Ships Nostalgia banner

P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo

13K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Scorpanicus 
#1 ·
P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo arriving Hamburg sept 9th 2005. Launched as Michelangelo Star 2005

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Her arrival co-incided with my "Grosse Hafenrundfahrt" last Friday in Hamburg. Managed by Blue Satr Gmbh, Blue Star Flags were flown from offices opposite.
On the last containerships I sailed on, 3,000 teu was a lot (Manchester Challenge), but 8,000+ is huge!

#6 ·
Soon to be renamed with a Maersk prefix name.
I sail on her sistership the PONL Manet and we are to become the Maersk Santana and withdraw from the grand alliance run from Europe to China.
They are huge ships at 8450teu capacity. Normal service speed is 24.5knots and she uses 245tonne/day.
The engine is the latest RTA-flex, no camshaft, all electronic.

Brian Dobbie

#7 ·
Welcome aboard Chief (Brian) you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity. Most of us left years ago, but our minds are still there, although we do have some members like yourself still afloat, look after your junior engineers. Chiefs in my time did not talk to juniors. Bon Voyage.

#8 ·
Ahoy,
Here a list from Maersk renaming:

PONL VALENTINA - NEDLLOYD VALENTINA
PONL JULIANA - NEDLLOYD JULIANA
COLOMBO BAY - MAERSK DELMONT
PONL GENOA - MAERSK PHUKET
PONL REGINA - MAERSK NOTTINGHAM
REPULSE BAY - MAERSK DALTON
PROVIDENCE BAY - MAERSK DAUPHIN
PONL JAKARTA - MAERSK PENANG
PONL KOWLOON - MAERSK KIMI
PONL LOS ANGELES - MAERSK VUNGTAU
PONL NINA - NEDLLOYD NINA
SINGAPORE BAY - MAERSK DARTFORD
PONL M****ILLE - MAERSK PATRAS
PONL TARANAKI - MAERSK TARANAKI
PONL DRAKE - NEDLLOYD DRAKE
PONL MERCATOR - NEDLLOYD MERCATOR
PONL MAXIMA - NEDLLOYD MAXIMA
ORIENTAL BAY - MAERSK MONTREAL
PONL ADELAIDE - NEDLLOYD ADELAIDE
PONL DUBAI - NEDLLOYD DUBAI
PONL MICHELANGELO - MAERSK SARNIA
PONL TESLIN - NEDLLOYD TESLIN
PONL AUCKLAND - MAERSK PALERMO
PONL ROTTERDAM - MAERSK KALMAR
PONL COOK - MAERSK KITHIRA
PONL MARITA - NEDLLOYD MARITA
PONL SYDNEY - MAERSK PEMBROKE
JERVIS BAY - MAERSK DAWSON
NEDLLOYD HONG KONG - MAERSK MIAMI
SHENZHEN BAY - MAERSK DELANO
PONL SHACKLETON - MAERSK KYRENIA
PONL SUSANA - MAERSK NOLANVILLE
NEWPORT BAY - MAERSK DARLINGTON
PONL MANET - MAERSK SANTANA
PONL TASMAN - NEDLLOYD TASMAN
PONL ADRIANA - NEDLLOYD ADRIANA
PONL HOUTMAN - MAERSK KAMPALA
PONL SOUTHAMPTON- MAERSK KIEL
PONL EVITA - NEDLLOYD EVITA
PENINSULAR BAY - MAERSK MADRID
PONL MONDRIAAN - MAERSK SANA
PONL HUDSON - NEDLLOYD HUDSON
PONL STUYVESANT - MAERSK KINGSTON
PONL KOBE - MAERSK KARACHI
PONL BRISBANE - MAERSK NARA
PONL COLOMBO - NEDLLOYD COLOMBO
PONL HOUSTON - NEDLLOYD HOUSTON
PONL DE LIEFDE - NEDLLOYD DE LIEFDE
MERCOSUL URUGUAY - MAERSK ERIMO
PONL BARENTSZ - NEDLLOYD BARENTSZ
PONL SAVANNAH - MAERSK NANHAI

Note:These names aren't confirmed yet, but you may count on that.

