Ships Nostalgia banner

shell tankers

92K views 113 replies 60 participants last post by  D. Brook 
#1 ·
is there anybody who served on shell tankers between 1978-1981,
my first tanker was the fusus, then lanistes and then the coal carrier
tectus,i was deck boy then j.o.s. s.o.s. and finally a.b. there must be someone else i cannot remember names, but if i see a name i am sure it will all come back to me, hope to find someone soon. (K)

#2 ·
I spent time on the Shell tanker "Drupa" during 1979. Engaged on taking crude from the Brent Spar to numerous UK ports ( Tranmere/Fawley/Teesmouth etc). Also equiped with Yokohama Fenders for Lightening in Lyme Bay. Good ship approx 75,000t if I remember correctly so not a bad size for a "Coaster". Sadly scrapped now I think. (Thumb)

#3 ·
We used to sing a song about the drupa, it goes something like this.
I lost my a** on the shell ship drupa, to the tune of starship trooper.
Were you plagued with cockroaches onboard, i heard the D class tankers were full of them, what was life like onboard.

#4 ·
Starship Drupa

Ashley

Cannot say she was infested at all, cannot remember seeing any. Good size double cabins for the GP3's, AB's didn't like keeping them tidy ( Too Big ). Do Not recall the food too brilliant, but used to catch plenty of fish at the spar so always fish/chip suppers. Always cold running to north of Shetlands even in summer, spending watch duties on the fo'sle looking at the strain gauge on the spar. Trying to dig out picture of us lightening the "Batillus", will post it when I find it. (Thumb)

#7 ·
Shell 'Sparky' from 70's & 80's

Hi there,

Came across this thread doing a Google on 'Lanistes'. I was a Sparky with Shell from '77 to '87 and the Lanistes was my first trip in '77, 6 and a half months as a junior r/o. Spent quite a bit of time around the North Sea, Brent Spar, Fulmar FSU etc. Would be good to catch up with anyone I sailed with. Sure you'll remember the name, John Dechant.

#9 ·
i was serving with shell ships megara halia lanistes new from chiba lampas litiopa new from chiba felipes new from haugesund then again on curacao west africa run then naticina . couple names remeber well peddler palmer pacheco charlie zahra bob prichard d. healy harry brough junior walker terry o,niel

#10 ·
Lanisites

I sailed on her for my first trip from le-havre to the gulf via douglas, isle of man.

I have seen the tectus on a number o f occasions. Once when i was on the lepeta and we broke down around the entrance to english channel, and the tectus played "we are sailing" by rod stewart as she went passed us. Thanks a lot Guys!!

Boots[=P]

#14 · (Edited)
Drupa

Spent a lot of time on Drupa over the years, late 60's to late 70's, as sparky, including the D/D in Falmouth when she converted to work the Brent Spa. Got a lot of very fond memories of that vessel and the people on her. Somebody asked for the picture of Drupa and Batillus, so I've attached the classic photo of that operation (sorry the quality of that pic isn't too great, but it was a press photo). Regards to all ex-Drupa men ! (Thumb)

Attachments

#99 ·
A name to a face

Spent a lot of time on Drupa over the years, late 60's to late 70's, as sparky, including the D/D in Falmouth when she converted to work the Brent Spa. Got a lot of very fond memories of that vessel and the people on her. Somebody asked for the picture of Drupa and Batillus, so I've attached the classic photo of that operation (sorry the quality of that pic isn't too great, but it was a press photo). Regards to all ex-Drupa men ! (Thumb)
Chap to the right on your photo looks like Alan Gowing, a CPO I sailed with a couple of times. A great man. Last sailed with him on the Tectus in 1981. I also sailed on the Drupa. A good ship, tough on deck in some of the colder weather!

#19 ·
Commodore Johnny Davison

Hya all
My uncle served as Commodore in the mid 1970's.
I am very interested and would be very grateful if anybody who served under him could give me some stories or even tiny snippets?
regards
Paddy Chrisp
[one time Union Steam Ship Company shoreside worker] and
Son of Capt Peter Chrisp, Port Line and Lyttelton Harbour Board

#20 ·
I sailed on Drupa (1st trip!), Northia and Norrisia and Loaded at the Spar on all of them, Also loaded from the fulmar FSU (even when she went walkabout 1 Year in December)
The Northia has been converted to an FPSO called IKdamn (or similar name)
Drupa was Scrapped some time ago
Don't know what became of the Norrisia (Shell 1st DP tanker)
I joined Shell in 1984 as an SST (for those who remember them) with Ian Baird, (huge Scouser) Mark Vowels, from Bristol area (I think) Craig Morrison (NE area) and Alan.....?(another scouser), I was the last to leave the company in 1994. So Hello to all and any who remember me...and no I do not want a job thank you. Cheers Carl

#21 ·
The Norrisia is one of the knutsen tankers now. I don't know if Shell still have any shuttle tankers left. Does any one know? and if so are they British crewed?
I sailed with Ian Baird when he was third mate on the Northia in 1992, I also sailed with a guy called Mick Hurst who was a SST in 1992 and last time I sailed with him he was just going to join a dredger called City of Chichester as master. Nice to see SSt,s getting on.

#24 ·
I don't know if Shell still have any shuttle tankers left. Does any one know? and if so are they British crewed?

David,

The last Shell shuttle tanker was the Cardissa, a previously Dutch manned ship that had ended up with Brit/Irish officers and filipino ratings. She was sold in 2004. A replacement ship was being sought for the F 3 field but it was not going to be managed by Shell.

Regards,

Mark

#25 ·
Sailed with shell from 76 till 86 when they went i.o.man manning and i bailed out then. Got a job locally working for whitaker tankers and still there today. Did the "L" class, joined lepeta when she was 3 months old in europort, still had dockworkers onboard finishing off the painting. Left in point tupper 6 months later, never seen so much snow!
Did all the north sea bits, best port for me was ardrossan then ended up on the "E" class out the far east.
My nick name was (still is ) fozzy deck boy to g1.(Jester)

#28 ·
Ebalina 85

Hi mick, a quick line hoping that you are keeping ok, fozzy here. It was the ebalina where we sailed together many years ago. Only did one more trip after that then left when we were all offered redundancies. Didnt fancy the 70 hr weeks. I married the girl who was sending me all those loverly letters you still remember, still together after 22 years.
Iam still at sea , working for whitakers on the solent , bunkering cruise liners, rfa, dredgers and anything else thats passing by. Month on month off which is great.

what you doing with yourself these days, still at sea?
Hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you in the near future mate

All the very best
fozzy.(Jester)

#36 ·
Hi Fozzy. Good to hear from you. I'm still at sea - Purser with the RFA. Glad to hear your still with the same lady, i've never witnessed so much 'love mail' before or since. I did a few more ships with shell after the Ebalina, but as non-contract. Still remember some of the good guys' names from Shell: Alec wilson, derek paton, peter daltry, arthur pratter, russell day, Fred lang, biff johnson, bob thomas - cook, jimmy brymer - cook to name a few. Do you remember Bernie Harwin - cook from Hull, and a young AB Chris ? (he had blond curly hair) i think you took him under your wing on one trip? Another Hull lad was old John Scott - now he could tell some stories!! One or two ex shell lads are in the RFA, tricky dickie to name one.
Take care and if i'm in Marchwood area i'll look out for you on the whittaker boats
Mick S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.