Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Lloydsman. A hard act to follow.
View Single Post
Old 7th February 2008, 00:27

Lloydsman. A hard act to follow.

Tuesday 05 feb on my way home from work, I was cycling along the roadside of King George dock in Hull. I was just passing a gap between the sheds and as I glanced through the gap towards the quayside i nearly fell of my blooming pushbike. Bold as brass in big white letters, staring me right in the face Lloydsman HULL. I know most people would wonder what all the fuss was about and that it's just a name on a ship, but those in the know will understand exactly where i'm coming from.

Today I just had to take a camera and stop off for a pic or two on my way to work at the Finland terminal. As I approached the new tug i could see a few of the crew on the deck with the paint rollers primed at the ready and I managed to have a quick word with the mate in between his brush strokes. Apparently this tug has been getting a bit of a brush up and is to have an official renaming ceremony on friday 15 feb down at albert dock. This I must see.

Can she live up to the name and fill the shoes of THE Lloydsman? She has got her work cut out to do that I would say.

I will find out more details of the official renaming and update in case any interested parties may fancy an hour or two down at albert dock.

Just so i don't forget, for Ray and any other ex crewmates from UTC, Terry Pickard asked me to pass on his warmest wishes and regards to you all as he never uses the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dock 001.jpg (150.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg dock 004.jpg (75.3 KB, 93 views)