Ships Nostalgia banner

Maiden Post

1K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  NickNZ 
#1 ·
Hello, this is my 1st post. Am new to this form of communication.
I recently retired as a ships Master in the oil industry.
I started with British & Commonwealth working on Clan & Union Castle vessels in the early 60's until '74.
Moved to container Fleets (OCL).
Emigrated to South Africa in '81.
Worked SA coast 'til '02.
Worked world wide in oil industry until this year.
Would be keen to hear from any old shipmates.

#10 ·
Welcome Tony,

I was B&C from 69 to 76, cadet to 2nd. Mate and although our paths didn't cross I recognise the name. Having not been back to SA since leaving Clan Line I now have a holiday home up on the West Coast, where I'm writing this from now!! I don't know whereabouts you are living but if you happened to be in the Cape and going to the cricket on Friday I'd be happy to buy you a beer at the game.

Charlie

#11 ·
To Charlie Wood

Hi Charlie
Thanks for the post.
Sorry for the tardy reply, only picked up your message today.
I live in Table View on the outskirts of Cape Town just off the West Coast Road near Bayside Shopping Centre.I recon you would pass it on the way to Cape Town.
I am in the Cape Town phone book under "FUSSELL AH."
It would be very good if we could meet up for a beer or two.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Tony

#17 ·
Hi Tony,
Welcome to a great website.
I lived in Cape Town from 80 -84, before returning first to Plymouth, and then migrating to Godzone (NZ).
Lived in Milnerton and later Newlands, while my parents live at Melkbosstrand, where my Dad was working on Koeberg. I sailed mainly in False Bay.

#20 ·
Greetngs from Table View

Hi Nick
I emigrated to SA from Plymouth. Lived in Wembury.
Have been to NZ quite a few times in the 70's when I was with OCL (Container Fleets). Great place, would love to visit again. Have a few old friends that also went out there.
Do you visit your parents back here at all?
Regards
Tony

#21 ·
Welcome Tony. I was in U-C until 1964 as Radio Officer. My last deep-sea trip was on Kenya Castle when I left to take my radar ticket and get married to a U-C Purserette, Ann Brewster. Your name does ring a bell but I don't think I sailed with you.
Ted Sandle

#23 ·
Hi Tony,
Ah Wembury, where you can wake each morning to the sound of gunfire (HMS Cambridge!). There are a lot of Janners working in the dockyard, recruited from Devonport Dockyard. Sadly both my parents passed away through Alzheimer's.
My Dad was constantly turnng up at the dockyard gates in the mid 90's trying to rejoin his ship. Thanks to MOD Plod, and helpful matelots he was handed over to the D&C Police and taken home.
I'm sure you'll get as much enjoyment from this site as I do.
All the Best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.