognised the thought that had gone into their treat and rapidly joined the rest of the crew in appreciating the efforts of the galley staff.

By the way, does anyone remember Goddards Plate Powder. ?

a. I am not sure if other companies, but we certainly did on P&O.

b. We all took our turns. The medical department worked as a team, just as shore. I was in the galley the most, especially on Arcadia often getting my own grub and taking it back to my cabin, but also my patients if the passenger hospital steward was too busy. I Canberra, I had my own steward, but shared one on Arcadia. That was in addition to my Peak Boy and Laundry Steward, the same as Canberra.

We wandered in the Galley at any time especially after a bout of food poisoning which was just as often then, as today, if not more so. We were on call 24 hours a day, all of us. The Surgeon and Baby Doc took turns at night etc, but the rest of us were always on call.

Reply With Quote