Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - penrod rig NZ
Thread: penrod rig NZ
View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:33

I joined Grizzly Bear as 2nd Engineer just after it arrived down from New Plymouth and Penrod 74 rig anchored up in Big Glory bay at Stewart Island for major work on its legs. I think it was late 1974, I was with her for the remaining 4 plus years that she was in New Zealand waters. Yes we worked some horrendous weather as Mike said some 140 miles from no where. I done the trip towing the Penrod to Darwin via Lae in New Guinea some 56 days. After that I done a 6 year stint with Tidewater out of New Plymouth. Then skulling around in a dutch dredge for 17 years I went back to the rig tenders in 2006 with Swires in Australia. Hells bells what a difference in the technology in working anchors and supplying different materials for the drilling. The new AHTS vessels are now the state of the art with every modern convenience one can think of. But I still remember fondly the Grizzly bear and all the people that I sailed with, unfortunately most of them were older than me and have since passed on. After 44 years at sea as an engineer I retired back in 2014. Cheers Dave.