Ships Nostalgia banner

Alsatia/Andria Cunard

16K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Colin E Smith 
#1 ·
Anyone remember these two ? Both ex Silver Line and distinctive because of their twin funnels. Good ships mine was Alsatia circa early sixties with good memories

#3 ·
alsatia and andria bought 1951 from silver line, ex silverplane and silverbriar respectively. built j. l. thompsons sunderland 1948. they then became union freedom and union faith, the latter, i believe, collided with a petrol barge on the mississippi in 1969 and was burnt out.

the for'd funnel housed the chart room

#5 · (Edited)
These two were always my favourite ships. Although I never went to sea as a career, I did drive for Cunard Avonmouth office, and went aboard both of these. I was driving a hire car and working for my Father who supplied the car and we took the Captains and Officers, Engineers, and Chief Stewards of all for Cunard related vessels. These were Donaldson Line, which were back and forth across the pond. Port Line which did the Australasia trips, Brocklebank, on the Indian routes, and the occasional Cunard cargo ship. We had the four Med boats at different times. The Assyria called on one occasion, and the two mentioned at the start. I remember the Captain of the Alsatia asking the Cunard agent if I would go to his cabin on sailing day, and he gave me a five shilling tip. Now, that may not seem much, but my weekly wage at the time, was five pounds before stoppages. For this, I was expected to go out for any and every journey required by the agents. Tide times are variable so any time of docking or sailing, and any time during the day or night, but the day time was usually from about half nine to one thirty. Back again about three until about five-thirty/six-ish, and then return whatever time the ship sailed or one arrived. The Captains cabin was in the former funnel as I recall. Even to this day, I like these two ships, and I frequently look at the photo's I have of them, both as Cunarders, and Silver Line vessels. Dave H.

#12 ·
I was 3rd Mate on Andria for one voyage ex London to Canada /USA in Dec/Jan 1963. The senior apprentice was Paul watts, cousin of Charie Watts of Rolling Stones fame I believe and his uncle was Cunard Commodore at that time.What a wonderful elegant vessel she was and so fast averaging 17-18 knots regularly.Next voyage I was brought down to earth with maximum 8 knot , wartime 'Sands' boat 'Brescia on the Meddy run. !! happy days.

#15 ·
Andria

I joined her in Tilbury end November 1962 and did one voyage as Third Mate leaving her january 1963.
What a most handsome vessel with passenger accommodation for 12 and fitted out to a very high standard,eg beautiful wood paneling etc. huge central staircase with pollished brass rails etc. Our personal cabins were brilliant. Our Captain was H.A Stonehouse and think the senior deck apprentice was Paul Watts, cousin i believe of Charlie Watts of Rolling Stones fame later to become Ships Master in the Far East. V. Happy days and wonderful camaraderie. I believe she was sold shortly afterwards. I have a wonderful picture of her in full flight heading west from Dungeness. Best Wishes, AJW

#16 · (Edited)
Deck Cadet on Andria

I was a deck cadet on Andria in December 1962. We spent Christmas in the port of Halifax. I think New Year's eve the ship was in St. Johns, New Brunswick. As the junior deck cadet it was my job to go up on to the bridge at midnight and blow the whistle to welcome in the New Year. However, I didn't make it to the bridge, having collapsed on the stairs somewhere on the way up due to excessive consumption of alcohol. The Andria, as a result, was the only ship in the port that didn't blow the whistle at midnight.

The other two deck cadets on the ship with me were John Griffith and John Bubb. Both a lot fun and great to sail with.
Andy Wilson was the 3rd Officer, I can't remember the 2nd Officer's name but he was very good at helping us cadets with our studies and signal practice on the bridge.

The Chief Officer was a real character Peter Brush - as mad as a hatter. I remember Brush on the focsle whilst the ship was tying up in KGV dock, London wearing a long fur coat and with a long haired wig on holding up a jumbo comb in his hand, he shouted down to somebody on the quayside "what time do the barbers open". He had a pilot's license and the story goes that he flew a plane between the funnels of one of the original "Queens". He was called into Cunard's office and admonished but not sacked for this prank.

When I was on Andria I saw from some old deck log books that my uncle Captain Frederic Watts had been Master on Andria in the 1950's. My uncle was later Commodore of Cunard.

