Ships Nostalgia banner

Fleetwood Nautical College

62K views 146 replies 43 participants last post by  RonSew 
#1 ·
Any Takers????????????????????? :)

#101 ·
Wow what memories from the 1960 s..remember hughie mcgurk..captain carruthers.. but who was the teacher who taught us morse code? Always had a glass of milk on his desk...he spent hours with us sending..best bent wire trees...passed my 2nd class and radar andcwent to work for marconi marine...sailing with souters, city line, ben line..everrards and was sparky when the hans knuppell hit the hamilton trader at Liverpool bar, also kuwait shipping co. Was in digs at mrs baxters st peters place fleetwood. All the best

#103 ·
Good to know it's being put to good use, especially for the benefit of the college, I drove past the old school in Station Rd a couple of years ago, it was in a sorry state, I was there in 1957, many happy memories, when Cpt McFarlane was principal & Cpt Caruthers was teaching seamanship.

#104 ·
hi all
Did my Masters from Nov 1977 to April 1977.
Exams in Liverpool May 1977, Now semi-retired
in Singapore running my own Agency firm
Regional Shipping Services Pte Ltd,
Those of you in or visiting Singapore
please drop in I shall be most happy to buy
you a cuppa coffee.
Cheers, Sylvester Heng

we

#106 ·
I have just been informed of the passing of a "Fleetwood old boy" called Mike Thomason who was at the Fleetwood Nautical College, and the Red Duster is flying at half mast today.

I know and have known some Fleetwood Thomason's in my youth, but would like to know more.

If anyone does have information could they please let me know. Thank you.

Neil.

#109 ·
Knew Lindsay & Eugene

Sparkie2182

I had kept in touch with Lindsay over the last 10 years or so - xmas cards/letters. Spoke with her a few times, she was living in Michigan, US with her husband and children. Didn't get a card this last year, I know they were/had moved house so maybe the reason.

I was at FNC 1972-75 on the MRRT course. Eugene was in the same digs as me on The Mount. He lived over Bacup way, I was from Burnley and he was a massive Burnley fan.

Went to sea with Houlder Brothers from 1975 to 1981 as they sponsored me in my last year at FNC.

I'm now back on the airwaves this last 12 months as I've got my full Amateur Radio licence, callsign M0JOC. I've even learnt how to use a twin paddle key and I used a straight key immediately. I'm a member of Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society, lots of ex Marconi factory people in the club. The chairman was with Marconi Marine out in Cape Town.

John O'Connell

#121 ·
Sorry - I only just saw this thread. I sailed with Graham Hulse at P&O Ferries Portsmouth where he was ETO when he was funding an IT degree at Portsmouth University. He’d been an RO with P&O / Princess Cruises before that. Later I worked with him in Oman when we were both shore based with the Royal Yacht Squadron there. Whilst there I went to his wedding at the British Embassy in Muscat. Latterly he was an ETO Superintendent at MOL tankers based in London so we’d meet up most weeks for a pint. Sadly Graham died aged only 59 a few years ago. He was a true gent and always the best company.

#116 ·
Funniest times at the Dorchester. Hearing Wiggys bunk bed collapse with his usual habit of running in and diving onto the bed ( the lads had fine tuned all the bolts). Black shoe polish on the toilet door handles in the morning when everyone was bustin for the loo. Watching the local skinheads fighting their way in thru the Dorchester's front door and Yank, Grebo and brickhead and co fighting them all back out again( over the local women). Watching Eric Elliot dripping wet having been thrown in the boat lake after passing his ticket and Mrs Mack asking him where he'd been....in the lake....with your clothes on....stupid boy...we we couldn't breathe with laughing, and brickhead jumping off the bus early and rolling down the street head first. Happy days

#143 ·
steve Hallam, Andy Thompson, licker Smith, critchley, Pete Graham, Eddie Balderchino...Eddie it's yer mamma was the cry...she used to ring every night. Where is Maurice anyway John....jailed maybe?. I look straight out of my scottish static holiday caravan at the isle of man many a night and imagine Graham stoned in a retired smokey haze.
hi Ron hope you see this. About 6 weeks ago I received a call from John Strickland after 50 years! They are sailing from Portsmouth to Scotland for a summer cruise and we met in Douglas Isle of Man last night. Had a great catch -up in the TT vibe. Hope to meet Tony Raiǹe when he visits from the USA later this year and we are returning home from France in our motorhome.
Just for the record, I gave up the **** about 17 years 5months 12days 3hours and 20 minutes ago!
Cheers Graham Allison.

#123 ·
Hi again,
Just noticed RonSew mention Eddie Balderchino. Eddie and I we good friends but we lost touch during the first gulf war. He went into gulf and never came back!!! Spoke just before he went in but he never got back to me. Anyone know his fate?? All these names from the past. Good to see them.

#124 ·
I left FNC 1971 and joined BP, with them for 18 years. FYI I believe Don Bee, Abbo and Richard Rhimes have now Crossed the Bar. The RFA morse teacher was Bob Abrams if my memory serves me right. Have not seen Ray Pilgrim or Steve Musgrave for a couple of years. Still only live a mile from the college and been on a couple of visits since leaving, some big changes since I was there.

