Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - T H Watermeyer
Thread: T H Watermeyer
View Single Post
Old 21st October 2005, 18:34

35 years ago I made a 1/32 scale radio-controlled working model of Sct. Knud (St. Canute in her Anglophile form!). In all this time all I have had to replace are the odd 6v battery, rebuild the gearbox and replace all her lights with up-to-date LED circuits! This tug has a fascinating history (which I won’t go into here) and, it seems, has become quite a popular radio-controlled scale working model, especially since Graupner turned out a kit which, incidentally, lacks scale in many aspects. I am most anxious to obtain the drawings published in (I think) ‘Ships Monthly’ and about 1966 to 1969. These drawings showed Sct. Knud as she probably was configured when acquired by the Fowey Harbour Commission in the mid-60s. Any readers have this or have any ideas?? Failing that – any readers have authentic general arrangements drawings of her?

Next query: I am busy on a 1/32 scale model of C.F. Kayser, one of the twin screw harbour tugs based in Port Elizabeth (South Africa) and built by Lobnitz in Renfrew. This is a huge model with a displacement of around 42kg! Back in the ‘60s I took a number of photographs of CFK with the idea of using these detail pics to make a super-scale model. Now I realise that I really need many more pics and wonder if any readers have some they would care to share. CFK as I knew her in the 60s differs considerably from the original drawings – more so than her sister ship ‘Eriksen’.

Last query! My next project – simply because I have her drawings ex South African Railways and Harbours – is to be the ‘William Weller’ which I intend making to 1/32 scale as well and as per her configuration when she left Italy. This is not because Weller was anything special (she was soooo underpowered that on one occasion when detailed to go to Mossel Bay in the face of a strong south-wester, she had to turn back to PE having made no headway in some hours ‘flat-out’ steaming!) but simply because she looks attractive and will be a darn sight more portable than CFK! Anyone have pics of her, or her sister ships?

Regards and thanks for a great website, Robin