Ships Nostalgia banner

costa victoria

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 ·
it would seem that the costa victoria is been sold for the scrappers - which begs the question - how many more will follow - she is not that old - or do cruise ships have a certain life span - or is it that the covid 19 pandemic - will see more and more cruise ships being dormant and by default un economical - due to the impact of said pandemic

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I understand that safely manning one in the present cir***stances can reach around 300. With no income, no immediate prospects of any nor even any certainty in when earning can restart I am sure there will be both 'premature' scrapping and early maintenance periods for the necessarily smaller fleets that those determined to survive consider 'core'. Passenger vessels are subject to less fatigue and so have usually a longer fatigue lifetime than a cargo vessel changing out many tonnes of cargo every trip. There are new rules entering force that will accelerate the economics of scraping. Ballast water hygiene, de-carbonisation and de-sulphurisation being three.

#8 ·
40? Back in those old days of smoking... long gone. On POLAR URUGUAY there were no good smokes on board. B&H, Winston etc. Horrible. I asked the Ch Steward (the Radio Officer) asked my to but a carton of my own brand... Players (Plain), the good ones... white pack with the blue band and HMS HERO. Anyhow, I did buy the carton and at a good price to. The carton 10,000! The large 'box' was delivered and it was stored in my own locker. Lasted me almost 8 months.

The next leave I was unable to get Players... just the Canadian and they were horrible. I went to Silk Cut. The writing was on the wall! Stopped some 25 years ago.

#10 ·
I spent many years happily living in a Cabin, then on my first "Luxury Cruise" I lived in a Stateroom.
It was very similar to a cabin but didn't have a functioning daybed which I regarded as a necessity. I doubt if they will fit one on the Majesty of the Seas in the current climate. If I owned it she would be heading for Alang.

#12 ·
Perhaps, that but does Flag State approve of Alang as reputable for recycling? Europe has been fining owners for not using an approved facility even those who have hitherto avoided charges by selling to (obviously) intermediary third parties shortly before arrival off the beach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.