#9 ·
R58484956 said:
Welcome aboard Chief (Brian) you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity. Most of us left years ago, but our minds are still there, although we do have some members like yourself still afloat, look after your junior engineers. Chiefs in my time did not talk to juniors. Bon Voyage.
OK thanks for the welcome. However Junior Engineers are a dead breed. The Cadets go from Cadet to 3OE now, there are no 5/E's or 4/E's. We sail with 1OE + 2OE + 3OE and Ukrainian Electrician. The Ratings are all Filipino, one Oiler,One Wiper and a Fitter.
Some of the ships are now top 4 onlt the rest of the Officers are also Filipino, changed days since I started.

Brian

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Brian, (Chief)I reckon you are now between Singapore 13th Suez 23rd, and back here in Southampton 29th. I trust a qualification for sailing today must be speak the English language, otherwise carry an interpreter, unless you get a ticket in another language, spanish perhaps, like on the P&O a bit of Hindi came in usefull

#14 ·
Pulling Units

The ship operates five years between drydocks and never stops. the maintenance is carried out under a GMC (Global Maintenance Contract) by the Engine Builders.
We are on a fixed day/time arrival schedule, never any down time for maintenance.
I was Cadet through to Second on Doxfords but now all Sulzers. Only a couple of years to go then I will be retired.

brian

#15 ·
Brian,
Presumably the ship is UMS? Is all of the maintenance carried out by contractors with the "lads" doing the basic watchkeeping, duties, "on the box" routines, or do still carry out genset, pumps, etc type maintenance.
Seems a changed world since I hung up me boots and shifter in the early 80's.
I loved the job but as most of us, hated being away from the family. Big problem is in shore side tech management, you still end up being away just as much, for less pay and hardly any leave! Why do we do it!

#17 ·
Engineers at Work

Family life ain't too bad as we are now on a back/back manning system for Masters and Chiefs.
Yes we always run unmanned, I have been sailing on unmanned tonnage for 20+ years now. Engineers are on watches only in a dire emergency.
We do some maintenance but the Manet and sisterships are RBS (Hamburg) Managed and they favour the GMC.
Given we have a 12cylinder Main Engine and four 7cylinder generators then we don't really have enough staff onboard to do all the maintenance.
Still enough to do during 8-5 Monday to Saturday and 8-12 Sunday.

Brian

#21 ·
Manet Unmanned

Greetings.
"Unmanned" = UMS= Unmanned Machinery Space.
The ship has such a high degreee of automation that during the hours 17.00 till 08.00 she runs without anyone in the engine room.
If required the engine can be controlled from the bridge and all other machinery has stby back up systems waiting to kick in if a problem with running machinery should take place.
Basically during the day we only have a look round and complete check lists and logs. The big girl looks after herself as long as the Windows based control system does not play funny b-----s.
Brian

#25 ·
Renamings.

Hi ruud,
looking at the P&ONL web site, PONL Hunter Valley has no further schedule from the end of November 2005.
Is she being renamed?, can not see her on your list, which l must say is very useful.Thanks.
Any news on her?.
If she is a charter vessel that has ended her contract, which ship has replaced her on the RTW voyages.
Hope you can help.
Regards,
ContFan. (Thumb)

#26 · (Edited)
Ahoy ContFan,

I'm not sure, but if you go the PONL site, and click on her name as PONL Hunter Valley, then she is be shown as Buxlink, I thought she was chartered by the German NSB, maybe they have more news about her ID

Note:
Just saw that her name was changed on 31-10-2005
Name of shipDate of recordSource
BUXLINK31-10-2005LRF
P&O NEDLLOYD HUNTER VALLEY14-10-2002LRF
AKER MTW 1401-08-2000LRF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.