Ships Nostalgia banner

Springburn College

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Harrisman 
#1 ·
A recent news item has reminded me of Springburn, Glasgow. I did my phase 3 cadetship there at the college 1971\72. probably one of the last there before it moved to Glasgow Nautical college. Anybody else remember their time at Springburn ?

#2 ·
Was at Springburn, doing my Phase 3 from Feb 1973 to Feb 1974. By then it was Glasgow Nautical College on Mon & Tue, then Springburn on Wed/Thurs/Fri. Living in Radnor Street, near Kelvin Hall at the time. The No32 bus, started its route right outside the flat and took us all he way to Springburn...brilliant

#8 ·
My First post!
I was an engineer apprentice with Shell. Began at Stow College in Sept 1966, then did 2 x 6 month trips in 1968. Started at Springburn in Sept 1969.
Had a great time there.
The marine dept principal (forgotten his name) was a real character - he used to use us to do jobs for his buddies. We fitted out a car repair shop with air compressors we got from Rosyth.
Left the MN in 1973 to work at Shell's Stanlow refinery then moved to New Zealand in 1983 to work in a steam turbine power station.
Having a meet up with old Shell flatmates in June at the Lensbury.

#10 · (Edited)
More memories from 71/72 at Springburn.
LEJ setting fire to a lecture's car, well the carpet, whilst replacing the plate beneath the pedals.
Weekends at Balmaha and attempting to ski, with college skis, at Glen Shee.
"Resting" in the LP cylinder of the triple expansion engine.
Watching the single cylinder diesel "walk" around the workshop.
The smell of the Teachers bottling plant next door. Etc Etc

I had failed my maths OND in phase 1 so only had the to do this again and had a easy time academically at the college so spent more than my fair share of time in the workshops on the lathes. Useful time for later at sea with a couple jobs which I doubt I could have done otherwise. However the difference between the colleges Triumph 2000's (new) and the lathes at sea, usually v.old or 4:1 belt drive on the Mitsubishi's (Toyo?) was amazing.

So for me one of the good times with BP, one of many ie Panama on the Renown, Brunei, the R boats of course, bird and ity boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.