Ships Nostalgia banner

Stag Line

46K views 100 replies 41 participants last post by  John Hewett 
#1 ·
Looking for pictures from 1960 onwards

Gdynia

#29 · (Edited)
Hi I served on the Photinia for several years in the 60's as R/O including the cable laying runs to New Zealand and Trindad. I have a photo of the Photinia, and I think amongst my photos I have a photo of the Camellia in ice on the St Lawrence. I' ll try and find them when I get a chance. Sailed with Capt Freeman chief officer John Barker. Hugh Shotton served there for a while as well.
Ken

#37 ·
I joined Stag Line as cadet in 1972 and my first ship was Gloxinia which I joined in Aviles to carry a cargo of fluorspar to Montreal and grain back from Great lakes to Glasgow. Joined with Willie Humble (Chief Steward). Captain was William Hunter and mate was Eddie Lamb. Was on Photinia as extra Second Mate in 1977 when the vessel repaired one of the Cook Strait power cables (Master was Hughie Selkirk, mate - Eddie Lamb, Second Mate - Brian Hildred, 3rd Mate Stevie Andrucci, Chief Engineer - Ray Edmonds).

Found out recently that Hughie Selkirk had died a couple of years ago.

Have lost touch with all ex Stag Line people.

#38 ·
Hi John,

I did one short trip with you on the Ixia, Chris Dobson was the other Cadet. We loaded grain in Baltimore for Pireaus/Thessaloniki. I paid off in Thessaloniki. Larry Hopper was the old man and Kenny Campbell the mate.
Sailed with most of the above. Willy Hunter many trips as 2nd mate on the Zinnia, Eddie Lamb on the Photinia and Glox, Ray Edmonds on the Photinia. Don't think I sailed with Brian but bumped into him in Baltimore once when I was 2nd mate on the Zinnia, he was there on the Glox I think. We had a memorable session in Billys bar then on board the Zinnia.
Chris Dobson now Master offshore for a Norwegian company. Used to see him occasionaly but he now lives in Portugal.
Good to hear from you.

Peter

#40 · (Edited)
Photina Picture

I just bought a picture of the "Photinia" from Ebay £2.00 +0.75p P&P. still others for sale inc. Cydonia.

Photinia was my 1st ship, only managed the year 1969 in the MN before I lost the sight in my eye. Punched in the eye outside of Danny's Bar, while J.E.

9 months later realised I was going blind in that eye, J.E. on the Silversea then, flown back from Tokyo, never at sea again.

My Dad, Ted Brown (Stephens Suttons) spent most of his working life at sea and this was my life ambition to follow him and join the MN.

Still turned out well met my wife in Eye Hospital, all a long time ago, memories and names.

Alan

#41 ·
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone remembers my Grandfather Captain James Shaw? I believe that he sailed on or captained the Cydonia, Gloxinia, Zinnia and Ixia. I'm trying to find out some more information for my family history and put together some pictures of the ships for my fathers birthday as he has fond memories from when he was very young.
I would be thrilled and very greatful if anyone can help.
Caroline

#43 ·
Caroline,

I only sailed with your father once, my second trip as cadet. On the Zinnia, New Orleans, Casablanca, Safi, Baltimore, Ghent then Tyne for Drydock. A highly respected and fine master. There should be some photos of the ships if you search the Gallery.

Peter

#45 ·
Hello Caroline,
I sailed with your grandfather a good few times as deck apprentice on the Gloxinia,including my first trip.He was always a stickler for Sunday morning inspections and would not accept anything but the best.I fell foul of him a couple of times over inspection.He was a fair man and always listened to any grievence a crewman may have had.Because He was from Hartlepool and I was from Billingham,we sometimes went on leave on the same train.He was always polite when speaking to me informaly on the train without to much familiarity

#50 ·
Hi Kudu,

Thank you for sharing your memories with me, they are so lovely to hear. I believe he was a very fair man, I'm just pleased that I wasn't around for his Sunday morning inspections!
I will be putting your memories along with the pictures that I have found of the ships together to give to my father for his birthday. My Dad never saw his father much when he was growing up, so I am sure that these memories will be treasured and greatly received.
Thank you again,
Best wishes,

