Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Bankline in the 50's....
View Single Post
Old 18th March 2012, 08:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Hooghly capers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
I did my first trip on the "Southbank" signing on 15.5.53
and she definitely had a radar then which worked spasmodically and was only switched on by Capt Smith alone. The VDU was mounted facing aft, the only time I have seen one so fitted. Smith gave the poor Sparks a hard time and it was not easy effecting repairs as most of the Radar gubbins was fitted into a cupboard in the alloway on the Master's deck.

Great picture of Hoogly Calcutta - I remember it so well tied up to those buoys and the standbys for the bore tides. I never felt well in that place and was taken ashore very ill with dysentry for ten days in luxury - a private ward in a big hospital off the Maidan. I was visited by Capt. Gale after a couple of days who gave me a severe bollocking for not writing home. He would not listen to my excuse as i had no pen,paper or stamps. I then got a "bearer"who was a wizened old man who slept on an old rag in the corner of the ward. This fellow was a sort of topas I suppose. I soon learnt that it was my duty to pay this fellow for doing my dobey etc. and on App,s wages I was not too happy. However Dr Gangooly visited and took care of my expenses.
Then the Mate, Tom Orford, sent for me and instead of TLC I was on the dreaded night shift and struggling with the dreaded clusters etc.

\thanks for the memory Alan = pure nostalgia.
JC
Hi John,

You've got me going now, and all the memories of lying out in the Hooghly are flooding back! (Pun intended)

I had a surreal experience on the Inchanga in 1951 when detailed off for the night shift when lying out on the buoys. The ship was crawling with repair wallahs and a myriad of unknown bodies as usual. In the small hours of the morning, I went into our double cabin where my fellow Apprentice was sleeping, and I sat on a chair near the door for a few minutes break, and in the dark, I should add. I felt someone brushing silently past me, but could'nt be sure and dismissed it as imagination. Only in the morning, did my chum notice that his watch was missing from the table beside his bunk....

I was always fascinated by the skill of the boatmen in the river, crabbing their way across the river to the landing stage. Always fancied trying my luck at it! Would probably have ended up at Sand Heads!!

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 18th March 2012 at 08:31..