Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Bankline in the 50's....
View Single Post
Old 17th March 2012, 20:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Looks like that class, but the radar mast abaft the bridge is missing... Not sure when it was fitted, but we had it in 1960 even if the radar did play up most of the time!
I did my first trip on the "Southbank" signing on 15.5.53
and she definitely had a radar then which worked spasmodically and was only switched on by Capt Smith alone. The VDU was mounted facing aft, the only time I have seen one so fitted. Smith gave the poor Sparks a hard time and it was not easy effecting repairs as most of the Radar gubbins was fitted into a cupboard in the alloway on the Master's deck.

Great picture of Hoogly Calcutta - I remember it so well tied up to those buoys and the standbys for the bore tides. I never felt well in that place and was taken ashore very ill with dysentry for ten days in luxury - a private ward in a big hospital off the Maidan. I was visited by Capt. Gale after a couple of days who gave me a severe bollocking for not writing home. He would not listen to my excuse as i had no pen,paper or stamps. I then got a "bearer"who was a wizened old man who slept on an old rag in the corner of the ward. This fellow was a sort of topas I suppose. I soon learnt that it was my duty to pay this fellow for doing my dobey etc. and on App,s wages I was not too happy. However Dr Gangooly visited and took care of my expenses.
Then the Mate, Tom Orford, sent for me and instead of TLC I was on the dreaded night shift and struggling with the dreaded clusters etc.

\thanks for the memory Alan = pure nostalgia.
JC