#127 ·
Memory lane

Just noticed ian your post on steve lamb, can't believe that. I let him share my bedsit with me opposite the Jolly Roger for a while when we were doing the radar. Used to teach him stuff and blow me if he didn't go and pass that time around. He didn't do the radar as he felt he'd taken that long passing he needed to earn some money so he was off to sea in a flash. He'd earned it. I was lucky enough to retire at 55. Left in 84 after 10years of it and did 26 years with group4 and ADT technical division on electronic security(easystreet compared to an MRGC).....I'm just coming up for official retirement now in February ....paperwork's just arrived this week.....time flys. Lived in Penrith since 80's as it was where mam and dad were from but they're all gone now so having holidayed for 25 years along that Galloway coast bought a big static caravan there in April this year at WestBarr just above Port William near Stranraer ( it's on Facebook and net) mostly for the Bass fishing which is bliss but it's the land that time forgot so we love it. Intend to try and do 50/50 between there and Penrith as it's onl 2hours from here. Other than that both my lads are 30+ and grandsons 10 now. Joined 2 gun clubs 10years ago so have done a lot of rifle shooting and even taught firearms handling for 3 years. Getting ready to spend Xmas at the van and luckily still well mobile and healthy. Pete Graham lives near me but haven't bumped into him in sainsbury recently cos he usually has some info on spendlove and co as he was part of that crowd. Met that Linda who was doing the sparks course at her house near Kendal a few years back, she married a mate and went to sea that way then they had a static caravan business on the A6 near shap for a few years.....dunno what they're doing now. I see John quines on here, he's been in touch last couple of days and is usually good for info. Graham Allison was working for I.o.m harbour board and u can see Graham Basnett on Facebook, he doesn't look much different unlike the rest of us?. Do keep in touch and I'll post u anybits of info I pick up in future.....all the best mate...Ron

#128 ·
Hi Ian
I’ve just joined SN. I met Ronnie this afternoon and told me there were some of the old FNC gang on here. It’s good to see you are alive and kicking.
Little did we know back then what a great future we were being given.
You mentioned Eddie going to the gulf. He was in digs with us on London Street. Did he go out there with the Merch or some other outfit?

Pete Graham

#129 ·
Hay Pete
We pm’d about Eddie but it just occurred to me that you must live close to Ronnie if u met up. Then I re read Ron’s post and saw that u do. North lakes is nice. Maybe if I’m coming past in the van we could all meet in a pub for lunch somewhere. I’m tied to school hols mostly but often get a long weekend off so I’ll pm you both if I’m heading past and maybe I’ll do an overnighter in a local camp site.
You and Ron keep safe and regards to anyone else reading this who may remember us.
��

#131 ·
I just randomly visited this thread to see if there was any deck officers I knew on it. Then I noticed a couple of posts mentioning Lamby. Lamby became a good friend on SN as we were both Man Utd fans. There are a lot of posts by Lamby on the Football Focus thread going back. It was very sad when he passed and although we never actually met I had the greatest possible respect for the lad for the brave and dignified way he dealt with his illness and treatment. He never moaned and continuously praised his carers and nurses. One of the good guys. I hope this is helpful?

#134 · (Edited)
"Ray Faragher"

Bob Faragher.....Niggle.
Still active in the Barrow submariners association.
Mostly all remembered......Bernie and Bob H.......I'm a bit confused by the two Barlow's......sorry one has crossed the bar.
A glance at the modern FNC website confirms my intention never to revisit......it's totally different now.
I did all my training there and returned a lecturer many years later.....I want to remember her as she was.

"The Mount" was indeed our watering hole of choice......."Boddies Bitter".......I wouldnt mind revisiting there.

:)

Happy days

All the best.

#135 ·
Hi Sparkie2182.

Certainly agree college very different now pass it often going into Fleetwood from my home in Preston. Dave Barlow 1 was in same group as me with main lecturer being Dave Larter along with Bernie P and Bob F, Dave Barlow 2 was in different group that was doing higher level City and Guilds in parallel with MRGC. I remembered later after posting that one member of our group was called Frankie Emerson-Smith, forgot his full name. Ronnie Draper is still around Cleceleys area. I don't know if he went to sea but now runs an electrical business. Dave Barlow 1 went to sea but eventually ended up at GCHQ. As for remainder I don't have any info. I went to see with ITT Marine and spent most of my time on Blue Star and ACT vessels but also had a few other outings including Esso, Bank Line Albright and Wilson. Good to hear Bob F is still alive and kicking, both he and Bernie being older and wiser than the rest of us were a mature influence on the group, happy days.

#136 ·
" older and wiser than the rest of us were a mature influence"

Said with "tongue in cheek" I think?????

:)

Many thanks for the update, Niggle.
Dave Barlow1 I remember......I wonder what happened to Rose and the others.
Every time I was in Singapore I wondered if she was just " around the corner"

Best regards.

#138 ·
Hi Quiney,

Yes I was with IMRC August 76 till July 87 finally paying off on Monas Queen at Fleetwood. I used to see Steve Musgrave at Blackpool and Flyde college at Bispham quite often in 1990's when I was working for Canon UK as we had quite a lot of kit in the college including FNC so visited there as well.

On a slightly different slant whilst I was doing my radar ticket they were starting to build the accomodation block that faces the roundabout and every time they were using the pile drivers we had to time practical work with meter probes in the radar guts as whole building shuddered. I was told that the open end of the original U shaped building has the concrete link to keep the building together and the whole college was built on one large concrete raft as very sandy/poor ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.