Ships Nostalgia banner

Ellerman Footage from the early 1960's

11K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  saudisid 
#1 ·
My father George Herbert Salter was a master for the line from the 70's - 80's but he worked for them from the late 40's. He took a lot of super 8 films on his travels and I have just had these transfered digitally and am uploading them to you tube slowly here is an example of one. Check back on you tube for more as I add them.

#9 · (Edited)
I have just posted City of Agra footage to you tube - link below - please comment if you recognise where she is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVwum7VHe4w&t=72s

Kind Regards
Looks like some of this was taken in Colombo. The tug fits with there also the ships at the Buoys plus the light on the breakwater. Other parts could be the entance to Cochin with what could be Aspinwalls the Agents offices
Rgds

Alan Suddaby

#16 ·
My father George Herbert Salter was a master for the line from the 70's - 80's but he worked for them from the late 40's. He took a lot of super 8 films on his travels and I have just had these transfered digitally and am uploading them to you tube slowly here is an example of one. Check back on you tube for more as I add them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBakoN5WXGo&t=24s
I was Ellerman City Lines 1974/78 as an Electrical Officer
Hope we can exchange more soon

#20 ·
Thank-you

Thank you for your posts. I found some more footage in the loft which I have sent off to get transferred. I have had to send the external hard drive so I cant post any new for a bit. Should get it back in about 10 days so will be able to upload more then. I have two big reels on the South Africa run in the early 70's when my mum joined the ship as well, I will get these done in a couple of months.

Best Wishes

#28 ·
Thanks for posting these wonderful films of the 'City of Agra'. I sailed with Ellermans 1962 - 67 and what a surprise to see the 'City of Bedford' clip. My first 'foreign going' as 3/O. Brought back great memories - never thought I see such film. The 'City of Agra' series also brought many memories of Hong Kong, India,Aden, Suez etc as they were in the 60s and how fortunate and privileged we were to visit places at that time. Now they are all totally unrecognisable and common destinations for holidays and cruises - we'd never have dreamt it possible in those days.
Looking forward to more, keep them coming and again, thank you for taking the time to post.

Searock62

#29 ·
Very interesting films ,bringing back many memories of my first trip as a deck cadet in 1975 on the "Dundee" to Pakistan ,India ,Sri Lanka and Bangladesh watching the unloading of grain film the cries of "Asti ,asti , avis " or however it is spelt spring immediately to mind . Thanks for posting these and looking forward to seeing more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.