Ships Nostalgia banner

Ex Texaco Overseas Tankship

11K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  lowersonstuart3 
#1 ·
Hello there guys !

Joe Vella (Malta)
Ex Texaco Tankship Overseas 1973 to 1977.

Anyone remembers me ?
Texaco Southampton
Texaco Plymouth
Texaco Cardiff
Texaco North America
Texaco Frankfurt
Texaco Rochester

#7 ·
Great to hear from you and I too remember that drydocking subsequent voyage to the Gulf. I remember we got a set of the latest hand held radios which were immediately flogged by persons unknown and when LONDON FHQ were informed they promptly informed me that we would not get replacements as punishment. Much happiness and so much for Safety First.

#8 ·
Hello again guys,

Thanks for the first replies much appreciated.
May I be a bit (or even a lot) greedy and ask anyone for a small favour.
In three weeks time I have to give a talk about my experience at sea and as Sod's Law normally applies in such cir***stances I have a big problem accessing my photographs. Does anyone from Texaco have a couple of engine room photos say from the Japanese and the German classes ?
Thanks a lot beforehand,
Joe

#10 ·
Hello Mike and anybody else still viewing from the Texaco Corp.
My name is Dale Elliott (no.3 Son) of Cpt James Lynn Elliott. My dad passed away nearly 20 years ago but I'm pretty sure some of you fella's or maybe even you Mike would of had the pleasure of his company aboard. Dad (Jim) had a fairly long career starting out as a cadet up on the River Tyne with the R.Chapman & Son in 1949. All thru' Caltex and on to the VLCC ,finally achieving his Master ticket with Texaco in 1971. I believe Texaco Plymouth was often a conversation starter with him. Call sign 'GDYU' ? Will need to fact check that with No.1. Son, my brother Kevin, also of Texaco Overseas Tankships.
A bad attack of angina while offshore Indonesia had him hospitalized in Manila. I recall him often saying he thought his days were numbered lying in that steaming hot tropical ward and not knowing his survival chances. The Texaco London office eventually got him transported back home to N.Yorkshire. Early retirement ? not my 'Old Man' a new career path in Marine Surveying and leading figure in the early days of the Sea Safety Group / Coast Watch kept him just as active as he was all those years spent at sea.
I have recently contacted :
Brian Watson @
Benjidog Historical Research Resources:
The Allen Collection .
as I have a collection of my dad's many photo's from his service at sea. I haven't had time to pass them over as yet to Brian but I have read past posts on here/ facebook / merchant navy associates etc . So would like to post some pic's & notes from his book "Star of the Red Ensign" before handing them over to Brian. If somebody would like to suggest which web site to display them on ?

On another note I believe Terry Nunn knew my dad fairly well, would anybody know if Terry is still with us or for that matter anybody from the Fellowship of The Nautical Institute would like to leave a note of interest.

Great respect to all you ex-Texaco guy's and hope your all living a healthy retirement.
As my dad would say TTFN.
Kind Regards No.3 Son. Dale.

Newspaper Jaw Publication News Font

#22 ·
Hello Mike and anybody else still viewing from the Texaco Corp.
My name is Dale Elliott (no.3 Son) of Cpt James Lynn Elliott. My dad passed away nearly 20 years ago but I'm pretty sure some of you fella's or maybe even you Mike would of had the pleasure of his company aboard. Dad (Jim) had a fairly long career starting out as a cadet up on the River Tyne with the R.Chapman & Son in 1949. All thru' Caltex and on to the VLCC ,finally achieving his Master ticket with Texaco in 1971. I believe Texaco Plymouth was often a conversation starter with him. Call sign 'GDYU' ? Will need to fact check that with No.1. Son, my brother Kevin, also of Texaco Overseas Tankships.
A bad attack of angina while offshore Indonesia had him hospitalized in Manila. I recall him often saying he thought his days were numbered lying in that steaming hot tropical ward and not knowing his survival chances. The Texaco London office eventually got him transported back home to N.Yorkshire. Early retirement ? not my 'Old Man' a new career path in Marine Surveying and leading figure in the early days of the Sea Safety Group / Coast Watch kept him just as active as he was all those years spent at sea.
I have recently contacted :
Brian Watson @
Benjidog Historical Research Resources:
The Allen Collection .
as I have a collection of my dad's many photo's from his service at sea. I haven't had time to pass them over as yet to Brian but I have read past posts on here/ facebook / merchant navy associates etc . So would like to post some pic's & notes from his book "Star of the Red Ensign" before handing them over to Brian. If somebody would like to suggest which web site to display them on ?

On another note I believe Terry Nunn knew my dad fairly well, would anybody know if Terry is still with us or for that matter anybody from the Fellowship of The Nautical Institute would like to leave a note of interest.

Great respect to all you ex-Texaco guy's and hope your all living a healthy retirement.
As my dad would say TTFN.
Kind Regards No.3 Son. Dale.

View attachment 685685
Hi Dale,
I remember your Dad as Captain of the Texaco Rochester in 1976 when I was a Navigating Cadet.
He was a stickler for training. I recall one time he had 4 of us cadets lowering a lifeboat each and getting the crew into the lifeboats. While I managed to get my lifeboat down and loaded first Capt Elliott did mention that it was the last one to be secured back onto the derricks. Needless to say I did point out that getting the lifeboat lowered was the most important part of the exercise.
Good times and great memories.

#13 ·
Hi Joe, I’m sorry I don’t remember you even though we sailed with Texaco during the same years, one guy I do remember well from Malta though is called Paul Buttergee ( surname spelling is a bit of guesswork) I sailed with him on the Durham and Gloucester, he was a great guy and a fantastic seaman, did you ever come across him. ?