Old 26th October 2015, 21:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brown View Post
The photo of the 3 of us was taken in Ipswich ( date not known)

This photo is the last in my collection. It is taken at HMS Fisgard on top of the shower block adjacent to Anson Division living quarters. I don't remember all the names or why we are up there but the chap on the left is Watkins ( I have reason to believe he was also at Woolverstone) The gentleman holding the ball is Jim Tribe, I am behind him and the chap on the right is Lou Armstrong. I would date it 1950.
For useful info, early in 1948 the London CC offered Middlesex CC 12 places at Woolverstone and I came 13 out the 12 but one failed the medical and I got in( it was certainly lucky, I have the number on my lotto but it has as yet to pay up) I never did find out who the 12 were but Alex and Lou came from Midddlesex.

Tony,

I arrived in 1948 and came from Stanmore in Middlx, so presumably I was one of the 12. Can still recall the tests and interview. Didn't do well at either, so don't know what happened. I recently found a monthly receipt for Woolverstone Hall contribution in my dead parents papers, and it was for 5.10 which was a significant % of their earnings in those days!

I remember Tribe who was a very big lad. He had an arranged punch up in 12 dorm with another lad whose name escapes me - was it Hepworth or similar? Blood everywhere.

There are a few not very good quality pics still in my collection. Here is the silverware and prize table at sports day 1950, I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.1 KB, 20 views)