Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Looking for info on routes to India ~1900-1915
View Single Post
Old 11th September 2019, 04:20

Looking for info on routes to India ~1900-1915

I'm trying to fill in gaps on my family tree. I would love to know what the common routes were that led passengers to India in the time period between 1899-1914 or so. Aside from one journey, I have no idea what country they would have been departing from as I have many gaps in my timeline, so any help filling in these routes would be invaluable leads. The related question, I suppose, is if passenger manifests from any of these ports still exist anywhere. I have tried reaching out to the State Archives in India for a number of requests with no responses, so arrivals and departures from non-Indian ports appear to be my only hope.

A few of the backstory details:

I know I had relatives from the Austro-Hungarian Empire who were in New York City in 1897, but by 1898/9 they were in India. By 1900, at least one was back in NYC, I'm unsure of how or where they traveled, as I *might* have a return trip for the other to NYC in 1899 from England, however I know she was back in India in 1902 and was still there around 1904, 1906, 1909, 1911 and 1913/4. However, I have passenger manifests from England showing her leaving there and traveling to Bombay in 1913, and in 1914 I have a manifest for her leaving England and traveling to NYC.

Since I can't find passenger manifests for more than one trip for them in the UK, and they were clearly bouncing around at least somewhat, I'm hoping that if I can identify the common passenger shipping routes that eventually led to India, (from anywhere, since aside from the one trip, I have no idea where they departed from!) that I might be able to find them... maybe.

TIA!