Caroline

#51 ·
Hi,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. How poignant that you were there on his last trip and flew home with him. I wonder if he was very sad, or whether he was pleased to be finally retiring?
I am so sorry that I never got the opportunity to ask my Grandfather about his career with Stag Line, I am sure that he would have had so many stories to tell me. My Dad and Uncle have told me about my Grandfather as their 'Dad', but it is lovely to be able to complete the picture, by getting to know my Grandfather 'The Captain'.
Best wishes,

Caroline

#55 ·
Hello all, I saw the Cydonia (was name the JOY back then) going up the Mississippi River to New ORleans back in december 76. Thought was the coolest ship of all. I lived near the river and spent many hours watching ships. Sad to say though that next August (1977) I saw her in the news. She had an engine room fire and sank in the Gulf of Mexico. A bit of research lead me to the Cydonia. I am now making a model of her.

#57 ·
A sincere thank you

My name is Harry Shaw, my father was Captain James Shaw. A short while ago my daughter Caroline contacted this forum requesting information on my fathet so that she could put together a birthday present for me. Gydinia,Stuart Bruce, Bill Keogh,Kudo, Bigmo and Peter were kind enough to contrubute some reminiscences and even photographs. From the bottom of my heart, I wish to thank you all for helping her to put together a present I will treasure for the rest of my life. Some golden memories were brought back of a few precious days when I was a boy and was sometimes able to spend them with my dad onboard his ships in this country.
I will finish there, for any attempt at the moment, to adequately express my gratitude, or describe the wonderfull memories I have would fall awfully short of the mark.
Thank you all once again
Harry Shaw

#61 · (Edited)
This is one for Gdynia who I believe sailed with him ,my friend was speaking to his younger son and his daughter whose husband also sailed with the Stag Line but he does not know her married name and he sent this picture to me .The last Stag boat I remember seeing was running construction materials to Sullom Voe cannot remember her name
The person is Capt Reekie who sadly passed away in 2001 or 2002 he was a well known person in his home area of the EAST NEUK

Attachments

#62 ·

What a fantastic photograph, posts like this are what ships nostalgia should be all about. I sailed with Capt Reekie at the end of his sea going life. To see him as a young man is very moving. He was part of a sea going generation who experienced things us younger seafarers could never imagine.

Peter

#66 ·
Hi

My name is Martin Davies

I have just joined the site so go easy on me please folks.

I joined Stag Line as a Deck Cadet in 1978 sailing on the Begonia's maiden voyage.

I sailed only on the Begonia and Zinnia during my cadetship before qualifying for my 2nd Mates ticket in 1982. I did a short spell for Hunting overseeing the final phase of the building of MV Torseggan (Probably spelt wrong) on the Tyne before being made redundant.

Have many photos on slides but could maybe convert if anyone would like any.

I would love to hear from any of my old friends Jimmy Ferry, Gary Lacey, Simon Purchon, Steve etc etc.

Cheers
Martin

#67 ·
My name is Martin Davies

I have just joined the site so go easy on me please folks.

I joined Stag Line as a Deck Cadet in 1978 sailing on the Begonia's maiden voyage.

I sailed only on the Begonia and Zinnia during my cadetship before qualifying for my 2nd Mates ticket in 1982. I did a short spell for Hunting overseeing the final phase of the building of MV Torseggan (Probably spelt wrong) on the Tyne before being made redundant.

Have many photos on slides but could maybe convert if anyone would like any.

I would love to hear from any of my old friends Jimmy Ferry, Gary Lacey, Simon Purchon, Steve etc etc.

Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin,

Welcome to a new Staggie on board. Convert, scan and post please the more the better, especially members faces. I have a rather gruesome photo somewhere of Jimmy Ferry crossing the line,I will try and dig it out and post it. I had my wife with me for the first time that trip. Emden to Salvador then Santos where we spent over a month loading. Jimmy was senior cadet and Willy Hunter stopped his tap for being a bad lad. He went to see the old man and offered to do my 12 to 4 new years eve so I could join the party with my wife.
Liked Jimmy a lot.

