Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Kharg Island
Thread: Kharg Island
View Single Post
Old 13th June 2006, 13:43

Kharg Island

Some of you tanker men out there must remember Kharg Island in the gulf with its very friendly armed guards who used to board the minibus on your run ashore and demand all matches lighters etc. Surely if the were to fire one of the guns there would be as much chance if not more of a fire risk what with all the fumes in the air. You may also remember the Japanese Sankyo line with their large green hulls and white accomodation who would tie up alongside the jetty either load or discharge ther cargo and be gone in half the time it took your ship to do the same. did'nt you just love to be lying in your bunk off watch and listen to the sound of the big jet engine driving the pumps. Having looked at the Island using Google earth I noticed it was destroyed I think during the Iraq Iran Wars please correct me if I am wrong.Have they or are they going to rebuild it ?
You guys may also remember Butchers Island at Bombay in India I was never there for very long thankfully although I do rember stories from our sparks and his wife who were shocked at the sight of young girls locked in cages awaiting their fate. I was told that they had come in to the big city from small villages etc to earn the big money and this is how they end up.
Ah the joys of being on a tanker