Ships Nostalgia banner

Aulis (school)

26K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  coxdenis32 
#1 · (Edited)
Top left - the wing for residential training. Bottom left - Instruction by a Senior Midshipman. Top right - Classroom study, the subject - Chartwork. Bottom right - The library for quiet study & reference.

Lifeboat Training School at Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead in which all eligible personnel were trained to become certificated Lifeboatmen. Top Right, the Seamanship School at Odyssey Works, Birkenhead, where all pre-sea training and training for EDH and AB certificates was undertaken for both Midshipmen and Deck Ratings. At noon each day at sea the Master, Officers and Senior Midshipman determined the ship's latitude by observation of the sun (No GPS here!)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Andy,

For a short time 'Aulis' was used by Merseyside Police as their training centre when work was being done on Mather Ave.

I spent a while at the Riversdale complex when I studued for my Chief Mates Cert. in 1984.

It was a pleasure to go back there as a member of Merseyside Police.

Cheers,

George.

#6 ·
Andy

Terry Beggs became Captain/Headmaster at the Indefatigable School on Anglesey in 1988. He had the foresight to leave there in 1990 when an inexperienced headmaster was appointed, and became the training officer for Coe Metcalf in Liverpool. That inexperienced headmaster subsequently caused the end of Indefatigable. Terry is now retired and living happily in Menai Bridge.
A wonderful man, honest as the day is long, and one whom I still have the greatest respect for.

#7 ·
I must be getting old !!!!
I remember when 'Riversdale' was two 1930's semi's knocked into one big boarding house for middies,with accommodation for the boss on the side. You had to knock on Mr.Hutson's door and ask if you could 'go ashore'.......and you had to wait if he hadn't finished his tea.!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
Riversdale and Aulis

I was at Riversdale 63/64. Our class was made up 1/2 Brocks and 1/2 Blu Flu . I have managed to remember most if not all the names of my class mates some of who stayed at Aulis . One of the Aulis teachers was a Capt Rooney ? Terry I think. Between him and a few of us who were Rugby Nuts we got a Riversdale Rugby team started and were quite sucesfull . I have a pic of the first team which I shall try and post next ( I am still trying to figure out my scanner to get reasonable quality ).
Blue Flu eng cadets who stayed at Aulis ; Johnny Willis ( from Inverness ) Yau Se Wah ( Kuala Pela ; near Singapore )Alan Coy ; Rick Foster; Mel Wilson ; Tim Moreby ; Steve Hogg
Other Blue Flu who were from Liverpool and stayed at home were L C Haley Gerry Larkin ; Dave Ireland ( Who lived next door to Paul McCartney and transcribed the music for Love me do !! Dave played in the Liverpool Youth Orchestra and also nights at a club : Blue Angel I think it was called ) Ken Blackburn ( Everton Palace )
Brocklebanks were Derek Roger ; Rickey Guy ; Terry Wynne ( Wigan ) Jim Stephenson ; Bill Gray ( Dumfries ) Martin Clark ( Larne ) Bill Beveridge ( Dundee ) Stan Robinson ; Dave Dowling ; PD Brown ( Culacolts / Sunderland ) Geoff Baker ( Liverpool ); Johnny Collins ( Liverpool ) .
I May have some of the Brocks / Blue Flu mixed up also some stayed at Aulis for 1 st Year and in Digs 2 nd year as I think there was a shortage of accomodation .

Derek

#10 · (Edited)
Hi all!
My first post on here, having only just come across this site whilst searching for a few of my old ships! Great-looking site, already bringing back loads of memories!
I was at Aulis/Riversdale in 72/73, but I'm struggling to remember names from then! Spent a couple of years with BF/ED/GL (OTT) before moving up to Glasgow with Anchor (Runcimans).
Among my ships were (in I think the correct order: MANO (ex-MENELAUS), ASCANIUS, GLENFALLOCH, FULANI, EUCADIA, CALEDONIA, plus a couple of others somewhere in the middle!.
If anyone remembers me, please give me a shout!

Dave Heald

#11 · (Edited)
Inde

barrypriddis said:
Andy

Terry Beggs became Captain/Headmaster at the Indefatigable School on Anglesey in 1988. He had the foresight to leave there in 1990 when an inexperienced headmaster was appointed, and became the training officer for Coe Metcalf in Liverpool. That inexperienced headmaster subsequently caused the end of Indefatigable. Terry is now retired and living happily in Menai Bridge.
A wonderful man, honest as the day is long, and one whom I still have the greatest respect for.
UNFORGIVEN ? OBA (Night) 126 Hood 1967

#14 ·
I never cease to be amazed at how ex indefatigable boys always introduce themselves by their number and division when meeting/speaking to others regarding the school. It was obviously well drummed in to them!!

