Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - penrod rig NZ
Thread: penrod rig NZ
View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:13

Nico,

Wow! I have many photos, all my own, to scan and will set about figuring out just how to do that. Meanwhile, here are two that are not my own but by who or when I'm not sure. The 36, showing the three islands, drilling in foreground, and the jackup 64. It looks vintage 76, 77 so I presume that's when it was. The 57, 58, and 64 were homes for the divers, too, but if the weather got so bad that the jackups moved around a lot, we preferred to be on the 36. If weather got VERY bad, someone would be sent over to advise us to come and drink coffee in the galley and sit out the storm. On Christmas morning, 76, I made a dive that nearly killed me. Not to the sea bed, just to fifty feet to turn a valve and take some measurements, but as was so common in the diving there was one delay after another. I wasn't wearing a hot water suit but a borrowed 1/8 inch wetsuit that was torn out under the armpits. When finally the stage came down to get me I was befuddled with the cold and had no hand strength, my arms floated around me. I really had to fight to get into the stage. Topside, still sensible enough to know that I had to raise my core temperature, I wisely declined a hot shower. It took hours of hot coffee in the galley to warm me up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Platform 36 Placid.jpg (254.5 KB, 6 views)