View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 11:14
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1949 - 1993

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmarconiman View Post
Hi Ron, spot on! Went to Woolverstone along with "2newfie" - you running incognito these days Brian? "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" - LOL!

Woolverstone Hall Boarding School for Boys, as it was to be known, opened on a trial basis in Sept 1950 and was officially opened the following year, but for that first year we shared the establishment with the remaining members of LNS Woolverstone - complete with buglers and nissan huts!

A prior posting named Taffy Edwards as PE Master, he was of course Taffy Evans, long since departed.

Matt Mathews was a great old character. He signed my autograph book with the quote - "Steer by your own compass!" which I surely did, sometimes through some pretty rough and murky seas though Matt.

I have mentioned it before but my time as an R.O. on the Eskbank and old liberty Corabank are recorded on my web site http://www.oldmarconiman.co.uk should anyone be interested. Both under Captain Sam Withers. Good ships and good memories of both.
OMM - Came across this elsewhere, might be of interest?
"Liberty ship S S Corabank ex S S Samfleet, she broke down and drifting in heavy seas 1956, we, on HMS Loch Fada Half the crew were ashore in Aden, when we were rounded up and returned to ship and with all hase left port to the assistance of SS Corabank where we took her in tow, transferred engineers to help solve their problem.Got her safely into port.
Approx 2 years later I was awarded the grand total of 5 -0 7d navy prize (salvage) money. Salvage of S S Corabank 7/8th July 1956."