Ships Nostalgia banner

Fleetwood Nautical College

62K views 146 replies 43 participants last post by  RonSew 
#1 ·
Any Takers????????????????????? :)

#71 ·
2nd Reunion & 120th Anniversary Celebrations!

Yes! Johnny("Felix")

For those who don't already know that is the website set-up by the Association (FNCPS&SA) which is independent of the College and via which you can make ticket bookings for the 2nd Reunion & 120th Anniversary Celebrations 22/09/2012 which can be as little as the 1 day or a full weekend. Full info ion the site.

James Henry Clarke
FNC 1967-69

#72 ·
FNC 2nd Reunion & 120th Anniversary Celebrations

Hi Gordon

As already said the College (now renamed a Fleetwood Nautical Campus of Blackpool & Fylde College) is very much there and much as you would remember from your time studying at FNC.

In fact Radio is still taught - of the satellite variety now - by Ted Hackett.

Through the sterling efforts of the then staff the College, after forcible amalgamation with Blackpool, was very successful in surviving the great down-turn which saw most other Nautical Colleges closedown, and through innovation and lateral thinking made a successful future and is now the leading UK Off-Shore Survival training institute. You can hear more about this by attending the 2nd Reunion 22/09/2012 where things can be said that may not be written about the way the College was treated by the other Nautical Colleges and B&FC.

There are even plans to introduce a Marine Engineering Course for the first time - and if that isn't go-ahead I don't know what is.

See: www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk for recent photos of the College (undergoing expansion), the Inaugural Reunion (11/09/10), photos of students and staff from the past (we want your's also) and all about the planned 2012 Celebrations of the 120th Anniversary of the establishment of Fleetwood Navigation School as well as the 2nd Reunion on the weekend of 22 September 2012.

James Henry Clarke
Radio Student 1967-69
Voluntary Organiser FNCPS&SA
(Independent of the College)

#68 ·
Hi Everyone,
yep the college is still there training deck cadets.
They also do offshore survival courses for the oil industry.
I was in the same class as Glyn Lewis 1968 to 1971 (Hi Glyn!) along with Nick Hibbell, Chris Wadsworth and Steve Ashcroft to name a few.
I am still working at sea as an electronic tech on a semi submersible construction barge engaged in oil platform construction. Currently anchored off Batam Islan waiting for a boat to get off for some leave back in the UK.

Best wishes
Geoff Burras

#77 ·
Sorry I've absent for too long - just had a lot to deal with this past year or so.

Anyway, catching up on things - slowly, I was interested to read about the visit of Princess Ann to the college.

So here's a Youtube video of the visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3oM9g3jMM

Now I need to check out what else has been happening on board whilst I've been away........

#78 ·
Hi My name is David Paterson..I was one of the first R/Os on the M.O.T. Radar courses at Fleetwood Nautical College back in the 1960,s and my uncle Fred...( Fred Dearden) was the first instructor at the old place in Blackison Street..and later at the new college at Broadwater.Many of you might remember him?. The lecturer on the Radar course was Pete Yarwood..He was very good and knew his stuff..The only thing that annoyed him was The Principle Captain Caruthers who would like to show off the impressive Radar Room, We would get visitors several times a day..Pete pointed out to him that time taken up with the disruptions would have to be made up as the exams were in early January -and right enough we had to come in during the xmas break ...Sadly the exellant catering facilities were shut down and we brewed up over a bunson burner in the lab,s..and lunch was via the chippy at Broadwater...SAdly the college has become an annex for Blackpool and Fylde College..A sign of the times..No fishing fleet and The decline of the british merchant navy ...-.- Dave

#85 ·
Advance Notice of Fleetwood Nautical College/Fleetwood Navigation School 3rd Reunion 13 September 2014

As the first two Reunions were successful and many have requested another (3rd) event the next Reunion is scheduled for Saturday 13th September 2014 (Yes! next year). Because it takes the best part of a year to try to get the info out to as many past students and staff as possible it is necessary to start the planning (this actually started on the morning after the 2012 event with the booking of the North Euston Hotel's Ballroom & lining-up the College) more than a year in advance. Similarly, in order to make appropriate arrangements it is very helpful (and eases my nerves) if as many people as possible commit to reserve tickets as soon as possible.

The other way for you to help (even if you can't or don't wish to attend) is to pass-on the website address and/or the details of the event to anyone whom you know is eligible to join the Association (FNC Past Students' & Staff Association) because they either studied or worked (or still work) at the College.

www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk

One thing I can promise you is a very interesting and entertaining College tour with the Simulated Helicopter Crash at Sea, the Bridge Simulator and the new Engine Room Simulator just amazing - and so realistic. You would pay a lot of money to be entertained by such systems if you wished to do so.

In 2012 we did have a good mix of Navs and Radio in attendance and it is amazing to discover how far-flung and "how high up the tree" some of our colleagues who attended managed to reach.

In the past, on space grounds, we had to restrict attendance to Members and their spouses/partners. However, with the increased capacity of the North Euston Hotel's Grand Ballroom it will be possible to invite the families of Members along as well. I plan to have my two (now adult) children there - so they can see what Daddy did for his first career.

James Henry Clarke
Radio & Radar Graduate 1969

#86 ·
How many remember the old Navigation School and BoT Building in Station Road, Fleetwood before the new Nautical College was built at Broadwater?

