Ships Nostalgia banner

River Mersey wrecks

36K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  davidrwarwick 
#1 ·
hi all hoping for some information regarding wrecks on and around the Wirral, especially those in the Mersey itself.
My dad was telling me about a friend of his who used to work many years ago dynamiting the sunken ships of the Mersey so as not to create obstacles for the newer generation of larger vessels. that story has always had my attention and still to this day cant figure out if dad was having me on or if there has been that many wrecks on my doorstep. i am a keen historian and will gladly share any information i gather with any helpers and the ships nostalgia community

steve

#2 ·
Hi Steve, I don't know if you already are aware of these but there has been some plaques mounted on the sea wall from Vale Park up to the red buoy where the beach patrol stand at New Brighton. Giving details of various wrecks in the river. Also a book is available detailing wrecks called 'wrecks of Liverpool bay' Might be a good starting point.

#4 ·
I went along and had a look myself this morning, the plaques start at Seacombe ferry, then outside Vale Park, and finally by the Beach Patrol buoy at New Brighton.

There are thirteen altogether, and I took a photo of each this morning.

I have only uploaded the first five as this is all that is allowed to be upload by this site.

Any way I do hope the local thugs will leave them alone but some how I think that time will tell.

Attachments

#6 ·
You will no doubt be aware of the Tacoma Star which was sunk by a magnetic mine off Rock Ferry in 1941 , I believe. She was anchored near HMS Conway and on changing generators the de-gaussing was off and the mone set off. The crew were rescued by boats from then Conway. I'm sure if you Google Tacoma Star the info is there.

#9 ·
I made a voyage in Adula of Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co -15th June to 23rd August 1941....Thames to Trinidad and loaded 12,000 tons of aviation spirit
and discharged cargo at Stanlow.
Between Liverpool landing stage and Birkenhead (22nd August 1941) we passed the wrecks of two ships..
Both ships had been sunk by parachute mines on 13th March 1941.
Tacoma City of Reardon Smith Co - 4 crew killed.
Ullapool - Ropner Co. - 15 crew killed.
Stan

#15 ·
Hi Barrie, the vessel in question is the 'Tacoma Star' which was bombed in Liverpool docks.

The 'Tacoma City was indeed mined in the river (South of Cammell Lairds) The ship broke in half and the two parts drifted 800 feet apart before they sank. She had 4,000 tons of steel onboard. By the end of the war only 1,500 tons of the steel was recoved.

here is the next five plaques.. BTW my error, there is twelve plaques not thirteen counted the Empress of Canada twice (age thing you know (Sad))

Attachments

#14 ·
My Grandfather, George Callon was drowned in the Mersey when No.8 Hopper capsized in a storm killing 11 crew members 0n 7th February 1913. His body was found and landed at Canada Basin. His widow was awarded £244 compensation from the MD&HB. As a result of his death my Dad was placed in the Seamans Orphanage in Newsham Park, Liverpool as he was the eldest of 7 children. From there he went to sea himself.
Regards
John

#18 ·
Mersey wrecks

My old man worked on wreck clearance on the Mersey, sweeping the wrecks then getting ropes aboard the camels for tidal lifting and clearing out of the channel, most were then blown up by cutting charges and the bits and pieces lifted out of the water for scrap. I know that the last most recent wreck was one called "Ousell", she went down off Brombourgh and a Dutch firm was brought in to cut the wreck up and then the big lifting derrick "Taklift" was hired to pull the sections out of the water for scrap.

I think that derrick tried to clear the wreck in Formby channel but I,m not sure about that.

#20 ·
Mersey Wrecks

The cattle boat Stormont and the Donaldson liner Letitia were in collision, sometime in winter 1946-47, off Seacombe I think. Cattle carcasses were washed ashore as far as Formby Point. The war brides headed for Canada had their voyage cut short, as Letitia had to be dry docked for repair. Stormont was not so lucky.

Some members may remember Letitia in her later lives as Empire Brent and Captain Cook. She had a poor reputation among the "uncertificated" - or should that be uncertified.(Thumb)

#36 ·
Stormont sinking.

The cattle boat Stormont and the Donaldson liner Letitia were in collision, sometime in winter 1946-47, off Seacombe I think. Cattle carcasses were washed ashore as far as Formby Point. The war brides headed for Canada had their voyage cut short, as Letitia had to be dry docked for repair. Stormont was not so lucky.

Some members may remember Letitia in her later lives as Empire Brent and Captain Cook. She had a poor reputation among the "uncertificated" - or should that be uncertified.(Thumb)

I worked with someone from Waterloo who remembered the Stormont sinking and going on to Crosby beach at night ( with a lot of others ) in search of washed up cattle and butchering one. He took a hind leg home and put it in the bath. Meat was still a luxury after the war.

#21 · (Edited)
I wonder if anyone can help me?
A few years ago i remember taking a photograph of a wreck at low tide, it was just off Otterspool promenard about level with the oil jetty at tranmere.
Can anybody help me with its name and a photo if poss as i can't find mine,also some history,also if poss.
It looked like a Mersey flat but i am not sure.
TIA

#31 ·
Shipwreck Plaques for ships that went down in the Mersey near Crosby

Hi,

I heard that there are plaques around Liverpool and the Mersey coast for ship wrecks. Does anyone happen to know if they are any for ships that went down on Burbo Bank, Crosby near Liverpool in 1907?

If so, do you know a location of such plaques?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maxi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.