Ships Nostalgia banner

Ellerman Wilson Line HULL.

56K views 88 replies 31 participants last post by  Peter Hewson 
#1 ·
as a lad in the late 50s,, I sailed in the old Consuelo,, as a catering boy, Captain Gillis,,now there was a man to be reckoned with, did the north atlantic run,cant ever remember a good crossing,bloody ship used to delve deep, but always came back, another one of the same type was the sister ship Marengo, must have done ten trips in her, always a good crowdand a couple of trips even got Capt Gillis LOL,, but loved that ship,came off when she went in for survey, and never managed to get back, did a couple of trips Brodino, Volo, and more , getting married seemed to end that life, always missed it, retired now, but still in Hull good city

#28 ·
Hi Rich
Your post just seems to have come through now.June 59,I was on the
Livorno.In 61 Jan I joined the LA HORTENSIA,a 15 month trip.After that I was
back on the Marengo,June 62.I guess we have just been missing each other.
Did you use to put the rope lifeline along the main deck on the Marengo.Is
that the ship you could go through the engine room to get forward ? You
certainly was a glutton for punishment been with Capt, Gillis most of the time.
Regards Artie

#31 ·
Hello again Artie,, did 4 trips Marengo ,,june 59 toojan 1960,a couple of trips on th Rinaldo,, then back to Marengo,,for 6 trips,march 61 to dec 61, as you can see was a glutton for the north atlantic LOL,really enjoying this site, bringing back so many happy memories, as for the pubs,, yes bet we have drank together ,, sorry about the delay in answering, still a real poor letter writer cheers again richard.

#34 ·
Hi Terry
Hope you was'nt to dissapointed with your trip
to Hull.A lots changed over the years.A big new
shopping centre opens this week at ST Stephen square.
New bus station & rail station opened yesterday.Its a good
you have your memories,we cannot stop progress.
Regards Artie

#35 ·
Hi all you natives of Hull. I have read all your messages hoping to hear if anyone can remember The Albano. I did several trips on her London to Copenhagen then we were all discharged in Hull. I have good memories of Hull though I was just passing through. I with most of the others were drunk as lords. I sat in one boozer when one of your men from Hull asked me my name. He then gave me my pay off that I had dropped. All white fivers. A good honest guy. I had a job to make him take anything for his honesty. Wonder if it would happen now. Good luck to you all. Joe.

#36 ·
Hello Joe

So glad you enjoyed your times in Hull and the honesty of most people from there ie pay off...I am in my 44th year now and was on Hull pooll to the death..like some one said in a previous thread it took him 4 years before he was offered a Wilson boat..I got one 3rd trip to sea as JOS but that was the last always shanghied for long uns tramps and tankers..I know most of the names in these threads on Wilsons alas most have crossed the bar now although was talking to Nipper Douglas 4 weeks ago he lives in Northern Cyprus now Geoff

#38 ·
Terry Arnold

Hello Artie..I saw in the Hull Daily Mail it was Good old Terry Arnolds 70th if he was still around shame after all the years at sea to have that horrendous accident with a good buddy of mine Kenny Hales..
must admit the game fell to peaces with all this bull that has sprung up ie health and safety i have just recently witnessed 2 filipino ab's who had never been on a stage and they were both in there 30's only knot they possess in their itinerary is a bowling and a clove hitch which majority of the time ends up a cow hitch!! trouble is it's Scaffolding for everything now although safer but has its limitations.
Well I will make this months MN reunion in Hull this month so will catch up with real sailors etc....regards Geoff

#39 ·
Hi Geoff
I sailed with Terry Arnold he was a good mate & seaman.It was a
terrible accident in the dock. Did one of the Birch brothers survive it.
I agree with you about all the health & safety.I found it more of a
hindrance climbing around with harnesses etc,.I bet a lot went through
your mind watching the 2 filipino's on the (stage)Its all behind me now,
just lots of memories. I'm 70 next.Nice to hear from you.
Regards Artie

#40 ·
Yes Artie

One of the Birch boys Brian was involved..Was reading some of the other bumf on here about Capt Gillis the only guy to mark my discharge book in 40 years!!plus a pool burn down,my wife of a couple of weeks went into hospital with appendix and I got to goole as the vessel was leaving the lock so I got a taxi to pier and went out on the pilot launch he said I ain't slowing down to pick an AB up (he had free pilot age I guess) so that was that...BUT he ended up as the seamens welfare officer of Hull how hypercritical can one get

