Ships Nostalgia banner

Pub Lunch.

14K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  R798780 
#1 ·
I am having a Pub Lunch at my house for a few retired MN friends in Mid April.
I have many happy memories of Pub Lunches, mostly at anchor in the Gulf but due to overindulgence I cannot remember the menus.
Can any of my Catering Colleagues give me a sample menu that is within my and the Memsabih's ability to cook and is typical of mid 1970's fare.

Cheers,

ES.

#33 ·
Why not? I have a couple of jars of my pickled onions and my village shop has plenty of vintage Cheddar made in County Wexford. I just can't offer good English bitter as I live in Ireland, but a pint of Smethwicks also goes down quite well and a pint of Guinness even better! (Jester)

#38 · (Edited)
Hi ES
Sorry for my late input, due to work commitments. In my view there's two ways (or three) you can go about this. You know your company best.

Number one option. As suggested an all liquid affair, but with the saturation of alcohol invariably comes hunger, so Keep some nibbles handy on that one.

Number two option being a bought in affair pre cooked or frozen from your local Supermarket and Iceland. Job done no mess plenty of variety. You can even pick up trays of ready made sandwiches.

But if your all looking for a bit of Nostalgia go for a hot and cold Home cooked mix.
Either a chili or chicken curry. Fried Rice, jacket potatoes, and garlic bread.
On the cold side a plate of mixed cold meats, a few sausage rolls, couple of plate pies, and some salads you can either knock up yourself or get from the local Asda.
You could be adventurous and do devilled kidneys or kedgree depending on the depth of your skills. His a shout if you need any recipes.
Cheers

#55 ·
Was up the gulf at anchor for more than 100 days pizza and beef jalfregee were regular meal items also when beer ran short rationed to 6 cans per man per day until company tanker bought relief supplies
Now that's what I call a company! A tanker full of beer, Bags I the tank cleaning contract although I won't guarantee it being gas free afterwards!(Pint)(Pint)(Pint)(Pint)

#45 ·
Rumbole always had a fried slice with his breakfast and it did him no harm. My Grandfather, who was at sea all his life, called it creash bread, and today the Ulster Fry has a slice of fried soda.
I'm going to have an Ulster Fry for my breakfast but if I'm caught the wife will kill me.

#48 ·
Still available but in many establishments it has been tarted up to be a gourmet meal. I blame Masterchef. Bacon has to be a ham fillet, cabbage has to be savoy or hispi and the white sauce is now referred to as bechemel.
To complicate matters many diners call Eire the Republic of Ireland. Where will it all end?

#49 ·
I knew this country was doomed years ago when I saw chips on a pub menu described as 'French fries.'

I advocated the immediate nuking of the USA and France at the time but alas the spirit of burning down Washington and Waterloo had long since passed. :sweat:

[=P]

#50 ·
My mouth is watering from all these "Gormet" menus!! ..... Mine would be plenty of good quality pork pies and "scotch" eggs, chicken or beef "milanesas" cut into cut into "squares for picking up with a fork, lots of good cheese and pickles or chutneys,a selection of sandwiches,some "dips" and a couple of hot plates, and bowls of fresh salads. .......But if the "Guests" were sitting at table it should be more formal .........Why not contact Your local friendly butcher and cook a whole lamb over the coals...... Delicious!!........and a game stopper Good luck

#52 ·
Never heard of pickled onions made with cloves, I always use pickling spices, they are small hard spices similar in appearance to cloves, the only trouble I have with making them is that they do tend to go soft, I have heard that you should soak the onions in salt for several hours before putting into a jar of malt vinegar but this doesn't always seem to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.