Ships Nostalgia banner

Using the search function

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Stephen J. Card 
#1 ·
Apologies if this isn't the right section but ...

Is there a method of searching for TWO keywords where BOTH are needed.

Specifically "Dominion" AND "Monarch" - the QVMS ship.

The search box here accepts two words but gives answers of either word as well as both.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Dominion Monarch was prewar built vessel. Can you date the engine that you have? DM was taken out of service in 1962. She was used as a floating hotel in Seattle then went to Osaka for scrapping. Question is, how did the engine get 'left behind' in UK when the vessel went to the far east?

That engine looks a touch too big for a lifeboat. Might well have been but it just seems bigger that what have seen. I think the DM had two motor launches. Possibly it came from there. Again, how did that engine get left in the UK?

Another question. Is there any possibility that it came from another Shaw Savill ship. I do know that the NORTHERN STAR was sold and sent for scrapping in 1972. Just a few months she went for scrapping they needed a replacement 'motor launch'. The two launches, brand new launch was put on the ship. Two months later the ship was sold for scrappers and before she went to the far east, the launch was taken off the ship and someone in the company took possession of the launch. Now, this is just a story that I was sold in 1977. Some of the cadets who were on the STAR for that last voyage were with me the ICENIC. Might be true. So, is there any possibility this engine is in you tug? My other comment, the engine seems a bit too large from a lifeboat.

Stephen

#8 ·
Gleniffer….

OK... ignore my earlier post. I should have checked elsewhere.

I have a copy of THE MOTOR SHIP, MARCH 1939. Special issue of qsmv DOMINION MONARCH. Page: 470

Quote:

"The vessel has two 30ft motor lifeboats. 24hp Gleniffer Diesel engine carrying 40 persons....."

Looks like it is yours and possibly the engine in the launch is for towing lifeboats because of all other boats on board as rowing boats.

How did the engine end up... I have no idea, but looks like it yours.

Stephen

#9 ·
Hi Stephen, we were berthed in Wellington when the DM sailed out for the last time ( probably around 1960 ) her 'Paying Off Pennant ' was about a third of the length of the ship. I believe the length of the Pennant has something to do with the length of her service ??

Cheers
Ewen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.