Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - My first Bluey
Thread: My first Bluey
View Single Post
Old 11th October 2014, 01:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

After four deepsea voyages, followed by a coasting voyage, on the Glengarry, I requested a voyage to Australia before I left the sea. Calverley, who appointed R/Os, was non-commital and sent me coasting on several ships for a period of about seven months, then asked, "How would you like the Deucalion. She's going to Australia?" Then added that the Ixion, fitting out in Belfast, would be ready next month and that Reg Peaston, who was to sail as her 1st RO/Purser, was ill and that, if he hadn't recovered, I could have her.

Reg recovered in time and I sailed from Liverpool on the Deucalion (Captain 'Film Star' Kerr) during the evening of Monday, 8 January, 1951. We broke down in the Mersey, it took 43 days to reach Melbourne, and we ended up going round Indonesian islands loading copra. (The story of the voyage is told in my Kindle book, Last Voyage and Beyond.)

The Deucalion had been the Glenogle, built in Glasgow by Harland & Wolff in 1920, and was part of the Glen Line Fleet acquired by Holts in 1935. Glenogle, Glenapp, Glengarry, Glenbeg, and five other vessels of the same design, had been the largest oil burning ships in the world and all were twin-screw motor vessels. The Glenogle, which was renamed Deucalion in 1949, had a gross tonnage of 9513 and accommodation for twelve passengers.

The other Glen Line ships listed above had been renamed as follows: Glenapp - Dardanus (GDXT) : Glengarry, which had been renamed Glenstrae in 1939 to release her name for the ship building in Copenhagen - Dolius (GCXD) : Glenbeg - Dymas (GBZK).