#41 ·
Hi Geoff
Yes I thought It was Brian Biirch.So you had a run in with Gillis.Under your
Cir***stances there no way he should have marked your book,but thats
Gillis allright.He knew you was trying to get back to the ship.I never knew he
ended up seamans welfare officer (hypercritical) is the right word.
Regards Artie

#46 ·
Hi Hullmna
As I said Frank Blampey was a good shipmate of mine.
Frank, Arthur Birch & me sailed together,we liked to get away for a
few months.I sailed with Arthurs brother (Ronnie) a few times in Jebsens.As
you may know he was donkeyman.Yes I remember Jack Cammish,I have been
in his company a few times,in differant pubs.As you will have seen,I was with
Gillis on the Marengo.
Regards Artie

#47 ·
Hi Artie, I knew the Birch brothers Ron & Arthur very well, since they all lived in Gladstone Street. I never sailed with either of them, but my late brother Brian Piercy was a close friend and shipmate of both. He also sailed in Jebsons as I think as Donkeyman, I will be seeing Jack Cammish on Friday at the Hull MNA meeting, I sailed with him on the Rotherwick Castle. I hope I'm doing this right I hav'nt posted on site before. Best regards Eddie

#48 ·
Hi EddIe
Your posts are ok.Yes the Birch brothers was from Gladstone Street,
Im sure I knew your late brother,I certainly know his name.I may have sailed
with him.My memory is not so bright.I am tryingto think of amate of mine,his
name Keith,cannot recall 2 name at the moment.He go's to MNA every
Friday,his wife (Beryl) dont think I spelt that right.Did you know Maurice
Grantham,he passed away recently.he was in Castle Hill same time as my wife. Regards Artie

#49 ·
Hi Artie, yes I knew Maurice Grantham well, I attended his funeral service back in January. The Keith you mentioned, the only one that comes to mind is Stephenson, there was around 100 at Fridays meeting and with the tots flowing its hard to remember who was there. There was a death reported a Charlie Powell, I believe he was from the Hessle Road area, I did'nt know him very well, he was a trawler skipper. Another old seaman I was talking too was Frankie Dawes, do you know him ?, he lives in the North Hull area Regards Eddie

#50 ·
Hi Eddie
Keith Stephenson rings a bell,I used to see him regular on Holderness road.
I beleive he lives in Brazil street.I know he goes to MNA on a Friday.We sailed
together,mention my name to him next time you see him.I dont recollect
Charlie Powell.Frankie Dawes rings a bell.I think you got Keiths name right,now
I think about it.I had a yarn with Maurice while he was in Castle Hill.to be honest I didn't reconognise him at first,with his long hair!. Regards Artie

#51 ·
Hi Artie, I will mention your name to Keith, I will see him next week on the MNA trip to Bridlington. I notice you sailed on the Marengo, I was on her 21/8/61 to 19/11/61. I dont remember many of the crew, the Bosun was call Cyril ?, down below I remember Bobby Lyons, Ken Toohie, and the Burns brothers Ted & John, all slipped the hook now I'm afraid. It was on her that, I met 2 of my brothers in montreal, all on different ships, Brian was on the Athel Princess been away 11 months, another brother David was outward bound on the Consuelo. We are ended up in Joe Beef's, the mate Robertson(Marmalade) gave me the day off, that was a first!!. I have just remembered that Billy Lound AB, was aboard, as he recieved news of his brother being lost off Flamborough on a Hull trawler the Kingston Turquiose I think. Regards Eddie.

#52 ·
Hi Eddie
Yes I was on the Marengo,3 trips in 58 & 2 in 62.I have sailed with Cyril the
Bosun In Wilsons Bobby Lyons I beleive lived in Charles Street,I sailed with
him.I knew the Burns brothers well.Joe Beef's was well known,had a few bevy's in there.Tell Keith not to get to drunk.Enjoy your trip. Regards Artie

#59 ·
hi theskew. my names john meekin,deck boy carlo riolto 1956,os **** cicero boridino1957,edh trentino x9 58-59,ab volo 1960, ab cattaro marengo rapallo,1962-1963,i knew a lot of the names mentioned,i knew frank lampy on the prospereo (not wilsons),great to hear the names again. regards john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.