Peter

#68 ·
First Pictures

Some of my memories now are a little clouded after 30 years so please correct me if I get anything wrong. I think the 3rd Mate pictured is Jimmy Ferry but I'm honestly not sure. I remember spending many watches and drinking sessions with him but strangely not exactly what he looked like. The other pictures here are the Zinnia approaching Detroit and one of me on a trip ashore in Tunisia and the other cadets Robbie (Levey?) Simon Purchon, Steve and Adam (Cant remember surnames).

More to follow.....

Attachments

#70 ·
Some of my memories now are a little clouded after 30 years so please correct me if I get anything wrong. I think the 3rd Mate pictured is Jimmy Ferry but I'm honestly not sure. I remember spending many watches and drinking sessions with him but strangely not exactly what he looked like. The other pictures here are the Zinnia approaching Detroit and one of me on a trip ashore in Tunisia and the other cadets Robbie (Levey?) Simon Purchon, Steve and Adam (Cant remember surnames).

More to follow.....

That's Jimmy.

Peter

#69 ·
Map of 2nd Trip on Zinnia

I kept a map of my 2nd trip aboard the Zinnia in 1979. Dont know if this sort of thing is of any interest to anyone?

My memories of that trip include buying loads of Egyptian junk in Bur Said and then lobbing it overboard in the Red Sea at the other end of the Suez. Me and my mates joked that the little boats at the southern end of the Suez were fishing it back out for resale.

We spent 34 Days in Karachi in blistering heat while the cargo of coke was removed in whicker baskets.

The Zinnia also had a mishap in the river Plate when a ship in front went aground on a sandbank and our skipper dropped the anchor whilst we were still moving in an attempt to stop us going aground as well or worse still, hitting the other ship. The capstan kind of exploded and we had to have repairs.

Cheers. Martin.

Attachments

#99 ·
Map of 2nd Trip on Zinnia

I kept a map of my 2nd trip aboard the Zinnia in 1979. Dont know if this sort of thing is of any interest to anyone?

My memories of that trip include buying loads of Egyptian junk in Bur Said and then lobbing it overboard in the Red Sea at the other end of the Suez. Me and my mates joked that the little boats at the southern end of the Suez were fishing it back out for resale.

We spent 34 Days in Karachi in blistering heat while the cargo of coke was removed in whicker baskets.

The Zinnia also had a mishap in the river Plate when a ship in front went aground on a sandbank and our skipper dropped the anchor whilst we were still moving in an attempt to stop us going aground as well or worse still, hitting the other ship. The capstan kind of exploded and we had to have repairs.

Cheers. Martin.
I was Second Mate on the Zinnia in Karachi. I was due to pay off and my relief had already arrived. It took me 2 weeks to get a flight home. The master was Brian Rowlings who passed away last year.

#72 ·
stag line pics etc

Hello folks,
I was just mucking about looking fora few pics of my dad's old ships.
Unfortunately he is old and has severe Alzheimers, but drifts in with memories of his sea life. It is very sad the way he is but mothing you can do about it, and i still remember spending a lot of time on the ships when i was growing up, with trips accompanied by my mam, and later my brother.

I will hold my breath now as my dad worked for Stag Line and was a skipper called Laurie Hopper.

Unfortunately i had no desire to follow in his footsteps but still have fond memories f all the fantastic people that i met, and looked after me whilst on board when i was growing up.

Regards,

Ian.

#73 ·
Laurie Hopper

Hello Ian I am very sorry to hear your Dad has got alzheimers. When I was apprentice I sailed with your Dad on the old Begonia he was Mate. I was on the Camellia with him when he did his first voyage as Captain. 13th Feb 1959 to 28th March 1959 we went from Hull to Philadelphia loaded grain back to London and then the Tyne for drydocking. I did another voyage with him 10th October 1960 to 20th November 1960 From Manchester to Baie Comeau loaded grain back to London, Hull, and Tyne for draydocking. When he did his first voyage as Captain he was 29 years of age all the Mates were under 30 and all ex Stag Line Apprentices. The last time I saw your Dad and Mam was at the Seamans Club dance in South Shields it was about 1999. Your Dad treated his crews with respect you should be proud of him. I met your Mam a few times a lovely Lady. Regards Bill