#16 ·
Aulis

HI DEREK,
Yau Siew Wah is in Singapore, I shall forward this to him to see if he
wants to reply. Cheers Sylvester

Derek Roger said:
I was at Riversdale 63/64. Our class was made up 1/2 Brocks and 1/2 Blu Flu . I have managed to remember most if not all the names of my class mates some of who stayed at Aulis . One of the Aulis teachers was a Capt Rooney ? Terry I think. Between him and a few of us who were Rugby Nuts we got a Riversdale Rugby team started and were quite sucesfull . I have a pic of the first team which I shall try and post next ( I am still trying to figure out my scanner to get reasonable quality ).
Blue Flu eng cadets who stayed at Aulis ; Johnny Willis ( from Inverness ) Yau Se Wah ( Kuala Pela ; near Singapore )Alan Coy ; Rick Foster; Mel Wilson ; Tim Moreby ; Steve Hogg
Other Blue Flu who were from Liverpool and stayed at home were L C Haley Gerry Larkin ; Dave Ireland ( Who lived next door to Paul McCartney and transcribed the music for Love me do !! Dave played in the Liverpool Youth Orchestra and also nights at a club : Blue Angel I think it was called ) Ken Blackburn ( Everton Palace )
Brocklebanks were Derek Roger ; Rickey Guy ; Terry Wynne ( Wigan ) Jim Stephenson ; Bill Gray ( Dumfries ) Martin Clark ( Larne ) Bill Beveridge ( Dundee ) Stan Robinson ; Dave Dowling ; PD Brown ( Culacolts / Sunderland ) Geoff Baker ( Liverpool ); Johnny Collins ( Liverpool ) .
I May have some of the Brocks / Blue Flu mixed up also some stayed at Aulis for 1 st Year and in Digs 2 nd year as I think there was a shortage of accomodation .

Derek

#18 ·
HI DEREK,
Yau Siew Wah is in Singapore, I shall forward this to him to see if he
wants to reply. Cheers Sylvester
Did you ever get in touch with "Wag " ??? I still have to did out the photo of our Rugby team . Wag was either front or 2nd row . We went to London to play the BBC team before going to Twickers to see England play France in the sfternoon . Have a pic of Wag ;Bill Beveridge Geoff Baker and myself taken somewhere around Soho .
Derek

#26 ·
Hello to all,
I have just joined the site after researching some of my former vessles.
I was at Aulis from '68 to '70 as a cadet engineer. Stayed with the company until '74. Couple of years with Denholm Ship Management before emigrating to Austraia. 7 years on BHP ships before taking shore job in a Power Station.
Still here in Australia after 32 years.
I would be happy to hear from anyone who served their Cadetship with me or sailed with me.
I have fond memories of my times with BF, ED & GL, also Liverpool and Birkenhead were interesting places in those days.

Ian

#27 ·
Hmm. October 1968 I was, with 4 other new midshipman, in the top room. We didn't have any electricity in the room but I discovered that a small 'fire-door' led into Mr Hutson's attic. Plugged in the gramophone but was caught out by Mrs H and mildly rebiked for, 'dishonestly obtaining a quantity of electricity'.

#34 ·
I joined Ocean Fleets in the Jan 80 Eng. Cadet intake. We were only at Aulis until March when we moved to Iliad House in Birkenhead. I do remember though that one Year 2 E/C came back late one night, climbed the drainpipe to get into the single cabin building and fell through a skylight onto a pool table.

When we were in 2nd. year and said E/C came back to Birkenhead Tech as Phase 3, he suffered a fit in the refectory. I was able to assist him (having seen and dealt with fits at camp in the USA). I believe that he sinished his studies and left OF thereafter.

Rgds.
Dave

#30 ·
Just read derek rogers account of his time in liverpool 1962 onwards great memory derek,we were in digs together in woodlands road aigburth with tim moreby bill beveridge and bill grey,mostly remember how bad the food was and wishing the andy stewart music would go away.Tim moreby I think lives in or around the stirling area so not so far from you if you are still in Dundee.

#31 ·
Hi Steve ; No I am in Canada now retired . |After I left Brocks 1976 came to Canada and been in shipbuilding until I retired . et Gerry Larkin when he was in Saint John New Brunswick when we fixed his ship !
Had a PM from Dave Dowling a while ago but lost contact .
Nice to here from you ;hope you keep well . Derek
Ma Minchells food was not that good but did sustain us .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.