Ships Nostalgia banner

Liverpool Pub Nostalgia

34K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  makko 
#1 ·
#35 ·
THE PIG AND WHISTLE

The sign which was outside
Saying “Emigrants Supplied”
Now is kept within the parlour where it should be safe from thieving.
For this venerable shop
Was where half the world would stop
On its way from Central Europe to its lands of New Believing.

The ancient Pig & Whistle
Is where man has whet his whistle
For centuries, while pausing in his life and its travails.
Here the Iskis and the Oskis
And the Scots and the McLoskeys
Prepared themselves for battle with the wild Atlantic gales.

It is central to a story
Of a sad, dramatic glory,
Casting several million people in a quest for pastures new.
For ‘twas here they came together
From their forests, bog and heather:
The bold, the fit, the Protestant, the Catholic and Jew.

Here they made their embarkations
For their far-off destinations,
Well fortified by victuals which the publican supplied.
Here they set off with their wives
And their children and their lives:
Here were many who succeeded: Here were many more who tried.

The Pig & Whistle, through its portals
Welcomed many lesser mortals,
To whom this simple tavern was the Mother of her trade.
Here were mariners and clerks,
Here were agents, here were sharks,
Here was banter, here was badinage as business deals were made.

How I love you, Pig & Whistle;
I will call and whet my whistle;
And I hope to meet descendants of the Roman, Prod and Jew.
As my city made its living
From the trade their stock was giving,
I will drink to their success when meeting friends from Pastures New.

BY - 2002

#37 ·
Hi, Farmer!

Many thanks for the explanation of the origin of Red Rum! But why "murder"? The plot thickens.

As to KG5 Dock - No, Sir!- Not in Liverpool - although I think that it is right that King George the Fifth opened Gladstone Lock in 1927. For sure, he and Queen Mary opened the first Mersey Tunnel in 1934. Their statues (or busts)are there to the present day. My Mum & Dad walked through the tunnel shortly before it opened. And I think that the Princess Royal opened Seaforth Dock in 1973 - possibly on board a Blue Star ship.

G'donyer!

BY

#43 ·
Waiting for the No.1 outside Brunswick, opposite the Seven Steps on a wet winter night.
When the bus came along the conductor allowed a few on and then put the chain across.

"How long will the next bus be?"
"21 feet 6 inches, same as this one, Ha Ha ha."
"And will it have a sh1thouse on the back same as this one?"

#44 ·
I did a stint as 2nd mate on the buses in Liverpool while awaiting the results of my 2nd mates exam, was an experience some very enjoyable.
If my memory serves me correctly buses were 29ft rear enders, atlantean ones cant remember the length. Routes I was 2nd mate on were 6C, 40. 26 and 27, there were lots of MN folks who were there as both conductors and drivers. In the canteen we seamen and ex seamen usually sat together it was just like smoko sometimes we would be there for a couple of hrs after our shifts ended.

#51 ·
I have just Googled Aintree Iron and there are loads of equally plausible explanations of the words.As always there is a nugget of truth in most of the reasoning,apart from the religious fanatic,and some of them are quite reasoned.The Aintree Iron and Steelworks public toilets,the shape of Aintree racecourse,the block of buildings that include the Flat Iron pub,the LFC team that included Tommy Smith(and he was just hard you should have seen him play)and the old railway tracks to Southport.However overriding all this is Mike McGears admission that he`s not going to say what it is.......maybe he made it up.I lived in the Liverpool area for 15 years both north and south and I never heard the expression used.The OHR was the dockers umbrella and I never heard the Aintree Iron and Steelworks mentioned in any of the many times it was discussed and boy was it regularly mentioned,mourned and discussed

#52 ·
Travelling on the overhead one fine day wearing my brand new light grey suit made to measure by Brass And Jacksons London Rd, a docker of huge proportions bumped into me, he must have been unloading carbon black,or eh says I, he gave me a look as black as the mess he made of my suit. It was a stinking hot day and he must have been p****ed of,who wouldnt be ? a quick retreat to the other end of the carriage was the my best , I took it.

#59 ·
the boathouse

anyone remember this.I was in this pub when I sailed with headline in the seventies.England v Germany.Germany won the game.Being with a bunch of Jocks we were teasing the barman.Got thrown out.
When we returned the next day the gaffer gave us all tickets for the Everton v Liverpool game at goodison.He was an Evertonian and the tickets were for the Gladys road end.Great game,but just my luck it was 0-0.some great times in this wonderful Port.Some great pubs on the dock road

#66 ·
I do remember the Dominion on the Dock Road. Not a pub easily forgotten, bit like that pub in the first Star Wars movie with light sabres and blasters and severed limbs flying about.

(Jester)

#67 ·
Some great pubs along the docks have been mentioned but very few along the south end maybe you will remember some if so let us know. I recall the Severn Steps ,the Baltic Fleet and a pub that sold draught Guinness I think it was the only one that did ,I am talking about the 1950s it was opposite where the Guinness boats tied up I think there was a pub the Flat Iron,by the way the Seven Steps is still there its offices now there were some good pubs around Canning Place I think that one was called the George we lived in for a while until we were evacuated to Ruthin my fathers home ,I think it was during the May blitz another pub used to be opposite the pool at Mann island anyone recall that one . All gone now but memories we have will stay with us of good or even bad boozers happy days.

#69 ·
The Red Lion was still there after Kingsto House was built, the Trawler Inn was along from it going towards Canning Place, one on the corner of Canning Place can't recall the name of it. In Canning Place was the Flying Dutchman, the Custom House, and another one can't recall its name, just off Canning Pl in Sth Castle St was The Belvidere, around the corner on the dock Rd going south was the Dukes Crown, that plus the Belvidere were known for having great draught Guinness. The Dukes crown accepted the Guinness tokens which were issued to the crews on the Guinness vessels for their free pints not sure how many per day they got. After the Dukes Crown was the Baltic Fleet still there as the last of the aforementioned pubs. I can't recall the names of the other pubs going south on the dock Rd apart from the Seven Steps there were others, it might come to me later I can see them mentally but not the names.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.