I was still on the Andria in London in 1963 when she was handed over to the new Taiwanese owners. A whole bunch of Chinese came on board and when walking passed them they would salute me and the other cadets as we were in officer's uniform. We found it very amusing and made an effort to walk passed as many Chinese as possible just for more salutes.
A lot of us took something as a souvenir off the ship when it was sold. I still have a brass oil lamp with a concave face. It was a bridge telegraph lamp used to illuminate the telegraph in the event of a blackout.

When in London Cunard would put a public phone on board for crews' use - the old fashioned button B type. I remember when a clerk from the office would come to remove the phone shortly before sailing and saying he couldn't understand why there wasn't more money in the box. I knew why as I used to upend the box and shake the money out, after all I was only earning four quid a week then (or was it a month?)

#22 ·
Deck Cadet on Andria

I was a deck cadet on Andria in December 1962. We spent Christmas in the port of Halifax. I think New Year's eve the ship was in St. Johns, New Brunswick. As the junior deck cadet it was my job to go up on to the bridge at midnight and blow the whistle to welcome in the New Year. However, I didn't make it to the bridge, having collapsed on the stairs somewhere on the way up due to excessive consumption of alcohol. The Andria, as a result, was the only ship in the port that didn't blow the whistle at midnight.

The other two deck cadets on the ship with me were John Griffith and John Bubb. Both a lot fun and great to sail with.
Andy Wilson was the 3rd Officer, I can't remember the 2nd Officer's name but he was very good at helping us cadets with our studies and signal practice on the bridge.

The Chief Officer was a real character Peter Brush - as mad as a hatter. I remember Brush on the focsle whilst the ship was tying up in KGV dock, London wearing a long fur coat and with a long haired wig on holding up a jumbo comb in his hand, he shouted down to somebody on the quayside "what time do the barbers open". He had a pilot's license and the story goes that he flew a plane between the funnels of one of the original "Queens". He was called into Cunard's office and admonished but not sacked for this prank.

When I was on Andria I saw from some old deck log books that my uncle Captain Frederic Watts had been Master on Andria in the 1950's. My uncle was later Commodore of Cunard.

I was still on the Andria in London in 1963 when she was handed over to the new Taiwanese owners. A whole bunch of Chinese came on board and when walking passed them they would salute me and the other cadets as we were in officer's uniform. We found it very amusing and made an effort to walk passed as many Chinese as possible just for more salutes.
A lot of us took something as a souvenir off the ship when it was sold. I still have a brass oil lamp with a concave face. It was a bridge telegraph lamp used to illuminate the telegraph in the event of a blackout.

When in London Cunard would put a public phone on board for crews' use - the old fashioned button B type. I remember when a clerk from the office would come to remove the phone shortly before sailing and saying he couldn't understand why there wasn't more money in the box. I knew why as I used to upend the box and shake the money out, after all I was only earning four quid a week then (or was it a month?)
Good to hear of you Paul… I am now retired and live in Suffolk …following many happy years in the Port Industry after Cunard. After retirement from Felixstowe I joined the Board of Harwich Haven Authority as a Non Ex leaving six years ago…..if Colin Smith is able to read this ….hello and get in touch!
John Bubb

#18 ·
Hi Paul, I'm Colin Smith. What a drag back to very happy times, we sailed together on the Andania with John Bubb. I also lodged with your Mother in Waterloo Road when I was up for Second Mates. Glad to see that you are still with it, I have very fond memories of your Mother and Father. Do you any idea where John Bubb is? Regards Colin.

#20 ·
Hello Colin,

I'm Howard Anguish and sailed with a number of people mentioned in this thread, including John Bubb, although not on the two ships in question. I spent a number of years both on the cargo ships (including the above mentioned Brescia!) and the 2 passenger ships Sylvania and Carinthia, and latterly Atlantic causeway, before transferring to Offshore Marine which had become a subsidiary of Cunard. Until last year John Bubb was a senior manager at Harwich Haven Authority but I have no idea of his contact details. Maybe they can help you.

Regards

Howard

#21 ·
my uncle john goss born 1912 in cork/ he was f/trimmer sailed on the alsatia 1956
my mother lost all contact with him /hope some one might know what become of him /got a number s1127096y/ i am new to the site/he was in the merchant navy since he was young /love to hear any info about him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.