Ships Nostalgia banner

Gatx Oswego Uk

37K views 85 replies 43 participants last post by  Curly Hunt 
#1 ·
I would to hear from anyone who served on these unusual ships.

Bob Preston

#43 ·
Hi Tom
From your previous messages I feel I should have met you,I joined the Carnegie Dec 75 with Bob Brooke's (3m) and the R O Tony who's surname I forget.From preview replays you mentioned Bob Brooke's so my train of thought is that you either relieved Tony or Tony relieved yourself.That trip in particular was mainly spent at anchor off Dubai for almost three months and then off to Brest or Le Havre if my memory serves me well,Which is where I paid off with Johnny Lockhart(3e) Willy Laird(c/e) Mike Guy and myself,there may have been others but I don't recall.Anyway if none of that triggers any memories of anyone have a merry Christmas anyhow.Best of luck now and for the future
HARRY

#59 ·
John Faber was his name. An ex Shell cadet. I recall John roaring and complaining about the actions of the Nigerian customs department after they found a "fault" with our bond while at Bonny. He was in full flight with some definitely non PC language when he remembered the junior second, a Kenyan, Nelson Kibuay was in the officers bar. B\)

#54 ·
Hi Bob,
Agree with you 100 per cent.

I lost track of people after 1979 - but others who have also crossed the bar you would have known - Carl Diedrich about 3 years ago, and two of my office colleagues - Gordon Linton and Richard Thompson -Superintendent Engineer.

Happy Days Bob

Best regards

Mike Dooley

#64 ·
Hi David
Good to hear from you yes all fine Noreen sends on her regards

How is Lyn?

What you up to these days ?

They were mad days on the Gatx Cruises I still remember the Scrabble I don't know if the words we used are still part of the English (or Scottish) language!

We have two children - youngest 32! Time flies

Keep in touch

Regards Tom & Noreen

#66 ·
Sailed as bosun on the Camdem, Joined in Pembroke & paid off while at anchor off Dunkirk. Did some repairs to the padded cell which was occupied during the previous trip by someone who attempted to start a fire. A good ship with a mix of Geordies, Somalis' and Taffs'. Date was mid 70's

#70 · (Edited)
Corrections

I was on the Bamford and flew out to it on its maiden voyage from Japan
I flew out to the Boxford at Kharg Island
Catering boy and Assistant Steward until the fleet was sold out from under us by Blandford's

I still cannot trace the Bamford's IMO number, she is an elusive lady on the web yet it turns up on this site (thanks lads)
Bamford-Cadogon-Aly B
The Boxford is much easier, Boxford-Carneige-Philip of Macedon IMO 7019103

I did my steering ticket under Terrence Took

#73 ·
Hi guys
I was on Cadogan in Nov 72 till may 73 as A/Stwd and cadwalader July 73 till Nov 73
I remember Bob Preston great guy he use to develop my photos i also remember an incident where the night watch expecting the pilot dropped the pilot ladder over the side,knocking taff over the side his mate raised the alarm a line was thrown it landed across taffs body alas no movement a lifeboat was dropped we searched in a pitch Black Sea almost getting run down by an Iranian patrol boat.patrol boat found taffs body but couldn’t hold him they were too high out of the water he sank underneath the boat i never did hear anything about that incident

#74 ·
This may not be particularly relevent but in about 1970 I sailed on the OSWEGO FREEDOM /LIBERTY/DEFENDER to supervise tank cleaning prior to major dry docking in Spain and Japan I was the only european on board as all crew were Taiwan Chinese They were theoreticaly owned by Bethlehem Steel USA with Liberian Flag Very well managed ships with on board catering run by a crew committee

#75 ·
In 1967 i was offered the Bedford, a very large tanker just built for Blandford shipping and waiting for a crew in Sasebo, Japan.
Signed on as A/steward in Sasebo on 25/4/67 and from memory straight up the gulf and then back around the cape to Rotterdam.
I believe it was going to be a very fast discharge and then rumour was that we’d be doing it again for the foreseeable future
I packed my cases and walked off and caught ferry home, and never regretted it.
She was a beautiful ship,-very big and at the time i was told one of the worlds biggest.
Cabins were good; can’t remember the food. Know she had good cabins, a swimming pool and a padded cell.
It just wasn’t for me, running back and forward up the gulf to Europe.
From then on i stuck to cargo ships and a few liners and also changed from catering to engine room.
Just who were Gatx-Oswego and where did they come from? and why did Blanford’s sell their ships?

#77 ·
Hi, i'm Dave Bisset from Aberdeen, now 67yrs old. Joined Casterbridge 1973 last trip Casterbridge again 1976, also on Carnegie, Camden as 5th then 4th engineer. Remember Willy Morgan, Paddy Blair, Rex Barlow, Tom Makepiece Bill Laird all engineers. Peter Davidson, Dia Reece as captains.
Would be nice to hear from anyone who remembers me'

#78 ·
Hi Dave,
Tom Dwyer here I was the R/Off on the Casterbridge with you - many years ago now!! Yes I remember those people also. Other engineers that come to mind, Johnny Lockhart, David Niven, Vince O'Reilly (?) Ross Ramsey and George Yule who I think was from Aberdeen. Lecky's John Atkinson, Jimmy Bone, Lenny Douse & Paul Bodsworth. Lots of memories here. I did my last trip in 1981 and been working ashore until May 18 when I reached retirement age - now officially an OAP!!!. Good to hear from you and keep in touch. Regards Tom

#79 ·
Wow...a lot of names from my long gone past here...Tom...I remember you and Noreen like it was yesterday. Only did two (pretty decent) trips on the Carnegie and one (godawful) trip on Cadwallader..

After that went of for a few trips with Whitco/Salen and went ashore end of 81 into the family business. Apart from a couple of winter contracts in the mid 80s have been a Bee Farmer ever since.

#80 ·
Hi Murray
I had already posted a reply but it seems to have disappeared!
Yes I remember you very well and good to hear from you.
Left the sea also in 1981 and retired in May 2018 been working in the radio communication business as an account manager selling mainly to the emergency services.
Noreen sends on her regards and wants to know if you still have a head of black curly hair?
Mine has changed to a white colour I think too much sun is to blame!!!
Hope you are keeping well in these strange times. It's like slow steaming from the Gulf to Rotterdam!
Good to hear from you and do stay in touch
Best Regards
Noreen & Tom

#84 ·
Hi All, I'm just wondering if anyone served with my Dad, William (Bill) Saunders in the 60's or 70's, he was a sparky with Gatx Oswego, I don't know the name of any of his ships, but I seem to remember he was on a large ship that they had a moped for getting around on, or that might have been a tall tale. :) Any info much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.