Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Tremo
Thread: Tremo
View Single Post
Old 31st December 2009, 01:46

The available Treforest Mouldings (Tremo) catalogues comprise two distinct sets of documents – the more general lists of “all the world’s fighting ships” and the partially illustrated list of Royal Navy ships of 1940 vintage. The former is basically a list of the major ships from Janes Fighting Ships 1939.

Two recent photographs on the Vectis auction site (see links below) give a tantalising glimpse of potential Treforest Mouldings Warships not listed in the illustrated 1940 catalogue/list but listed in the general listing for the Royal Navy at a price of 3/9 (3s 9d). In the 1940 list these are shown as “new construction” but it has often been assumed that these were never produced as the company went into liquidation in 1940.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuc...Sub=0&Start=20

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot...tion=188&Sub=0

Ship Class Launched

HMS Illustrious Illustrious 5 April 1939

HMS Victorious Illustrious 19 September 1939

HMS Formidable Illustrious 17 August 1939

HMS Indomitable Illustrious 26 March 1940

I have been collecting Tremo ships from worldwide sources for a number of years and have never seen examples of these. The fact that the company actually produced boxes listing these must indicate that they had produced – or had plans to imminently produce these models.

Does anyone have examples of these? - if so, I would be interested in seeing a photograph.

Other ships in the “new construction” category include:

King George V class battleships

Fiji and Dido class cruisers

U class submarines

Tribal, J, K and I class destroyers were listed as “new construction” but were produced and are commonly encountered.

Uncommon/rare Tremos still crop up from time – I recently obtained the Argentinian cruiser “La Argentina” unexpectedly in a batch of other vessels.

I would be interested to hear of any “unusual” Tremos that people have or have come across.

Regards

Les