Sad times for that building now.

I do believe there are plans to preserve the building and to restore it to its former glory.

Attachments

#88 ·
I do believe there are plans to preserve the building and to restore it to its former glory.
Not if the idiots at wyre borough council have their way.

some guy bought it years ago with intentions of turning them into nice flats for the elderly.............. turned him down and it's stood derelict since ..parts are already burnt out.........wonder it's not gone up in flames already as the poor chap who bought it is saddled with it.

#87 ·
Remember it well Johnny, I was there in 1957 for 12 months doing pre sea training, I used to get off the train at Wyre Dock station on a Monday morning and get into Station Rd for 0915hrs, I lived in Southport in those days and spent the week in digs at the Wave Crest B&B on the prom before going home on a Fri.
At Fleetwood Navigation School at the time was Cpt McFarlane as principal, Cpt Carruthers was doing seamanship and Cpt Trickett was doing ship construction and signals, we cadets, three of us at the time, also had one day a week at the grammar school for maths & physics. the school was mainly geared up for those sitting fishing tickets at that time, so the introduction of pre-sea cadets was quite a new concept. Happy days, many a sneaky pint with the fishing lads in the North Euston!

#89 ·
The Wave Crest (close to the pier - before it burnt down a few years ago) was also used by Cadets when I was at FNC. They likened it to a Stalag!

The Grammar School also burnt down many years ago.

The Mount served a better pint than the Euston from my recollections.

I wasn't aware of the initial request for the building to be turned into flats.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'll keep checking the Fleetwood Weekly News on the web.

#94 ·
Having just returned to Fleetwood College last week for the 1 day offshore survival refresher I thought i'd pop-up to the top floor and see what Radio facilities were left. Whilst up there I met a part-time lecturer who sadly told me Ted Hackett had died recently. He seemingly lost his battle with cancer. I'd just like to say what a really decent bloke he was. Always a smile on his face each & every day & nothing seem to faze him.

Lamby

#95 · (Edited)
Having just returned to Fleetwood College ......Whilst up there I met a part-time lecturer who sadly told me Ted Hackett had died recently. He seemingly lost his battle with cancer. I'd just like to say what a really decent bloke he was. Always a smile on his face each & every day & nothing seem to faze him.

Lamby
Although I only got to know Ted when I was organising the 1st and to a lesser extent (because he was undergoing treatment) the 2nd Fleetwood Nautical College Reunions in 2010 & 2012 respectively, I can agree wholeheartedly with Steve's comments. Ted was the type of guy you want around when others have left you in the lurch; he just goes and sorts out what needs doing -- and does it himself. Sadly, no more -- except up there in Radio Heaven Ted will be explaining the workings of Ionospheric Propagation to an attentive audience of "Navs. His widow Barbara has lost a very dear husband and friend indeed. May you rest in peace Ted.

See the Association's (FNCS&SA) website for many photos that feature Ted: www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk.

On the subject of Reunions: the 3rd FNC Reunion is on 13/09/14 from 12pm - 12am. Tickets still available but need to be booked soon - for which a Coupon is on the website.

See also our new Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/FleetwoodNauticalCollegeAssociation for photos from the 2010 & 2012 Reunions.

James Henry Clarke
Voluntary Organiser
Fleetwood Nautical College Students' & Staff Association
e: fleetwoodnc@gmail.com

#97 ·
I did my Radar Maintenance Ticket at Fleetwood in early 1967, Ray Pilgrim taught the course, Steve Musgrave was on the course as he had only just passed his PMG and was still a student then.

A few years later when working for Decca Radar in Fleetwood I returned to install a Decca Transar in the classroom, Ray was still the instructor.

#118 ·
Looks like this thread has died but i want to add my name to this list for the hell of it. i attended 71 to 74 and had a great time. best regards to anyone who reads this.
Ian Partington(Thumb)
ian last I heard of u someone said u were working at prestwick or something on the aviation side.....all the lads still remember u as a morse key legend....is it a machine or is it human?.....had u a few times on the BP net then lost touch. Rgds Ron

#122 ·
Well. Haven’t had a look here for a while. I would like to echo the sentiments made to the staff. Especially hughie mcgurk. (Spelling ??). Anyway, without him I would not have passed. A star.
For Ron, mr Sewell it’s really good to hear your still kicking. Hope all is well with your family.
Yes, I ended up in air traffic control. 4 years with BP then 4 with Silver Line. Then, After a few years on the oil rigs out of Aberdeen. Moved to Ayrshire and joined NATS as a systems engineer. Retired on May Day 2016. Thought that was just magic ?
Had a great time with NATS as a shift working Engineer providing all the comms and radars etc to the controllers. Letting me retire at 60 was just the job too. I was on shift during all the big events like Lockerbie and the twin towers. ?. Maybe I’m the problem ?.
Just looking after grand children and parents now. Still I get gold 3 days a week.
Regards to everyone who passed through Fleetwood and can remember the good times. Also hi to anyone who may have done the MED at Southampton. That was hard......

#100 ·
My daughter has just finished her first term at FNC, and the new term begins January 4th, but until then there are only security on campus.

She has told me she will ask around amongst staff about it when she returns if you wish.

Funny Steve Musgrave's name has popped up for the second time this week......he bought my house off me in 1988 in Fleetwood...........wish he hadn't......worst move I ever made selling that little gaff, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.