Ships Nostalgia banner

Canadian Pacific

56K views 121 replies 65 participants last post by  Kirk hetherington 
#1 ·
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray

#38 ·
Weebobbie,
Empress of Britain.
Laid down Jan 1959
Launched May1960
Maiden Voyage April 1961
27,300grt
Pax 192 first 856 tourist
Final liner voyage Sep 1963
Chartered out for cruises
Sold Greek Jan/Feb 1964
Laid up L'pool Aug 1964
R/N "QUEEN ANNA MARIA" for Greek Line.
First Voyage March 1965 (short cruise)
First Line voyage arr,New York April 1965
Cruising from Nov 1965
Final LINE VOYAGE Nov 1972. Then only Cruising/Positioning.
Laid up at Piraeus/Perama Jan 1975
Sold to Carnival Line R/N"CARNIVALE" Dec 1975...and the rest as they say is History!!
J/V company formed with Epirotki R/N "FIESTA MARINA" First Cruise Oct1993.
Not succesful was laid up again in Perama having been R/N "OLYMPIC" Sep 1994
Cruising the Med for Royal Olympic from c. Jan 1995
Sold and R/N "TOPAZ" with major refit. First cruise Apr 1998 for Thomson Cruises
Final Cruise April 2003
Chartered to Japanese Group..'Peace Boat' organization.Arrived Tokyo June 2003
May 2006....STILL IN SERVICE!! 46 Years Young!!
There a number of pix of her on the site as 'TOPAZ' or 'THE TOPAZ'

#40 · (Edited)
Empie Regent

My Dad served on the Empire Regent at one time was
under Canadian Pacific managementas Beaverlodge
Empire Regent
1943 MOWT managed by T.& J.Brocklebank Ltd.
1945 MOWT managed by Furness Withy & Co.
1946 BLACK PRINCE, Rio Cape Line (Furness Withy)
1949 ZEALANDIC, chartered to Shaw, Savill & Albion Line.
1952 BEAVERLODGE, Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd
1960 BENHIANT, Ben Line Steamers Ltd.
1970 VENUS, Witty Cia.Nav.SA, Cyprus.
1971 Scrapped Taiwan.

had a little bit of a hard time researching this ship
as it went through so many name changes

#41 ·
Ahoy,

For all of you CP "lovers", found in the famous old shoebox some of the CP vessels, all taken in the Rotterdam area mid/end '70's

CP Discoverer 1971
CP Trader 1971
CP Voyageur 1970

Attachments

#80 ·
I was in St John N.B. sometime in 1944 when the so called "lucky" BEAVERHILL had a problem sailing fully laden. She grounded on the Hillyards Reef, St. John N.B. and stayed there. I watched it happening. Is there anyone around who was there at the time, or knows anything about it? Hugh Ferguson.
She was known as "lucky" because the convoys she sailed in seemed to avoid attack!

#47 ·
I was shanghied of the :E OF FRANCE"to "BEAVERBURN"in Monteal early one
morning... Empire Boat and really "heavy" on deck, German Deck crew,Dutch
Steward Dept.,and Flemish Firemen: signed on and of every port in Europe and
never returned to UK. Old Man made me do all chartwork on Flying Bridge,no
cover from sleet , pine trees in the St Lawrence instead of buoys, ready for ice.

#48 · (Edited)
Hi Geoff, Not quite your time, a year in front actually. I did what amounts to a season on the Beaverfir from 25th march 1964, ( still using ice-breakers on the St. Lawrence!) till19th. december, 1964. ( 5 trips) home just in time for xmas. Only 3000 tons gross! she rolled like a barrel! I well remember surfing across the laundry room deck while hand scrubbing my dungys. lol. She was sold 3 times, 1972 to Liberia, 1975 to Venezuela, 1980 to cayman Islands, was wrecked on 20th. september 1982 at a place called Barra De Santigo. (Scribe) Cheers Colin Knight, (Deck).

#49 ·
Hi Geoff
I was on the Beaverelm for one trip in Oct/Nov 1966 as 4th eng after joining her from the Imperial Star (a terrible ship,B&W poppet valve 9 cylinder twin screw) which was then tied up in front of her. Excellent ship. Des? was Chief Keith Dancy was 2nd. I cannot remember anyone else. I then joined the R.B. Angus and stayed with her until she sank. I joined the Beaverfir in May or June 1967 for a trip and then went to the H,R,McMillan.
Cheers

Jeff

#50 ·
Hello all ,I joined Beaverelm in Dec 62 as Chippy,more or less straight out of my apprenticeship.I did four trips in her then joined the Fir for eight trips,my last trip was back on the Elm sailng in June 67 .plus i did stints working by in the Vic.I enjoyed my time at C.P.especially on the Great Lakes ,not so good in the winter as you know,talk about rock n roll.

#52 ·
Hello Geoff, Did you say that you were 4th Eng. on the Beaverfir in 1966. I was 4th Eng. on her in 1962. Were all the beer labels still stuck inside the wardrobe in the 4ths cabin?
An interesting fact that I just uncovered yesterday. Canadian Pacific bought the fleet of Beaver ships from Elder Dempster in 1903. Hey, where would we be without computers.

#53 ·
There is a lot of confusing information on the Web. I know that it was definately the Empress of Canada that caught fire in Gladstone dock in 1953. There is another reference to the Empress of Canada being torpedoed by an Italian submarine in either 1942 or 1943. Strangely she was carrying Italian POWs and an awful lot of them were lost. I can only put this down to the fact that CP was forever changing the names of their ships. I`m sure that they lost another ship by a fire. I remember one thing they were very strict about fire drill. We would be questioned about Fire extinguishers and Fire exits and if you didn`t know the locations you were in trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.